HF Boards has gotten soft

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
1 game to Doughty and 3 to Kadri sent peoples head's for a loop.

The general softening of hockey is that the "tough" fans now applaud/defend gutless dirty play while the "soft" fans call for suspensions, where it used to be "tough" fans calling for retribution and "soft" fans calling for penalties and to get em back on the scoreboard.

The part that irks me that the "tough" fans seem oblivious to the fact that their own stances have slid just as much with the state of the game and can't seem to see how hilarious it is to defend rats while being advocates for "tough hockey"

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I know they stickied an 'anti whining' ordinance on HF mains and they want to avoid threads you don't like.

The problem is when you start threads for these soft ass hits with clickbait titles 'Should Marchand get suspended for this' and proceeds to do nothing remotely close to suspendable it's kinda hard to ignore.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I see where you are coming from as you recently made one such thread begging for Marchand to be suspended for nothing.

Fans need to toughen up, hockey is the greatest sport for a reason - the combination of speed, skill, and toughness makes it so unique.
For nothing, cute. Go cry about the refs some more, I know you've been doing it all season.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
No. The should Marchy be suspended for nothing thread is.

Far from a Marchand fan but yeah that thread is something. I don't generally disagree with your premise, and do think it's a real problem that's the fault of a larger societal issue of "the other side is the devil" ... which is a wholly separate non-HF discussion.

But crying about fans needing to be tougher? Because there are people expressing opinions (regardless of if they're wrong or not) about your favorite hockey player/team? It's beyond ironic and just sad.

Want fans to toughen up? Maybe start yourself (not the quoted poster but certainly others in this thread) by not crying about every controversial hot take, most of which are made by 12 year olds (again, on the internet) looking for a reaction.

Like there's a real discussion here to have around "suspension culture" and having a better grasp on what constitutes a fair play versus not so that people are never genuinely confused if a clean open ice hit against their favorite player is a suspension worthy offense. This thread likely isn't going there.

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
Of course but the mentality that's being called out right now is because of a much larger discussion in regards to player safety. A safer league is going to come with some practices and one of them is fans being more attentive in actively calling out things that can affect safety even if it can be nitpicky. I don't actively actually believe anyone here wants to put the players in danger but having an attitude that promotes old style hockey is counter intuitive if we're all striving to protect the people on the ice that have to do this their whole life.

Yes but physicality is part of hockey. It always has been and should always be. Why would we let fans, many who have never played the game even remotely competitively have any impact on the rules of the game? They're fans, their job is to watch and be entertained. Not to cry on social media every time a play happens that they think should be a fine/suspension. A lot of the time the reactions are emotion based because it happened to a player/team they cheer for.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Society has gotten educated. The uneducated don’t know how to keep up so they simply resort to blanket statements like your post.
If by educated you mean nosy then yes.

Let’s be honest here. There’s lots of people who love a good bitch sessions about things they don’t really care about. Soapboxes ate all the rage these days.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Every ticky tack penalty seems to get a thread nowadays begging for a suspension. Give it a rest. This is the Stanley Cup Playoffs. You’re acting like soccer cry baby fans.

I support suspending players for illegal hits. But god damn give it a rest with all these threads. They’re usually minor penalties at most.

Let the boys play.

What do you expect when a sizeable portion of the base on here are teenagers? Damn Gen Z...

Reactions: rosenqvist

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
Every ticky tack penalty seems to get a thread nowadays begging for a suspension. Give it a rest. This is the Stanley Cup Playoffs. You’re acting like soccer cry baby fans.

I support suspending players for illegal hits. But god damn give it a rest with all these threads. They’re usually minor penalties at most.

Let the boys play.

Not to be that guy, but there are more reported injuries in soccer than hockey. :dunno::P

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Even better is that the majority of the fanbases on HF seem to think the NHL has an agenda against them and is pulling the strings to screw them over. Or somebody in the league office hates their team due to playing for a rival in the past.

I've never once seen someone say "thankfully the NHL has our back against _____", or "let's see ____ try their garbage against us, the NHL will hook us up and punish them to the fullest."

LOL
Yup. All fan bases are the same. Even if they claim they're different, they're all the same.

Reactions: Viqsi

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I know they stickied an 'anti whining' ordinance on HF mains and they want to avoid threads you don't like.

The problem is when you start threads for these soft ass hits with clickbait titles 'Should Marchand get suspended for this' and proceeds to do nothing remotely close to suspendable it's kinda hard to ignore.
And also factor in that there are upwards of a half dozen every night by fan bases that feel they've been wronged.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
The biggest whiners that are crying for suspensions are fans of the teams that employ some of the biggest goons and cheap shot artists in the game.

They love to scream “keep your head up son, this ain’t lacrosse” when one of their players lays a questionable hit but when the favor is returned they cry foul and demand suspensions for “dirty” play.

You teams that play a physical brand of hockey and like to play on the line and over it want old time hockey? Fine, don’t whine when “old time hockey” is used on you.

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
I understand when fans call for suspensions for headshots, or any blatant attempt to injure another player. That's logical. The problem is the gap between fans who want to see players destroyed into oblivion, and ones who cry for fines/suspensions for every bodycheck or slash. It's a large gap.

I love old-school hockey, but understand the need to make the rules to protect, so players can have sustainable careers. We don't need players retiring because they got elbowed in the head 3 times in 2 seasons and their careers are done in their 20's. Large fines and suspensions should be used to influence players to be more responsible with their bodies. On the flipside, these new-age fans who call for punishment for legal hits because the player got hurt, and then smugly say "agree with me or you need to educate yourself you caveman", are not helping either.

Reactions: egelband

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
The biggest whiners that are crying for suspensions are fans of the teams that employ some of the biggest goons and cheap shot artists in the game.

They love to scream “keep your head up son, this ain’t lacrosse” when one of their players lays a questionable hit but when the favor is returned they cry foul and demand suspensions for “dirty” play.

You teams that play a physical brand of hockey and like to play on the line and over it want old time hockey? Fine, don’t whine when “old time hockey” is used on you.

Darcy Tucker/Tie Domi and Matt Cooke/Ulf Samuelsson from two of the fanbases that do much of the whining. Let that sink in.

Last edited:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Let the boys play.

Excellent post. Every single discussion is a whiny fan calling for a suspension on the other team for a borderline play. End the embarrassment.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Always been like that...

So many members so you get many opinions.

Some of those prefer hockey to be a teaparty gentlemen like game, others see/want anything goes war on ice.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
I understand when fans call for suspensions for headshots, or any blatant attempt to injure another player. That's logical. The problem is the gap between fans who want to see players destroyed into oblivion, and ones who cry for fines/suspensions for every bodycheck or slash. It's a large gap.

I love old-school hockey, but understand the need to make the rules to protect, so players can have sustainable careers. We don't need players retiring because they got elbowed in the head 3 times in 2 seasons and their careers are done in their 20's. Large fines and suspensions should be used to influence players to be more responsible with their bodies. On the flipside, these new-age fans who call for punishment for legal hits because the player got hurt, and then smugly say "agree with me or you need to educate yourself you caveman", are not helping either.
Agree. If someone finds themselves routinely complaining about hits on their players AND penalties/fines/suspensions of their players but never seem to notice when their players are the bad actors, someone needs to grow the hell up.

Same thing with reffing in general. The homerism is astonishing. Laughable. There are blowout games and the losing team fans darkly opine that the main reason is bad penalties. Jesus, get a grip people.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Always been like that...

So many members so you get many opinions.

Some of those prefer hockey to be a teaparty gentlemen like game, others see/want anything goes war on ice.
What annoys me is when someone openly wishes harm on an opposing player. Really? Anyone who feels that way should stop watching hockey, it's not healthy to harbor that kind of ugly attitude.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
What annoys me is when someone openly wishes harm on an opposing player. Really? Anyone who feels that way should stop watching hockey, it's not healthy to harbor that kind of ugly attitude.

I wouldn't ever wish harm... but I'd cheer/like to see a big clean hit on player or him lose a fight...

I don't want to see concussions or broken bones, but not opposed to lost teeth or bloody nose if that makes sense...

Nothing serious but I guess a form of justice being dealt?

Reactions: Flair Hay

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
1 game to Doughty and 3 to Kadri sent peoples head's for a loop.

The general softening of hockey is that the "tough" fans now applaud/defend gutless dirty play while the "soft" fans call for suspensions, where it used to be "tough" fans calling for retribution and "soft" fans calling for penalties and to get em back on the scoreboard.

The part that irks me that the "tough" fans seem oblivious to the fact that their own stances have slid just as much with the state of the game and can't seem to see how hilarious it is to defend rats while being advocates for "tough hockey"

• Pests are fine (Kesler, Avery, etc)
  • Bad hits are being suspended (Doughty, Kadri)
  • The only problem is the douchebags can be reckless and not face any consequences (Marchand as an example)

Players/League haven't figured out how to police reckless with the current instigator rules.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
Honestly, the @mods need to clean this up or lock the threads.

The subban, McAvoy and Marchand threads are particularly egregious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad