Hey Wings Beat Reporters, I Know You Read This Forum

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Its my personal take to chalk up this (so far) abysmal season to injuries. It is a legit excuse.

But even a fully healthy roster as currently constructed is no Cup threat by even the most homerific among us.

Let the season play as is for the time being and, inevitably imo, the losses will pile up and we sell at the deadline.

Flip
Kronwall
Samuelsson
Franzen (yeah right...whose going to take that albatross contract)
Howard

...all on the chopping block for the right offer. I would unload as many vets for draft picks as possible (Cleary, Eaves, Miller).

Get younger, faster and hungrier overnight. It would force Babcock to play the kids in more prominent roles (Tatar, Andersson, Emmerton (meh..PK maybe), etc).

Its not tanking, imo. Its realizing and addressing the completely flawed roster that currently exists. Grab Jay-Bo out of Calgary for Kronwall, slip Flip in a deal for Weiss and turn the rest into bonafide NHL defensemen. Call up Nyquist and ride it out.

Dear Lord, please let this be what happens.

If Holland moves prospects and picks for older players/rentals the likes of Visnovsky I'm going to smash something.

We need to be sellers not buyers. No question about it.

RedWingsNow*

Hey Beat Reporters.

Over his last 34 games, Justin Abdelkader as NO GOALS and ONE ASSIST and is -14

Danny Cleary, in 35 games, has 6 Goals, 3 assists and is -12.

Run those numbers by coach, would ya?

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
Hey Beat Reporters.

Over his last 34 games, Justin Abdelkader as NO GOALS and ONE ASSIST and is -14

Danny Cleary, in 35 games, has 6 Goals, 3 assists and is -12.

Run those numbers by coach, would ya?

Abby has ZERO business playing in the top-six or on the 2nd PP unit. He has absolutely no scoring touch and just because he is a "big body" does not translate into him being a good net-front player.

I am already so tired of seeing him catch an entry pass from Pav and just proceed to throw a weak wrister into the goalies stomach. I would love to see Babs give Andersson a net-front role on the 2nd PP unit for a little while...at least he has some touch around the net.

RedWingsNow*

Real good is one word when Babcock says it

I thought Abdelkader played realgood

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
If a player on the Tigers or Lions was that bad and was getting prime playing time fans and reporters would be up in arms. Wings get treated with kids gloves. Eh, what can ya do?

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
If a player on the Tigers or Lions was that bad and was getting prime playing time fans and reporters would be up in arms. Wings get treated with kids gloves. Eh, what can ya do?

I don't know about that. Inge was pretty bad from 2006 until last season, so it took 6 years for him to be run out of town. Santiago is still around despite being the Cory Emmerton of the Tigers for the past 6 seasons. Raiola and Backus have been on the Lions for 11 seasons, have been terrible the entire time and are still around (and even praised as being consistent veterans by some. Yeah, consistently crap).

It takes a long, long time before Detroit Sports writers actually become objective writers willing to put someone to task for their performance.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

People defended Joey Harrington to the death, reporters too. This thread needs to stop acting like every other team here doesn't get a pass.

Harrington, Inge, the Pistons until they were missing the playoffs.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
I don't know about that. Inge was pretty bad from 2006 until last season, so it took 6 years for him to be run out of town. Santiago is still around despite being the Cory Emmerton of the Tigers for the past 6 seasons. Raiola and Backus have been on the Lions for 11 seasons, have been terrible the entire time and are still around (and even praised as being consistent veterans by some. Yeah, consistently crap).

It takes a long, long time before Detroit Sports writers actually become objective writers willing to put someone to task for their performance.

Raiola and Backus have not been horrible the entire time. They have been average and prevented us from getting studs in those positions but they have not been terrible. Santiago is fine for what he is since he doesnt start or have a prominent role on the team.

RedWingsNow*

People defended Joey Harrington to the death, reporters too. This thread needs to stop acting like every other team here doesn't get a pass.

Harrington, Inge, the Pistons until they were missing the playoffs.

There's a big difference.

Especially on talk radio where NOBODY questions the Red Wings' coaches. Maybe because nobody on talk radio actually follows the team closely enough to know what those decisions are.

Harrington was QB for years, but he was getting nipped at for years. At least questions were asked.

Red Wings beat reporters rarely even ask tough questions.

Helen St. James at least asked White some questions and stirred the pot a little bit.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Raiola and Backus have not been horrible the entire time. They have been average and prevented us from getting studs in those positions but they have not been terrible. Santiago is fine for what he is since he doesnt start or have a prominent role on the team.

Raiola and Backus being average is as laughable as Cleary playing on Datsyuk's wing or Jason Williams manning a point on the Detroit frickin' Red Wings PP.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I tweeted her something a few weeks back asking a serious question and never heard anything. Which who am I, I wouldn't tweet me back either. :sarcasm:

Whenever I see her respond to "critical" questions, the answers are usually smug or sarcastic.

bgkennedy19

Jan 24, 2011
My 2 cents:

No idea what is with the Kronwall hate. It is not his fault he is asking to do a job he clearly cannot do. However they have no other options atm. He is not a #1 defenseman and never will be.
I can’t imagine the pressure on his shoulders playing with that D corps and trying to soften the loss of our top 3 dmen over the last 2 years. No team can deal with that.

That is like asking J. Oduya to shoulder the load if Keith, Seabrook and Hammer all left in two years. He has been a very effective Dman for us prior to this year. He just needs help.
I have not seen one Kronwall signature hit yet this year.

Abby needs to go back to the 4th line where he can be effective, I am actually excited to see a Helm, Abby and Tootoo line.

Please play Tatar with Dats, give him someone please. I’d be fine with Cleary, Dats and Tatar until Bert or Sammy get back, and then Cleary can go back down a line or 2. The kid just needs more ice time, I notice him so much more than most wings not named Dats or Z.

Pleasantly surprised with Andersson and Emmerton and has anyone seen Filppula, swear we had a very good top 6 player but have yet to see him this year.

Brunner – Z – Mule
Tatar-Dats-Bert
Sammy –Filp –Cleary (this line scares me a little, rather Eaves but Babs wont bench him ever IMO)
Too2-Helm -Abby

Kronwall/Smith
Ericsson/White
Quincy/Kindl

Maybe the wings are tanking by not bringing up the kids and giving Abby and Cleary 2nd line and PP time. Who knows, maybe all the youthful energy and ambition might motivate this team to put forth a good effort every night and ruin our chances at a good draft pick.

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
As far as tweeting reporters, the only one who seems to respond is Bob Duff of the Windsor Star. St. James never responds to anything. Duff always defends the Wings but at least he usually takes the time out to respond and give a decent answer.

JBauerly97

Jan 8, 2013
Coldwater, MI
Whenever I see her respond to "critical" questions, the answers are usually smug or sarcastic.

She replied to somebody last night like that. Can't remember exactly what the person said, but it was something like a meltdown when the Wings were only down 1-0 :laugh:

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008
Raiola and Backus being average is as laughable as Cleary playing on Datsyuk's wing or Jason Williams manning a point on the Detroit frickin' Red Wings PP.

Apparently you dont compare similar LTs and Centers in the NFL, because if you did you would know Backus has been, statistically, well above average at LT.

For 10+ years, btw. Is he the best? Not by a longshot, but he isnt abysmal either.

Raiola I understand. His best games were always average NFL caliber. Couldnt/Cant run block well at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad