Hey Wings Beat Reporters, I Know You Read This Forum

RedWingsNow*

Grow a spine, reporters.
Ask some questions.

Coach, what's up with Niklas Kronwall. He's on the ice for 68 percent of goals against? Is Kronwall struggling? Are the forwards not helping? Is this just adjusting to a new role?

HOW MUCH LONGER CAN YOU WAIT FOR HIM TO GET BETTER BEFORE MAKING A CHANGE?

Coach, what doi you see in Lashoff? He's out there for an enormous amount of goals and for some reason, the team can't score when he's on the ice, either.
Why is he playing over Kindl?

WHY IS HE PLAYING AT ALL?

Hey coach, the kid Tatar looks good and is getting chances with real good frequency.

WHY IS HE ON LINE FOUR WHILE ABDELADER SKATES WITH DATSYUK?

RedWingsNow*

It would be awesome to have Larry Brooks as Wings hockey columnist.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
Yea it would. You can tell that Babs intimidates most of these reporters. They're always asking the obvious questions...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think they would be scared to ask a lot of the questions most fans have. They need to maintain a working relationship with these people. Lets face it picking a fight with Holland and Babcock isn't a great idea. The Wings are a lot harder on the media than a lot of teams, they freeze people out, part of the reason our beat writers by and large are well behaved in terms of coverage. The management and coaches should be very thankful they don't have to deal with a Canadian media market right now as some rather obvious questions need to be asked.

Can't believe you left out, how in the world does Cleary get more minutes than Zetterberg ever in a game?

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Why do you feel the need to waste internet space? 95% of the other threads have this same crap. I'm sure you can find a way to slip this drivel somewhere else. Better yet, why don't you email them directly about the matter. Ansar Khan's been great with answering my questions whenever I pop him one.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
Why do you feel the need to waste internet space? 95% of the other threads have this same crap. I'm sure you can find a way to slip this drivel somewhere else. Better yet, why don't you email them directly about the matter. Ansar Khan's been great with answering my questions whenever I pop him one.

*Whines about forum content.. Always on the forums*

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I like Khan a lot, probably my favorite regular guy covering them, but at the same time he is in their back pocket in terms of what he is willing to do.

The more impressive part is even Bobby Mac, LeBrun and Custance are completely in their pocket. Even the national guys that have nothing to lose won't go after either Babcock and Holland.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
By the way this culture even goes back to the players. Yzerman would routinely freeze guys out the media he didn't like. The only team I can think of that is really harder on the media is Colorado.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
The best Wings beat writer over the past few years was Bruce MacLeod -- he always dug deeper than most of the reporters and often broke news first. It's too bad he moved on.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I'll allow this, but only if Torts is brought in to coach the Wings.

Hell yeah. I don't know if Torts would be doing a better job coaching than Babs with this team so far, but I do know beyond a shadow of a doubt that his post game pressers would be must see TV! I can only imagine Torts calling out Kronwall after every game, killing anyone who makes commits bad turnovers or takes bad penalties (a lengthy list after each game)... it would be magical.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Hell yeah. I don't know if Torts would be doing a better job coaching than Babs with this team so far, but I do know beyond a shadow of a doubt that his post game pressers would be must see TV! I can only imagine Torts calling out Kronwall after every game, killing anyone who makes commits bad turnovers or takes bad penalties (a lengthy list after each game)... it would be magical.

I love Torts. He's fun to watch and he's a great coach. He's never afraid to rattle the star players cages. That's key. If Babcock goes, he'd be on my short list of guys I hope are also getting fired at the same time.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I love Torts. He's fun to watch and he's a great coach. He's never afraid to rattle the star players cages. That's key. If Babcock goes, he'd be on my short list of guys I hope are also getting fired at the same time.
Tortorella is a great motivator. I don't know if he's a great coach, especially of a small, skilled team. He's more of a gritty, hard-working type.

Then again, so is Babcock.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
All of Detroit sports media sucks.

Pretty nice gig to be a coach or an athlete in this town. The owners have deep pockets, the fans low expectations, and the press will rarely ever make your job uncomfortable.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
All of Detroit sports media sucks.

Pretty nice gig to be a coach or an athlete in this town. The owners have deep pockets, the fans low expectations, and the press will rarely ever make your job uncomfortable.

You forget the flip side of this though, we have kind of a unique selling point for say a Corey Perry. He might want to play in a hockey market but not put up with a lot of what has to go with it. You pretty much named everything a guy like him is likely looking for.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Pretty nice gig to be a coach or an athlete in this town.

Yeah! Just ask all of the long-standing Lion's coaches who were able to endure losing seas... oh. 7 coaches since 2000. Or an average of 1.8 years per coach.

Sitting pretty once you get that job. :naughty:

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
This is news to me.

Then you must not pay much attention to other sports markets.

I remember listening to New York sports radio over the internet when the Rangers missed the playoffs by a shootout loss to the Flyers a few years ago. Never in seven years of listening to 97.1 have I ever heard Red Wings fans even close to that irate. And we've had our share of upsets and disappointments.

Sure this site is full of diehards but the average hockey fan in this town is pretty lame. When/if we miss the playoffs there will hardly be a peep.

Yeah! Just ask all of the long-standing Lion's coaches who were able to endure losing seas... oh. 7 coaches since 2000. Or an average of 1.8 years per coach.

Sitting pretty once you get that job. :naughty:

Not even fair considering who made that string of hirings.

And it took a social uprising to dethrone that clown.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

You said it was an easy gig being a coach in Detroit. So sue me for thinking of the most popular sport in the US first. :laugh:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Then you must not pay much attention to other sports markets.

I remember listening to New York sports radio over the internet when the Rangers missed the playoffs by a shootout loss to the Flyers a few years ago. Never in seven years of listening to 97.1 have I ever heard Red Wings fans even close to that irate. And we've had our share of upsets and disappointments.

Sure this site is full of diehards but the average hockey fan in this town is pretty lame. When/if we miss the playoffs there will hardly be a peep.

Well 97.1 is terrible Radio and it's on FM which doesn't cater to the diehards like AM used to. If you wanted to hear people rip the Wings you needed to listen to Stoneyu and Wojo back in the day or Sean Baligian back in the early 2000's. FM only cares about ratings, not quality radio. It's like ESPN how they'd rather show Poker over quality television b/c it gets ratings.

Hosts have to present the topic for them to be ripped, the 97.1 crew knows nothing about hockey or the Wings so there's no opportunity to rip them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->