Hey, wait a minute...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
I just thought of this...

If they pick the draft team backwards, then it means...

A team with 3 balls is more likely to be picked first. So this means that teams like the Pens or Rangers are more likely to get the 30th pick than the first! If they start by drawing for who gets the 30th pick and go at reverse until the 1st pick, then the best chance a team has of getting the first pick is to never get picked during the draw, which means that teams like Detroit or Colorado have a better chance of picking first than Pittsburgh or New York!

JeremyCrunch

Jan 5, 2005
They'll still draw from 1 to 30...but they'll be revealed from who gets pick 30 to who gets 1. So....no.

Rails

Mar 30, 2003
LBurg and FBurg, VA
Visit site
Thunderbird107 said:
I wonder why no one had thought about that or posted it yet? :dunno:

:shakehead
Because we all knew the league wasn't that stupid...I mean honestly, they come up wit ha 600 page document that governs the league for the next four - six years, but they **** up the lottery? Come on people!

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
jeremyblues said:
They'll still draw from 1 to 30...but they'll be revealed from who gets pick 30 to who gets 1. So....no.

Hmmm, so it'll be a top 30 countdown...all we need is sappy little blurbs to accompany each team

And the Ducks waddle off with the 15th pick.... :p:

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
please, keep this in the Multiple Balls: Disadvantage thread on the NHL Draft forum

there are also 2 mathematical proofs, and one empircal analysis which disprove this theory
:propeller

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
The results are being released 30-1 because if they started off with "The 1st overall pick goes to Team A" then the hype is over and half the audience flips the channel.

do it 30-1 and hype builds up as the number dwindles and fans say "WE'RE STILL IN IT!"

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I will not stay to the bitter end--once my Blackhawks' draft slot is revealed --unless we are in it all the way to #2,or DET goes out before us....if somehow those "hockeytown USA'ers" are still in it after we go out --I will not stand the humiliating possibility they could make it to #2 --with then a 50% chance at Crosby...sure the result is already in--but like Schroedinger's cat,untill the observer looks in the box it isn't reality...if (GOdD FORBID) the Wings win Crosby...."oh ,the humanity!" I'll need the vommmit bag immmediately...

EVEN More nightmarish--what if it comes down to the Wings and the Hawks" ..and DET gets him..then I'll need to commit hara-kari!?

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
SSJTOM said:
The results are being released 30-1 because if they started off with "The 1st overall pick goes to Team A" then the hype is over and half the audience flips the channel.

do it 30-1 and hype builds up as the number dwindles and fans say "WE'RE STILL IN IT!"

Suddenly reminded of a Miss America(Or American Idol, same diff) contest:

"Which one of our four contestants will become home to the next 'NHL Idol' ? The origional 6 team from the great white north? The
newer team with two promising young Stars already? The team loaded with stars that misses the playoffs every year? Or the team that may already be a Cup contender?" We tell you after this commercial break...now, Brett Hull will sing "America the Beautiful"

:eek:

Emerald City Bruin

I-90 W for 2500mi
Aug 3, 2004
Seattle,WA
Harper said:
Because we all knew the league wasn't that stupid...I mean honestly, they come up wit ha 600 page document that governs the league for the next four - six years, but they **** up the lottery? Come on people!

Sarcasm apparently not detected. ;)

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
It would make for some crazy suspense. I can just imagine, at the last minute they decide to do that, then the pick the Canucks ball first.

I'll shoot myself.

JeremyCrunch

Jan 5, 2005
19bruins19 said:
Seriously, how many threads are needed for this topic?
Many more will pop up until tomorrow after the lottery, then there will be the million threads about how it was rigged so the Rangers would win.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Here are the odds... I used a calculator :D

48 balls...so

1/48 = 2.08% chance
2/48= 4.17% chance
3/48= 6.25% chance

So while some teams obviously have a better chance than others,
there are no overwhelming favorites...

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
Another way they could manage this lottery is through eliminating each team from the lottery one ball by one. For instance, it'll take three balls to be pulled out to knock out the Jackets, Rangers or Penguins. Should one of their balls be pulled in reverse format, it wouldn't be a big deal since they'd still have two other balls left. Their odds increase dramatically as each team gets eliminated. In contrast, should a Detroit or Colorado ball be eliminated, they're gone immediately and their draft position is determined. This format would help me understand why the teams are being revealed in reverse order if this is being done LIVE. It also gives the Rangers a far greater chance of landing the lottery pick. Perhaps this is why the NHL didn't want to televise this in the first place. Just imagine how many angry GMs there would be if this form of lottery picking should take place. I would be equally as upset!!! Using this draft scenario on the draft simulator, take a wild guess who got first overall on my first try! THIS THING IS FIXED!

Last edited:

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Here is a question i just started thinking about:

When it comes down to the final 2 picks how do you announce it?

ex. Habs and leafs are left

do you go:

The winner of the sidney crosby sweepstakes is Montreal

or do you go:

The first loser of the sidney crosby sweepstakes is Toronto?

do you announce the winner or the loser?

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
xtra said:
Here is a question i just started thinking about:

When it comes down to the final 2 picks how do you announce it?

ex. Habs and leafs are left

do you go:

The winner of the sidney crosby sweepstakes is Montreal

or do you go:

The first loser of the sidney crosby sweepstakes is Toronto?

do you announce the winner or the loser?

i think just having crosby walk out in his team's jersey would be better than announcing it :)

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
bcrt2000 said:
i think just having crosby walk out in his team's jersey would be better than announcing it :)

How abou he goes into a dark room and puts on all 30 jerseys at random.

Out he comes and the jersey you see gets pick 30...off that comes and you see 29...

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Masao said:
I just thought of this...

If they pick the draft team backwards, then it means...

A team with 3 balls is more likely to be picked first. So this means that teams like the Pens or Rangers are more likely to get the 30th pick than the first! If they start by drawing for who gets the 30th pick and go at reverse until the 1st pick, then the best chance a team has of getting the first pick is to never get picked during the draw, which means that teams like Detroit or Colorado have a better chance of picking first than Pittsburgh or New York!

Holy ****! You're right! This is a disaster and an outrage!

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
How abou he goes into a dark room and puts on all 30 jerseys at random.

Out he comes and the jersey you see gets pick 30...off that comes and you see 29...
lmao, If they're tight form fitting jerseys he could maybe do that lol.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
PanthersRule said:
lmao, If they're tight form fitting jerseys he could maybe do that lol.

Start with youth XL(which fit adults on the small side of medium,like me ) and work up to adult/goalie XXL(Which fits really huge people)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad