Hey there sports fans!

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
Hey guys!
Been watching this board for years, and finally decided to make an account! Im a flames fan that lives in Edmonton *puke* but please dont hold that against me.

So fist off just wanted to introduce myself, and secondly... God damn. Who hurt all of you? This is the most negative fan boards on this site I think. Doesn't matter what this team does, doesn't make anyone here happy. Its quite sad to see actually.

I agree that its not what I was hoping, but some of the moves you can't really hate too much. Tre has his ups and downs, but don't think he did a terrible job today. Here are some of my thoughts..

Coleman - I personally have liked this guy since his time in Tampa, and really think that he will work well in Calgary. Considering it was rumored that he wanted 6M+ a season, I can't really hate the 4.9M price tag. Also helps out the right side.

Zadorov - Dude is an animal on the back end. Gives this team a whole heck of alot of bite, and makes us harder to play against, which we haven't really had on the back end since Reggie left. Should also keep some people honest out there, and take some of the pressure off Lucic to fight.

Lewis - Another dude who has played for Sutter, who is a heavy guy, and hopefully adds to that fourth line and eats some minutes.
And last but not least...

Eichel - Dude is a stud, but a couple of things scare me about him. #1 is his injury. How bad exactly is it? Even if we aquire him, I think it would be a miracle to see him play before Christmas, and do you honestly think given the aquisition cost that this team will be in contention when he rejoins it? And thats the other thing, is the aquisition cost... I would hate to give up Chucky for him, and I highly doubt that a package centered around Monahan would get it done, if it was the Monahan then its gonna be alot of the guys I personally am excited about to see come into a flames uniform in the next few years.

Anyways guys, nice to meet you all, and hopefully I can contribute to the conversation in the future!

Cheers,

-Bert-

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Just leave now brother, it isn't worth it being a Flames fan. This day is a perfect example why, garbage signing after garbage signing, and garbage trade after garbage trade all equating to a roster that is near identical to last years. 13th overall here we come.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
Just leave now brother, it isn't worth it being a Flames fan. This day is a perfect example why, garbage signing after garbage signing, and garbage trade after garbage trade all equating to a roster that is near identical to last years. 13th overall here we come.

i don’t know. I think Johnny resigns now, and I’m sure Tre has something in the bag to change the top 6 some more. Keep the faith man!!

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Welcome... and with respect to the negativity...
disappointment breeds pessimism, and we've endured a lot of disappointment. Too many promises and not enough results.

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
Rubi - I get it, but at the same time you have to realize that we aren’t the only ones looking to improve. It’s super easy for us to say “Tre should have done this or that” but the reality is we don’t know what those discussions looked like. Just because a player went for X doesn’t mean that’s what the ask would have been from the flames. There’s lots of times people didn’t know certain players were even available until after they got traded

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
I will not not post more positively in the future!

Velcome, to the forum of suck! We are over the moon to have you and your juicy posts Ah Ah ah!!

One, one long greeting message! Ah ah ah!

Two, two successful posts with out a banning! Ah ah ah!

Three, three posts and no flame war! Ah ah ah!

download (1).png

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
Have to be an optimist. I grew up in wainwright and was the only flames fan in town in the 90’s. When we were actually terrible. The only radio station we got was a country station, and 660 CFR (might have the station name wrong) so I got to fall asleep listening to the flames every night. Then I managed to live just off 17th ave in 2004.

If I could make it through high school and maintain being a fan there is no way I’m switching now!

Reactions: flames23

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Welcome! I think the pessimism is more due to not meeting expectations that purely raging on certain players though.

We seemingly should have made it to the 2nd and 3rd round of playoffs for a few years only to get destroyed early in the ploffs. Our best playoff run was with the worst roster we've had in 6 years. Hopefully we do better this season.

Reactions: flames23

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
Welcome aboard. Yeah most of us can get pretty frustrated, but it comes from a place of love ;)
If we didn't care we wouldn't post. I think a lot of us are long time fans that say how we're feeling and the last yr was especially disappointing so there's a lot of anger. We spend our free time following a less than average franchise and in my case have done so for 36 of my 39 years. My gramps got me into the boys real early.
I start every year w a fresh outlook and my mood adjusts based on performance accordingly. Here's to this yr being filled with overachieving success.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Hey. Hey. f*** you.

Kidding! Welcome abroad.
You're joining at the right time, while we always have negativity, I think for the most part the folks around right now will at least debate with you if your opinions don't match; but won't degrade you or follow you around like Joe Flaherty in Happy Gilmour anymore :laugh:

Happy to have some new folks!

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Have to be an optimist. I grew up in wainwright and was the only flames fan in town in the 90’s. When we were actually terrible. The only radio station we got was a country station, and 660 CFR (might have the station name wrong) so I got to fall asleep listening to the flames every night. Then I managed to live just off 17th ave in 2004.

If I could make it through high school and maintain being a fan there is no way I’m switching now!
Sounds like you would do well to start an optimism thread.

Welcome.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Half the board is convinced we are getting Eichel. If anything we are too optimistic.

And before you say "well everyone who thinks that will be negative when we don't get him", stop being so pessimistic!

Forever the optimist and the guy with crazy ideas, I'm hoping that if Eichel is too expensive, Tre is trying to pry someone like Pettersson out of Vancouver. :dunno:

Reactions: InfinityIggy

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
Before I go on a rant I do want to say welcome to the boards!! that being said"

Why are some of us pessimistic? Welllll after years of being mediocre and never having a top 3 pick we have a career year that looks verrrry promising, but we end up getting annihilated by colorado in the playoffs, we then bounce back to have dallas on the ropes a few seconds away from a 3-1 series lead, only to have a legendary collapse.... Year after we finally add a top goaltender, but go in with a very green coach, and cant even finish top 4/7 in a Canadian division. That to me is as big as a fail as you can get. The one year you are matched up with other canadian teams, they play without emotion and have absolutely no finishing touch losing most of our games to a bottom feeder like Ottawa. Not only do we miss, we win enough games to give us yet another mid round draft pick.

We trade Sam Bennett and he immediately pops off when a team finally plays him with solid players at his normal position (who would have thought). Now this wouldnt be as bad if it wasnt our HIGHEST PICK IN FRANCHISE HISTORY! Then the offseason starts and we actually trade a pick to seattle to bring in a guy like pitlick who makes more than derek ryan just signed for on our rivals team. Then we sign a 29 year old with a career high of 36 points who is ANOTHER left hand shoot for 6 years. I will admit I do like the Zadarov addition but this team screams another 12-20th round pick and a very early playoff exit. Do you not agree with that?

We seem destined to another season of mediocrity, with no signs of wanting to rebuild or restock our pretty bare shelves. It seems we will be good enough to miss out on the bedards of the draft, while not seriously competing with any of the top dogs. Treliving keeps doing the same thing an expecting different results, and we have shitty ownership that doesnt care at all about hockey. So my question to you is what is there to be optimistic about with the flames right now?

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
There’s always stuff to be optimistic about. I agree the Bennett trade hurt. I’m gonna buy a panthers Jersey. Not something I thought I would ever do honestly.

I’m excited for Wolfe to mature, think he’s gonna be a stud. My parents live in Kamloops and I think Zary gonna be awesome for us too.

As much as I agree with your frustrations, lots of teams go through the same thing year after year. Only one team can win, and as we have seen before all you need to do is make the dance and you have a shot. This team played a lot better at the end of the year when Sutters system was In place. Let’s see how our team looks in October before wasting energy being pissed off in July ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad