• No no no no

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's going to a team that hasn't had a 30 goal scorer since 2011-2012, aside from Clayton Keller who will likely play with Stepan they don't have any high quality playmakers to get him the puck. I'd be happy for Galchenyuk if he ends up a 30 goal scorer in the future, he's a good kid and was a professional here - however, until he improves his skating, improves his accuracy (and doesn't whiff on half of his one-timers) and learns how to stickhandle while actually skating I personally don't see him improving much from being a 20-25 goal guy.

7 more seasons (age 24-30) for Galchenyuk. I bet you he scores 3 or 4 30 goal seasons in his prime years with more opportunity on a different team and less pressure to win.

Reactions: King In Glory

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
7 more seasons (age 24-30) for Galchenyuk. I bet you he scores 3 or 4 30 goal seasons in his prime years with more opportunity on a different team and less pressure to win.

Lol I'm not waiting 7 years for a bet to finish. I'll delete my account on here if he scores 30 goals this year, you can save this post.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Being able to dangle is all well and good but if you can't do it at full speed then it's really not a skill that you actually have. Anyone can look great in practice going at half speed and not being hit or harassed along the way, but in a game you have to make your sick moves while moving really fast as opponents try to nail you or hack at you. Galchenyuk has never wow'd anyone with his blazing speed. His go-to move is to wait in the weeds and get off a quick one-timer. In short, he needs space in order to work. How well he does this season will depend on who the Yotes have who can feed him the puck and how much time and space they can open up for him. Ironically, I think he'd do really well playing alongside a guy like Max Domi.

Reactions: Dick Duff

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Sure. But what is your prediction today? How many 30 goal seasons from age 24-30? 1 or not even 1?

Like I have said before, he still has a lot of the same flaws in his game that need to be improved - if he can improve on them he has a better chance on being a 30 goal guy. In addition, I have no idea what Arizona will look like down the road - such as:

- Will Strome live up to his draft day potential and be a legit offensive centre?
- Will Hayton end up a top 6 centre?
- Does Galchenyuk end up back on the wing if Strome or Hayton end up being legit centres?
- Will they improve their wingers if he stays centre?

Just looking at Arizona's roster as of now, in my opinion for this year I don't see him getting 30 goals. In the future if he shows improvements in his own game and Arizona can improve their forwards around him I can see him putting up 30 goals.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If Max does start the season in Montreal, Domi will have two 30-goal scorers he can work with in Pacioretty and Gallagher. As well as two 20-goal scorers in Byron and Drouin. And Lehkonen is the player I feel will benefit most from Domi's playmaking ability should they get time together.

Lehkonen has already put up 18 goals, and despite being snake bitten last year, still scored only 6 less goals. He had 6 goals in his first 52 games, but ended the year with 6 goals in his final 14 games. That pace of 6G in 14 GP prorates to 28 goals in 66 games (the number of games he played last season) and to 35 goals in a full 82 game season.

Even without Galchenyuk, Domi has more goal scorers to work with in Montreal than he had in Arizona.

On defense, we can't exactly count on them to score goals other than Petry and Weber, who will miss half the season. So that's not much different than in Arizona, where they pretty much had only OEL.

What remains to be seen is for them to put it together on the ice. But Domi has better goal-scoring options in Montreal than he did in Arizona.

Are you suggesting that Domi will be centering Pacioretty and Gallagher? Assuming Pacioretty is back, wouldn't Drouin be getting that assignment?

A lot of it hinges on what they do with Pacioretty but who knows if he ends the season here, it was looking more and more that he'd be traded this summer.

When Bergevin drafted Galchenyuk, he said this:

“He’s a big centre … they don’t come by,” Bergevin told Duthie after drafting Galchenyuk six years ago. “When they do, you draft them because you can’t really trade for one because, for one, they’re not available. Down the middle for me has to be a strength and he fits the bill.”

So what does that make Domi? He looks like another Drouin in terms of experience at center:

When Coyotes first-year coach Rick Tocchet switched Domi to center during the team’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Dec. 16, it was the first time the 22-year-old had played the position since he was 16.

Last year, Galchenyuk was the team's second highest point getter and third goal scorer. He was also not given an opportunity to play center, even when injuries hit hard at the position. Even Byron was preferred over him. And he started the season on the 4th line, something we're not likely to see in Zona. He'll be playing center and be used in critical situations -- we'll find out what he makes of them. However, Galchenyuk has proven that he can score 30 goals. No one else on the Habs but Pacioretty (who has a foot out the door) and Gallagher has done it.

I reserve judgment on Lehkonen. Let him continue to develop. Domi is not a center as far as I can tell (maybe I'm wrong on this, we'll see) so I don't know who he is supposed to be feeding with his passing talents.

I think Bergevin got shortchanged in this trade, Galchenyuk has now been given a golden opportunity to thrive. This team needed centers and yet again let go a high end asset for a player it did not need.

Reactions: JLP

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He's going to a team that hasn't had a 30 goal scorer since 2011-2012, aside from Clayton Keller who will likely play with Stepan they don't have any high quality playmakers to get him the puck. I'd be happy for Galchenyuk if he ends up a 30 goal scorer in the future, he's a good kid and was a professional here - however, until he improves his skating, improves his accuracy (and doesn't whiff on half of his one-timers) and learns how to stickhandle while actually skating I personally don't see him improving much from being a 20-25 goal guy.
A consistent 20-25 would be better than a consistent 5-9 (EN excluded)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Are you suggesting that Domi will be centering Pacioretty and Gallagher? Assuming Pacioretty is back, wouldn't Drouin be getting that assignment?

A lot of it hinges on what they do with Pacioretty but who knows if he ends the season here, it was looking more and more that he'd be traded this summer.

No, I'm not suggesting he'll play at center. I'm looking at it as if he's a LW. He can be put on a line with a number of players that can put the puck in the back of the net. Some he will be on a regular line with. Others he may play with in certain situations like a PP, for example.

Even as a LW, Domi can play with Gallagher, who is a RW. He can also play with Lehkonen and Byron, who both shoot left, but can play on the right. He can be put on Drouin's wing. The only one that wouldn't be a regular is Max, as he's a LW also. But on PP or maybe other unique situations, they can find themselves on the ice at the same time.

Habs still have goal scoring options to put with Domi's play making talents. And as I said, Domi has more goal scorers to play with now in Montreal than he did in Arizona.

When Bergevin drafted Galchenyuk, he said this:

“He’s a big centre … they don’t come by,” Bergevin told Duthie after drafting Galchenyuk six years ago. “When they do, you draft them because you can’t really trade for one because, for one, they’re not available. Down the middle for me has to be a strength and he fits the bill.”

So what does that make Domi? He looks like another Drouin in terms of experience at center:

When Coyotes first-year coach Rick Tocchet switched Domi to center during the team’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Dec. 16, it was the first time the 22-year-old had played the position since he was 16.

Domi's not a center. And the day after the trade, MB met the media and said that while he has played center before, Domi is a winger. I know MB's word isn't his bond, but he said this and we can lay more crap on him if they put him at center.

Last year, Galchenyuk was the team's second highest point getter and third goal scorer. He was also not given an opportunity to play center, even when injuries hit hard at the position. Even Byron was preferred over him. And he started the season on the 4th line, something we're not likely to see in Zona. He'll be playing center and be used in critical situations -- we'll find out what he makes of them. However, Galchenyuk has proven that he can score 30 goals. No one else on the Habs but Pacioretty (who has a foot out the door) and Gallagher has done it.

Tocchet said in an interview with Chris Nilan after the trade that Galchenyuk will get his shot at center. That he doesn't want to hold skilled players back, but there are certain things he wants his centers to do and if he doesn't do them, he'll put him on the wing. As you say, we'll see what Galchenyuk makes of them.

Also, IIRC, Domi also struggled last year and was put lower in the line up with lesser skilled players and there was a stretch where he was used on most nights less than 15 minutes and others even less than 13 minutes a game. I don't remember in detail as I didn't follow Arizona. But I did remember a stretch where Domi was stuggling and used less and lower in the line up. So this wasn't only exclusive to Galchenyuk in Montreal.

In the end, their AVG TOI is only about a 30 seconds difference (Domi 16:42 and Alex 16:14) and Domi finished with 6 points less than Galchenyuk. Both played the full 82 games.

I reserve judgment on Lehkonen. Let him continue to develop. Domi is not a center as far as I can tell (maybe I'm wrong on this, we'll see) so I don't know who he is supposed to be feeding with his passing talents.

He doesn't need to be a center to set teammates up. Radulov, though he can put the puck in the back of the net, as well, is an example of a play making winger we've witnessed when he was a Hab.

I think Bergevin got shortchanged in this trade, Galchenyuk has now been given a golden opportunity to thrive. This team needed centers and yet again let go a high end asset for a player it did not need.

I think both players offer different skill sets, but are of equal value to a team.

I don't know if MB got shortchanged because I'm not sure Galchenyuk's value around the league was as high as we think. And I don't think it had so much to do with his hockey than it did with certain off-ice issues (not my business to get into that) but we know they existed.

There were reports after the 2017 Entry Draft that Montreal was close to dealing Galchenyuk to the Devils for Adam Henrique. Though he is a center, he was 27 years old. Not old by any stretch of the imagination. But I'm happier they stayed with youth and ended up with 23-year old Domi, who has so much more room to grow and be better at his position than Henrique ever has been or will be at his.

Reactions: HomeAndHome

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
There were reports after the 2017 Entry Draft that Montreal was close to dealing Galchenyuk to the Devils for Adam Henrique. Though he is a center, he was 27 years old. Not old by any stretch of the imagination. But I'm happier they stayed with youth and ended up with 23-year old Domi, who has so much more room to grow and be better at his position than Henrique ever has been or will be at his.

We got a lot better value with Domi than Henrique. I would've loved to have Henrique with us but he only had two years left on his contract at the time, Chucky had three. Now it's upside down, Chucky only has two years left (and was definitely going to walk at the end of it) while Domi is still RFA when his new contract is up. That fact holds a lot of value, even though Henrique is currently far better, and a better fit for us, than Domi.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We got a lot better value with Domi than Henrique. I would've loved to have Henrique with us but he only had two years left on his contract at the time, Chucky had three. Now it's upside down, Chucky only has two years left (and was definitely going to walk at the end of it) while Domi is still RFA when his new contract is up. That fact holds a lot of value, even though Henrique is currently far better, and a better fit for us, than Domi.

Agreed. But I'm still a bit ticked off with giving Galchenyuk the 3 year deal pinning us in the corner to begin with.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No, I'm not suggesting he'll play at center. I'm looking at it as if he's a LW. He can be put on a line with a number of players that can put the puck in the back of the net. Some he will be on a regular line with. Others he may play with in certain situations like a PP, for example.

Glad you agree Domi doesn't profile as a center. However, doesn't mean this GM won't shoehorn him into the role.

What scoring assets have been added to this goal-starved team since last year that provide a "number of players that can put the puck in the back of the net"? I must have missed them. I only saw one of the teams top goal getters be jettisoned for a low goal scoring asset.

Habs still have goal scoring options to put with Domi's play making talents. And as I said, Domi has more goal scorers to play with now in Montreal than he did in Arizona.

I like your optimism but we've seen the removal of a player who had the ability to snipe from a team that could ill afford to give him up. Habs finished 29th in goals scored last year and you're stating that they still have goal scoring options?

Tocchet said in an interview with Chris Nilan after the trade that Galchenyuk will get his shot at center. That he doesn't want to hold skilled players back, but there are certain things he wants his centers to do and if he doesn't do them, he'll put him on the wing. As you say, we'll see what Galchenyuk makes of them.

It's not just what Tocchet set but how Chayka described Galchenyuk upon his acquisition. He's going to be given a lot of latitude, something he could only dream of under Bergevin.

I think both players offer different skill sets, but are of equal value to a team.

I can't subscribe to that notion. Goal scorers are more scarce and in higher demand. You can't equate two players only because their point totals are similar. I'll take the player who has the proven ability to score 30 goals every time and not the player who ended up with 9 goals twice.

I don't know if MB got shortchanged because I'm not sure Galchenyuk's value around the league was as high as we think. And I don't think it had so much to do with his hockey than it did with certain off-ice issues (not my business to get into that) but we know they existed.

You may have a point on Galchenyuk's value at the time he was moved however it's a GM's job to maximize it. Bergevin has a proven track record of bumbling, mishandling his negotiations with opposing GMs and not exacting full value when trading away the more skilled player or the player who possesses the skill most in demand and/or who filled a position of need (Subban, Sergachev, Galchenyuk) and losing Radulov and Markov for nothing over what looked like misguided failed negotiations. So, the GM's shortcomings shouldn't be disregarded when assessing what kind of value he obtained on a player. And since Bergevin has never prevailed on trades involving high end assets, the Galchenyuk deal should be viewed with a lot of skepticism in terms of the value he got in return. It's on him moreso than on Galchenyuk.

To me that's a false equivalency. I don't know if these reports were accurate but just because the Habs didn't engage in a deal for Henrique doesn't make the Domi deal better. What would have made the Domi deal better is if the GM had been smart enough to land Domi for a lesser asset than Galchenyuk.

However, why even target Domi? He is a redundant asset. Habs are bursting at the seams with wingers. He can't score goals. Hopefully, he can be packaged for a better player at some point, under different management.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
However, why even target Domi? He is a redundant asset. Habs are bursting at the seams with wingers. He can't score goals. Hopefully, he can be packaged for a better player at some point, under different management.

I would have approached this entirely differently.

I see Domi as a guy who is not meeting expectations, with temper issues, and whom Arizona wanted to deal.

I would have taken a chance moving Byron for him rather than Galchenyuk, and if necessary adding a draft pick.

Then I would have come out and say that Domi is being brought in as an energy center with the opportunity to move into a middle six role.

Why center? Cause he has the wheels and vision. And you can afford to take that chance when you aren't giving up one of your two or three top goal scorers to get him. If it doesn't work, hopefully you move him to a team wanting a winger who can give us back the value we gave up to get him.

NOW, if he does not pan out, you will never get a Galchenyuk for him.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Agreed. But I'm still a bit ticked off with giving Galchenyuk the 3 year deal pinning us in the corner to begin with.

There is a pattern to this crap.

Six years at $5.5M for unproven but shiny new toy Drouin. Three years at $4.75M for loyal and more productive Galchenyuk.

$3.1M bridge contract for shiny new toy Domi. Two years @ $2.875M bridge contract for rising star PK Subban.

$1.3M times two years for shiny new toy AHLer Matthew Peca. 950k for DeLaRose who does whatever he's asked for 4 years, and no offer to loyal soldier Daniel Carr.

$3.9M times six years for shiny new toy Andrew Shaw. $3.75M for 6 years for loyal warrior Gallagher.

$4.625M times 5 years for shiny new toy Karl Alzner. Dump Emelin, Radulov and Markov who all loved playing here, because they were seen as too expensive.

Reportedly made offer of 6 years x $7M to shiny new sought-after toy Lucic. Refuses to make any offer to his captain who loves it here and has put his body on the line for the team multiple times.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
NOW, if he does not pan out, you will never get a Galchenyuk for him.

We got shortchanged. And Bergevin is the root cause, even if Galchenyuk has his misgivings.

Bergevin did everything to bring down the player's value. And once again, traded a premium asset without getting a center in return.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I'm maybe the only one who think that. But i think Domi have more upside than Galchenyuk. Domi is a very talentend player, with more grit, play like Gallagher, better playmaker than Galchenyuk, more speed than Galchenyuk, great hands... just work on his scoring instinct. (Put 18 goals in rookie season, not bad). He can be a 20-25 goal scorer IMO. Galchenyuk is just a better scorer. But in other categories, i take Domi. (Hands it's pretty equal, Domi is great talented player).

Reactions: HankyZetts

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
...just work on his scoring instinct.

You can't work on your scoring "instinct." You either have scoring ability or you don't. Galchenyuk is the better goal scorer, hands down. Galchenyuk's performance was suppressed with the way he was used. You're going to see the real Galchenyuk in Arizona. How about revisiting this at season's end?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
There is a pattern to this crap.

Six years at $5.5M for unproven but shiny new toy Drouin. Three years at $4.75M for loyal and more productive Galchenyuk.

$3.1M bridge contract for shiny new toy Domi. Two years @ $2.875M bridge contract for rising star PK Subban.

$1.3M times two years for shiny new toy AHLer Matthew Peca. 950k for DeLaRose who does whatever he's asked for 4 years, and no offer to loyal soldier Daniel Carr.

$3.9M times six years for shiny new toy Andrew Shaw. $3.75M for 6 years for loyal warrior Gallagher.

$4.625M times 5 years for shiny new toy Karl Alzner. Dump Emelin, Radulov and Markov who all loved playing here, because they were seen as too expensive.

Reportedly made offer of 6 years x $7M to shiny new sought-after toy Lucic. Refuses to make any offer to his captain who loves it here and has put his body on the line for the team multiple times.

He’s running guys out of town for players who fit his vision. The problem is his vision sucks and the results so far speak for themselves as the team has steadily declined. If he’s lucky, the goaltenders will play over their heads and certain players will overachieve to give off a perception that the team is competitive, but even if we do somehow get back into the playoff race, there will be no convincing me that the roster isn’t in terrible condition. If we do improve next season, it’ll just mean we’re stuck in that vicious cycle of being a bubble team. The same one we’ve been in since we won our last cup.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Worst trade ever! I hate this trade a lot! I mean the return should have been bigger! Bergevin is by far the worlds dumbest GM ever existed!

Reactions: Runner77

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I'm maybe the only one who think that. But i think Domi have more upside than Galchenyuk. Domi is a very talentend player, with more grit, play like Gallagher, better playmaker than Galchenyuk, more speed than Galchenyuk, great hands... just work on his scoring instinct. (Put 18 goals in rookie season, not bad). He can be a 20-25 goal scorer IMO. Galchenyuk is just a better scorer. But in other categories, i take Domi. (Hands it's pretty equal, Domi is great talented player).

Sorry, but no. Galchenyuk's ceiling completely dwarfs Domi's. Galchenyuk is far and away the more skilled player, and as of right now, is the flat out better player.

Dont get me wrong, Domi can still develop into a very good player, but Galchenyuk's potential is just so much higher.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Sorry, but no. Galchenyuk's ceiling completely dwarfs Domi's. Galchenyuk is far and away the more skilled player, and as of right now, is the flat out better player.

Dont get me wrong, Domi can still develop into a very good player, but Galchenyuk's potential is just so much higher.

not sure I would say so much higher, Domi was a hell of an OHL player. 195 pts in 118 games over his final 2 seasons with London. Granted he had some skilled forwards like Marner, Horvat and Dvorak over those 2 years as he racked up a ton of assists. I'm sure Galchenyuk would have killed it if he played in the OHL at 19 but Domi was drafted at 12th OA for a reason, he's just not a big goal scorer so if he's not with guys that can put the puck in the net he's not going to produce much.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'd be looking to flip Domi so that he can be reunited with Marner or Horvat. Trana may be willing to pay more on account of their past association with his father.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad