Tribute Hey everyone — Canucks fan here

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Hey y'all. Canucks fan here.

This will be a bittersweet series for me. My uncle, Fred Hucul, played for the Blues in their inaugural season, 1967. Three years ago, he was featured in the 50 year celebration of the Blues induction into the NHL.

He now lives in Tucson but I spoke with him last year literally minutes after the Blues won the Stanley Cup. He was thrilled beyond belief. Indeed, his words and emotion brought a tear to my eye. He never got to play for a Stanley Cup winner, but nevertheless, the 2019 Stanley Cup winners helped make him feel just a little bit like a Stanley Cup champion, and for that, I am grateful.

Uncle Fred's health is failing and his time is, I imagine, short. I'm telling you this so that you might use whatever influence you have with whoever or whatever calls the shots in this universe, and to ask that you put in a good word on his behalf so that he may have a little bit of time left with his family, and with you, his fellow St. Louis Blues fans.

I love the hell out of this guy. He was the father I never had, and he was a great father.

Thanks guys. And good luck in the playoffs.

2L5v0Nw.jpg

Far right:

bill-mccreary-larry-keenan-bobby-plagger-norm-beaudin-and-fred-hucul-picture-id614453242

Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I'll definitely keep him and your family in my thoughts! Thank you for sharing although I wish it was under better circumstances.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Damn, This is a mans man, check out that hair!! Looks like hes straight off the set of Mad Men

000305877.jpg

Yeah that's a hockey card, not sure which company put it out. Whoever wrote on it spelled his name wrong. I have a digital copy of that that's not marked up.

Uncle Fred was the finesse defenceman, the puck mover. His brother, my uncle Sandy was the tough one. His nickname was Sandy "Stone Face" Hucul and as the stories go, he used to destroy people. I wish I could remember, but I was too young. Don Cherry called him one of the toughest, meanest players he ever played against.

alex-hucul-1964-482.jpg

The two of them together. Defence partners for the Denver Invaders, early '60s.

6uVhfSe.jpg

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
It appears that Mr. Hucul also had a stint early in his career with the St. Louis Flyers. Considering the Flyers ceased existence after 1953 I would speculate that it is likely that Mr. Hucul is the only player ever to play for both the Blues and the Flyers. CM, I wish Mr. Hucul and your family the best.

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
Hey y'all. Canucks fan here.

This will be a bittersweet series for me. My uncle, Fred Hucul, played for the Blues in their inaugural season, 1967. Three years ago, he was featured in the 50 year celebration of the Blues induction into the NHL.

He now lives in Tucson but I spoke with him last year literally minutes after the Blues won the Stanley Cup. He was thrilled beyond belief. Indeed, his words and emotion brought a tear to my eye. He never got to play for a Stanley Cup winner, but nevertheless, the 2019 Stanley Cup winners helped make him feel just a little bit like a Stanley Cup champion, and for that, I am grateful.

Uncle Fred's health is failing and his time is, I imagine, short. I'm telling you this so that you might use whatever influence you have with whoever or whatever calls the shots in this universe, and to ask that you put in a good word on his behalf so that he may have a little bit of time left with his family, and with you, his fellow St. Louis Blues fans.

I love the hell out of this guy. He was the father I never had, and he was a great father.

Thanks guys. And good luck in the playoffs.

2L5v0Nw.jpg

Far right:

bill-mccreary-larry-keenan-bobby-plagger-norm-beaudin-and-fred-hucul-picture-id614453242
Still looks like a badass mo fo. Hope for the best for you and me Hucul

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
It appears that Mr. Hucul also had a stint early in his career with the St. Louis Flyers. Considering the Flyers ceased existence after 1953 I would speculate that it is likely that Mr. Hucul is the only player ever to play for both the Blues and the Flyers. CM, I wish Mr. Hucul and your family the best.
Yes, he played 9 games for The 1951-52 St. Louis AHL Flyers. That was their second-to-last season. He scored 2 goals and had 3 assists in those 9 games. Not bad for a defensive defenceman, back in those days.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Yep. He bounced back and forth between the Blackhawks and Flyers for a few years before settling in the minors for the majority of his career, where he and his brother were both perennial all stars in the old Western Hockey League.

Uncle Fred was out of the NHL for quite awhile but got a second chance with NHL expansion and the Blues in 1967. It's my understanding that he holds the record for most time between NHL goals — something like 13 years when he last scored for the Hawks and first scored for the Blues. By the end of the inaugural Blues season, his back was shot. I think he played a few more games in KC the following year, but retired shortly thereafter.

Uncle Sandy also had a long and memorable career, moving into coaching in the WHA where he won the Howard Baldwin Trophy as coach of the year for the Phoenix Roadrunners. And as I said, when Don Cherry talks about tough players, he never fails to mention Sandy Hucul. It's a given.

They both missed the gravy train that major sports eventually became, and they both undoubtedly missed more time in the majors, time which they would have had in the big leagues if their careers were post-expansion.

Uncle Fred supplemented his hockey income with income from his cattle ranch near Caroline in west central Alberta, the place where I spent the best days of my youth. Glenn Hall was a visitor there, as was Red Berenson and his wife, having an extended stay with us one summer. Others too. Both Glenn and Red are the nicest guys you will ever meet. I don't recall if Fred knew Red and Glenn before the Blues, but I think that's where they forged lifelong friendships, playing for the expansion St. Louis Blues, in 1967.

Thanks for all the great comments everyone.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Yep. He bounced back and forth between the Blackhawks and Flyers for a few years before settling in the minors for the majority of his career, where he and his brother were both perennial all stars in the old Western Hockey League.

Uncle Fred was out of the NHL for quite awhile but got a second chance with NHL expansion and the Blues in 1967. It's my understanding that he holds the record for most time between NHL goals — something like 13 years when he last scored for the Hawks and first scored for the Blues. By the end of the inaugural Blues season, his back was shot. I think he played a few more games in KC the following year, but retired shortly thereafter.

Uncle Sandy also had a long and memorable career, moving into coaching in the WHA where he won the Howard Baldwin Trophy as coach of the year for the Phoenix Roadrunners. And as I said, when Don Cherry talks about tough players, he never fails to mention Sandy Hucul. It's a given.

They both missed the gravy train that major sports eventually became, and they both undoubtedly missed more time in the majors, time which they would have had in the big leagues if their careers were post-expansion.

Uncle Fred supplemented his hockey income with income from his cattle ranch near Caroline in west central Alberta, the place where I spent the best days of my youth. Glenn Hall was a visitor there, as was Red Berenson and his wife, having an extended stay with us one summer. Others too. Both Glenn and Red are the nicest guys you will ever meet. I don't recall if Fred knew Red and Glenn before the Blues, but I think that's where they forged lifelong friendships, playing for the expansion St. Louis Blues, in 1967.

Thanks for all the great comments everyone.
Thanks for the stories, CM. You’re always welcome here.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

Red was quite a bit younger than Fred, Sandy, and Glenn, so he , most likely didn't know them before 1967. Fred and Glenn were both born in 1931, and might have played in a Junior tournament in Saskatchewan or Alberta, together, crossing paths and meeting, but not likely becoming good friends. Glenn played almost all his Juniors play with Detroit's Windsor Spitfires in The Ontario Hockey association, while Fred was playing in The Western Junior Hockey League, and then Fred played his first year with The Black Hawks while Glenn was playing his last Juniors year in The OHA. So, they must have become lifelong friends from playing that magical Blues' first year and run to The Stanley Cup Finals, together, along with Red. Of course, they also saw each other at Blues' reunions in St. Louis.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Red was quite a bit younger than Fred, Sandy, and Glenn, so he , most likely didn't know them before 1967. Fred and Glenn were both born in 1931, and might have played in a Junior tournament in Saskatchewan or Alberta, together, crossing paths and meeting, but not likely becoming good friends. Glenn played almost all his Juniors play with Detroit's Windsor Spitfires in The Ontario Hockey association, while Fred was playing in The Western Junior Hockey League, and then Fred played his first year with The Black Hawks while Glenn was playing his last Juniors year in The OHA. So, they must have become lifelong friends from playing that magical Blues' first year and run to The Stanley Cup Finals, together, along with Red. Of course, they also saw each other at Blues' reunions in St. Louis.
Some fantastic info there, Rob. Thanks. You're Inspector Columbo. :nod:

I met Glenn when he stopped in at the ranch a couple times. He lived, I think he still lives in Stony Plain, not far from Caroline. Red and his wife stayed for I dunno, maybe a week or so. Red's wife got thrown off one of our horses and Red just freaked. He was so worried about his wife who was in considerable pain from landing on her hip. She was okay though.

And I'm not sure I should even tell this story, but when Red and his wife came up, they arrived late at night, but we weren't expecting them until the following day.

I was in the ranch house when I heard something on the deck outside, just at the top of the stairs. I looked out the window and saw what I thought was a black bear. I went and grabbed the Winchester 30-30 off the rack, went to the door and just as I was turning the knob, I heard voices outside. It was Red, his wife, and their Newfoundland dog, the bear I thought I saw. :laugh:

Reactions: Blueston

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Some fantastic info there, Rob. Thanks. You're Inspector Columbo. :nod:

I met Glenn when he stopped in at the ranch a couple times. He lived, I think he still lives in Stony Plain, not far from Caroline. Red and his wife stayed for I dunno, maybe a week or so. Red's wife got thrown off one of our horses and Red just freaked. He was so worried about his wife who was in considerable pain from landing on her hip. She was okay though.

And I'm not sure I should even tell this story, but when Red and his wife came up, they arrived late at night, but we weren't expecting them until the following day.

I was in the ranch house when I heard something on the deck outside, just at the top of the stairs. I looked out the window and saw what I thought was a black bear. I went and grabbed the Winchester 30-30 off the rack, went to the door and just as I was turning the knob, I heard voices outside. It was Red, his wife, and their Newfoundland dog, the bear I thought I saw. :laugh:

Great story! Glenn was my favourite goalie during the '50s (tied with Jacques Plante of The Habs). I was ecstatic when he got traded to my favourite team, The Black Hawks. I liked them best, because, in Winnipeg, where I grew up, we didn't have an NHL team. We used to spend Winter Vacation in Chicago with my aunt and uncle, so I saw a lot of NHL games in Chicago Stadium. It was impossible for Winnipeggers to root for The Leafs or Habs, unless you had a friend or family member on their team or in their organisation. I met Glenn at a practice at Chicago Stadium. One of our close neighbours were Ab McDonald's folks. I grew up watching Ab play Midgets and Juniors. I was glad when Montréal traded him to The Hawks. I became a Blues fan because Glenn and Ab were on their team. We also knew Andy Bathgate, who grew up in our small town of West Kildonan.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Great story! Glenn was my favourite goalie during the '50s (tied with Jacques Plante of The Habs). I was ecstatic when he got traded to my favourite team, The Black Hawks. I liked them best, because, in Winnipeg, where I grew up, we didn't have an NHL team. We used to spend Winter Vacation in Chicago with my aunt and uncle, so I saw a lot of NHL games in Chicago Stadium. It was impossible for Winnipeggers to root for The Leafs or Habs, unless you had a friend or family member on their team or in their organisation. I met Glenn at a practice at Chicago Stadium. One of our close neighbors were Ab McDonald's folks. I grew up watching Ab play Midgets and Juniors. I was glad when Montréal traded him to The Hawks. I became a Blues fan because Glenn and Ab were on their team. We also knew Andy Bathgate, who grew up in our small town of West Kildonan.
I have a vague memory of as a kid, rooting against Andy Bathgate and the Canucks in their final year in the WHL. Of course I was never a Canucks fan until we hit the NHL, and even then it was difficult cheering for a team that I had always sheered against. The teams I cheered for were my uncles' teams when they came to Vancouver and played the Canucks.

I remember one game my dad and I were sitting behind a guy who I guess really hated Uncle Fred. He was cursing and yelling at him and calling him names. I was having none of that so I tapped him on the shoulder, he turned around to look at me and I said, "Number 2, he's my uncle." He looked annoyed, turned back around again but stopped the name-calling. I was about eight years-old but I was ready to fight him if he didn't knock it off. :laugh:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I have a vague memory of as a kid, rooting against Andy Bathgate and the Canucks in their final year in the WHL. Of course I was never a Canucks fan until we hit the NHL, and even then it was difficult cheering for a team that I had always sheered against. The teams I cheered for were my uncles' teams when they came to Vancouver and played the Canucks.

I remember one game my dad and I were sitting behind a guy who I guess really hated Uncle Fred. He was cursing and yelling at him and calling him names. I was having none of that so I tapped him on the shoulder, he turned around to look at me and I said, "Number 2, he's my uncle." He looked annoyed, turned back around again but stopped the name-calling. I was about eight years-old but I was ready to fight him if he didn't knock it off. :laugh:
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Good for you!

GiveYourHeadaShake

Apr 6, 2011
As a Canucks fan with no uncle who ever played on the Blues, it is still very clear to see that you Blues fans are pretty cool. I'm glad, reading these very sweet replies to the OP, that I was cheering for the Blues last year in the Final. If uncle Fred had played for the Bruins, the reply posts would mostly be jackass offensive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad