Hexy or Homer?

Who would you rather have as GM today?

• Total voters

Chicken Chaser

Zaphod Beeblebrox
Mar 21, 2009
St. James's Gate
I don’t know what that is. Nothing a bit of antibiotics won’t cure
Pipe cleaner for your ding-ding... apparently the Saudi's started doing this to the dude Khashoggi in their consulate, and he then asked him just to chop him up into pieces instead - according to Reddit of course.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Without a generational player that's flat-out not true. Coaching matters.
Hakstol sucks. You are incorrect to believe he is flawless.

You don't need a generational player if you have talent depth.
We'll have the kind of talent depth you rarely see in the cap era, not only the 18 starters, but a half dozen guys in the AHL each year who'll be stashed an extra season to polish their game and be ready to step in as NHL starters from the get go.
When you may have to trade a Laughton just to make room for Ratcliffe and Farabee, move Rubtsov or Vorobyev off center just to get them on the ice . . .

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You don't need a generational player if you have talent depth.
We'll have the kind of talent depth you rarely see in the cap era, not only the 18 starters, but a half dozen guys in the AHL each year who'll be stashed an extra season to polish their game and be ready to step in as NHL starters from the get go.
When you may have to trade a Laughton just to make room for Ratcliffe and Farabee, move Rubtsov or Vorobyev off center just to get them on the ice . . .

Please list the bad coaches who have won a Cup without generational talent. Go ahead.

You're also vastly overrating our prospects.

Reactions: 46zone

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Please list the bad coaches who have won a Cup without generational talent. Go ahead.

You're also vastly overrating our prospects.

You don't think this is not going to be a deep, top to bottom team in 2020-21?

Lindblom - Patrick - TK
Giroux - Couts - Voracek
JVR - Frost - Allison/Laczynsi
Farabee/Laughton - Rubtsov/Vorobyev - Twarynski/NAK/O'Brien

Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Myers
Morin - Friedman/Hagg
Hogberg, Kalynuk

Hart, Lyon/Stolarz

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
I highly doubt our team will be solely built through the draft, and I doubt all of those guys will be up on the big club by 2020.

Reactions: hatcher

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
At this point I don't even care how to build a team the right way or the wrong way. I just want a team I like to watch playing hockey. Holmgren's teams were exciting to watch. Hextall's teams are the opposite.
And so far Holmgren's teams were also much more successful. What is there to like about Hextall's work other than adding shiny new toys every year?

Reactions: bennysflyers16

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You don't think this is not going to be a deep, top to bottom team in 2020-21?

Lindblom - Patrick - TK
Giroux - Couts - Voracek
JVR - Frost - Allison/Laczynsi
Farabee/Laughton - Rubtsov/Vorobyev - Twarynski/NAK/O'Brien

Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Myers
Morin - Friedman/Hagg
Hogberg, Kalynuk

Hart, Lyon/Stolarz

The Penguins are a phenomenal example of what happens when a loaded roster has a bad coach. So are Boudreau teams, Bruce being terrible in a playoff series.

You ignored your task, so here it is again: Name the bad coaches who have won without a generational talent.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The Penguins are a phenomenal example of what happens when a loaded roster has a bad coach. So are Boudreau teams, Bruce being terrible in a playoff series.

You ignored your task, so here it is again: Name the bad coaches who have won without a generational talent.

D8afAYr.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

They were not a loaded roster.
When Sullivan went to the playoffs, they replaced eight of twelve forwards and three defensemen on the previous year's playoff team. So it wasn't just a new coach, it was an entirely new team, including a hot young goalie.

The year before they won the Cup, they had Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist, Kunitz, Perron, B Sutter at forward.
Their depth: Comeau, LaPierre, Winnik, Spaling, Downie, Bennett/Wilson

Letang on defense. Who got injured.
Leaving Martin, Cole, Lovejoy, Scuderi, Chorney and Dumoulin (who had spent the year in the AHL)

That summer, they got Letang back and added: Kessel, Matt Cullen, Nick Bonino, Olli Maatta, Eric Fehr
Then after Sullivan took over, before the TDL, Tevor Daley, Carl Hagelin, Conor Sheary, Brian Rust, Tom Kuhnhackl, Justin Schultz and Matt Murray.

So they replaced Sutter and Perron with Kessel and Bonino in their top six and Hagelin pushed Kunitz down.
Replaced the entire bottom six from the previous year.

On defense, only Lovejoy, Cole and Dumoulin returned from the previous year's playoff squad.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They were not a loaded roster.
When Sullivan went to the playoffs, they replaced eight of twelve forwards and three defensemen on the previous year's playoff team. So it wasn't just a new coach, it was an entirely new team, including a hot young goalie.

The year before they won the Cup, they had Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist, Kunitz, Perron, B Sutter at forward.
Their depth: Comeau, LaPierre, Winnik, Spaling, Downie, Bennett/Wilson

Letang on defense. Who got injured.
Leaving Martin, Cole, Lovejoy, Scuderi, Chorney and Dumoulin (who had spent the year in the AHL)

That summer, they got Letang back and added: Kessel, Matt Cullen, Nick Bonino, Olli Maatta, Eric Fehr
Then after Sullivan took over, before the TDL, Tevor Daley, Carl Hagelin, Conor Sheary, Brian Rust, Tom Kuhnhackl, Justin Schultz and Matt Murray.

So they replaced Sutter and Perron with Kessel and Bonino in their top six and Hagelin pushed Kunitz down.
Replaced the entire bottom six from the previous year.

On defense, only Lovejoy, Cole and Dumoulin returned from the previous year's playoff squad.

So the Penguins weren't so disappointing annually under Bylsma that they were a laughingstock?

The notion that any roster that has Malkin and Crosby isn't loaded is nutty.

I see you aren't even going to try a rebuttal for Boudreau's failures. That's wise.

Anyhow, you're dodging a point you're too scared to address because it sinks you imemdiately: What bad coach has won the Cup without a generational talent?

Reactions: kelmitchell

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
If Hextall continues to ignore our needs of (1) New Coach (2) Quality Goalie (3) upgrading the defense then he should be canned this off season. How about the organization goes outside and makes a big push for Yzerman!! Who knows maybe going to Detroit isn't a slam dunk. Why not try... god knows we have the cash

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
If Hextall continues to ignore our needs of (1) New Coach (2) Quality Goalie (3) upgrading the defense then he should be canned this off season. How about the organization goes outside and makes a big push for Yzerman!! Who knows maybe going to Detroit isn't a slam dunk. Why not try... god knows we have the cash

The Flyers would never hire Stevie Y simply because he has no Flyer connections.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Hextall needs to adapt.
Before the season most of us were hoping that after the arrival of Carter Hart (maybe as a soon as mid season) we'd be good to go and compete.
Now it looks like the goalie situation may not be resolved internally anytime soon. Could take up to 5 years until one of our kids play up to NHL starter level. Do you want to sit and watch that dumpster fire for another 3-5 years? I don't. :thumbd:

Reactions: Tripod

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Don't think Hextall did much in terms of the shiny toy department. I'd guess he got 2.4 NHLers from the 2018 draft, which isn't amazing considering he had 2 No. 1 picks.

This was supposed to be the year it was all about winning. Hextall and the entire coaching staff have to go.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Hakstol was hired

Coaching Hexy's son happened, but Hexy also knows Steve Yzerman so they're on the same level of "connection" if you ask me.
The connection I was speaking of was being a former Flyer. And why would Hextall hire Yzerman? The poster who bought up Yzerman was suggesting Yzerman be Hextall’s replacement.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Don't think Hextall did much in terms of the shiny toy department. I'd guess he got 2.4 NHLers from the 2018 draft, which isn't amazing considering he had 2 No. 1 picks.

This was supposed to be the year it was all about winning. Hextall and the entire coaching staff have to go.
Isn't it a little too early to be judging the 18 draft? Nobody knows yet who will or won’t pan out from this draft.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's freakin' October.
People, get a f---n life!

How many draft misses does Hextall have? Like say Zacha?
How many of those hot shot prospects aren't progressing (maybe not as fast as some ants in the pants posters would like)?
How many bad trades? Bad free agent signings?

Could Hextall be more aggressive? Sure.
But it's October - if he makes a move, you'll find out after it happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad