Hextall's Moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
So roster spots is your biggest reason for not adding four players?

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
Grabner - Patrick - Voracek
Lindholm - Bozak - Simmonds
Raffl - Laughton - Weise
Weal, Lehtera

Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Gudas
Macdonald - Pateryn
Hagg

Bernier / Hutton
Elliott

If it's the free agency aspect that are young hung up on they can trade for a player and sign three guys, or something like that. As I said above, the list of moves I laid out was just an example of the type of moves (at the very least) that I think Hextall should make based on the 15-20 million in cap space they have and holes that they should be looking to fill. All of those guys could be had on short term deals without breaking the bank which would have no effect what so ever on blocking prospects which Hextall has shown time and time again he prefers to be cautious with and bring along slowly.
im on board, this is better than last year's team.

Reactions: kelmitchell

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
We can do better than adding Grabner. Bozak I'm "meh" on. Hopefully Hextall can work the phones and add an impact player (ROR, Trouba, etc.).
same here, this is probably the last option if hextall doesnt want to pull the trigger.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So I guess we'll just continue ignoring the Schenn trade because it kills the meme.

No risks at all. OK, got it.

Trading futures for a roster player is generally a much bigger risk. Its an aspect of GMing he has only been tested in one time in 4 years and it was out of total necessity (Mrazek) after his hand-picked idiot coach ran his goalie into the ground.

Reactions: Ruck Over

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Trading futures for a roster player is generally a much bigger risk. Its an aspect of GMing he has only been tested in one time in 4 years and it was out of total necessity (Mrazek) after his hand-picked idiot coach ran his goalie into the ground.
Exactly. The Schenn trade was only a minor risk. Hextall can't be fully judged on that trade for several years until Frost and the 14th pick develop over time. It also lowered expectations a bit in the short term and slowed down the rebuild even more. When you make a move giving up high end assets for a player who is supposed to be making a big and immediate impact the pressure is on for results right away. Either way, that is only ONE example of Hextall taking any risk with a move in four years as GM.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I couldn’t disagree more...

Trading a known quantity for a complete unknown is much more risky than giving up a lottery ticket for a guaranteed payout.

You’ve brought up those success percentages for draft picks before... what are the chances a 27th overall pick becomes a scorer at the level of Schenn? Probably not great. Same thing for the other pick, which was expected to be in the same area. It was definitely more risky for us than for STL.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYCFlyer

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I couldn’t disagree more...

Trading a known quantity for a complete unknown is much more risky than giving up a lottery ticket for a guaranteed payout.

You’ve brought up those success percentages for draft picks before... what are the chances a 27th overall pick becomes a scorer at the level of Schenn? Probably not great.

The flip side of that is giving up a pick, which is an unknown commodity, that becomes a much better player than the one you acquired, which is a known commodity. You also risk the roster player not being a good fit.

And this doesnt just go for pick trades, but prospect trades as well.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
ever since the sixers start tanking, this fanbase just wants every other franchise phillies, flyers, eagles to just quit competing because prospects are more important than competing and no im not saying they cant play young players, im saying just give up some of the assets to get a better players and win.

thankfully the eagles didnt fall into the prospect/browns love and they went all in and won a sb because they know prospects are not going to change the team's fortune,

most of the prospects are depth players, that's all it is, if you are counting on them to become something they are not, then it's going to put the franchise in a very bad position or never get over the hump. if that's what you want, then keep complaining every year of why the flyers cant win because you just dont want to be open minded and be realistic that you need impact players to get over the hump. that's every team in every sport. no teams win with prospects, that's why they are in the dumps.
Except this ignores people like me that don't give a shit what the other Philly franchises do.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We saw what Laughton had, he can skate, shoot and forecheck.
However, how many goals did he set up teammates for with beautiful passes?
I saw him lost in space on the backcheck, especially in his own D-zone, Filppula broke up a lot more plays than Laughton.
Patrick as a 19 year old rookie showed much better instincts than Laughton.

Which is why he belongs at LW with a center who can set him up.
And when he was used at LW in the playoffs, he played his best hockey of the season.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
We saw what Laughton had, he can skate, shoot and forecheck.
However, how many goals did he set up teammates for with beautiful passes?
I saw him lost in space on the backcheck, especially in his own D-zone, Filppula broke up a lot more plays than Laughton.
Patrick as a 19 year old rookie showed much better instincts than Laughton.

Which is why he belongs at LW with a center who can set him up.
And when he was used at LW in the playoffs, he played his best hockey of the season.

Agreed. He’s a much better player on the left wing when he has less responsibility. I’d like to see him grab that 3LW role going forward. With a good centre I think he could do well. Hopefully when Frost arrives he can be that guy.

Doodootheclown

Oct 24, 2011
DelCo
I really hope Laughton gets a bigger role this year. His speed and shot are wasted on the 4th line.

giphy.gif

p>

Reactions: Striiker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad