Hextall's Moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
They've just become so conservative in every aspect of the game, from the front office to the on-ice product. It's like Hextall is trying to course-correct for years of over-aggressiveness by being as risk-averse as possible. The most exciting thing the Flyers have done in the entire Hextall era is win a lottery. They talk about how it's a youth movement, but then they constantly roadblock their young players.

My guess is more of the same this off-season. Sign an impact player? Can't do that. Gotta have cap space available in 2023 to re-sign Wade Allison after his RFA expires!

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They've just become so conservative in every aspect of the game, from the front office to the on-ice product. It's like Hextall is trying to course-correct for years of over-aggressiveness by being as risk-averse as possible. The most exciting thing the Flyers have done in the entire Hextall era is win a lottery. They talk about how it's a youth movement, but then they constantly roadblock their young players.

My guess is more of the same this off-season. Sign an impact player? Can't do that. Gotta have cap space available in 2023 to re-sign Wade Allison after his RFA expires!
Someone afraid of risk wouldn’t have traded Schenn for a cap dump and draft picks.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
They only needed two hall-of-fame Centers and a #1 overall pick goalie.

:rolleyes:

well, true. but I have said more than once, how many fanbases really like their coach?
number is likely less than 5.
coaches were put on this earth to be fired and hated by their fanbase. in pretty much every sport.
I have said countless times I dont like this coaching staff. just to clarify.

Reactions: Striiker

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation

That is exactly how I feel. It really feels like Hextall has gone so far out of his way to not make the same mistakes that Holmgren did later in his tenure as GM that he won't take any risks at all. There needs to be a middle ground between the two that Hextall needs to find or this organization will continue to go nowhere.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think a "middle ground" would be a half-measure. It would sacrifice some of the team's projected strength in a year or two to make the team a little better immediately.

The problem is, IMO, making them a little better immediately still doesn't turn them into a team that can legitimately compete with Pittsburgh, Washington, Toronto, Tampa Bay, and Boston. And you're going to have to be dealing with Buffalo in a couple years, too, and possibly Carolina. The East is loaded. It'll take more than a "pretty good" team to win.

Continuing to build a young core set to begin peaking together in a season or two, and remain at that peak for a long time, will ultimately create a stronger team that *can* legitimately contend for the Cup for a much larger window. It just takes delayed gratification, which is frustrating, especially for fans.

At the very least, I don't think Hextall's strategy should be labeled as per se wrong. It's a similar strategy that got Winnipeg to the WCF this year. It's just a strategy that requires time to do it right, and, frankly, I think a lot of fans get bored. They like action & wheeling and dealing, which is why the trade deadline is so popular, and why Holmgren gets such a pass from many despite making several of the biggest management blunders in Flyers history in the span of 8 years.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I think a "middle ground" would be a half-measure.
No, a middle ground would be the necessary balance. You can't build an entire team with prospects and you can't build an entire team with free agents and splash moves. It takes the right amount of each to build a contender. Hextall has been the GM of this team for four years. He fixed the cap issues to the point where they have a lot of cap space, and he built up a very good prospect pool. It's time to start adding to the NHL roster and move to the next phase of the rebuild. If Hextall continues on as he has for another year or two more prime years from Giroux and Voracek will be wasted while Couturier will be only be a couple of years away from free agency and looking for a huge raise likely.

Peacekeeper

Sep 27, 2017
Another week goes by and we'll learn a lot about Hextals approach

If I was GM.. I'd be trying to get a Skinner for Simmonds swap done. Younger, goal scorer, great skater ECT.. Canes looking to get tougher

At the draft I do really like the idea of trading up for Wahlstrom.. has the best shot in the draft and we are littered with playmakers (Giroux, Voracek, Patrick, future Frost, Ghost) he would be fed the puck plenty

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
I think a "middle ground" would be a half-measure. It would sacrifice some of the team's projected strength in a year or two to make the team a little better immediately.

The problem is, IMO, making them a little better immediately still doesn't turn them into a team that can legitimately compete with Pittsburgh, Washington, Toronto, Tampa Bay, and Boston. And you're going to have to be dealing with Buffalo in a couple years, too, and possibly Carolina. The East is loaded. It'll take more than a "pretty good" team to win.

Continuing to build a young core set to begin peaking together in a season or two, and remain at that peak for a long time, will ultimately create a stronger team that *can* legitimately contend for the Cup for a much larger window. It just takes delayed gratification, which is frustrating, especially for fans.

At the very least, I don't think Hextall's strategy should be labeled as per se wrong. It's a similar strategy that got Winnipeg to the WCF this year. It's just a strategy that requires time to do it right, and, frankly, I think a lot of fans get bored. They like action & wheeling and dealing, which is why the trade deadline is so popular, and why Holmgren gets such a pass from many despite making several of the biggest management blunders in Flyers history in the span of 8 years.

ever since the sixers start tanking, this fanbase just wants every other franchise phillies, flyers, eagles to just quit competing because prospects are more important than competing and no im not saying they cant play young players, im saying just give up some of the assets to get a better players and win.

thankfully the eagles didnt fall into the prospect/browns love and they went all in and won a sb because they know prospects are not going to change the team's fortune,

most of the prospects are depth players, that's all it is, if you are counting on them to become something they are not, then it's going to put the franchise in a very bad position or never get over the hump. if that's what you want, then keep complaining every year of why the flyers cant win because you just dont want to be open minded and be realistic that you need impact players to get over the hump. that's every team in every sport. no teams win with prospects, that's why they are in the dumps.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We don't need to make trades right now.

If there's a smart move available, then you consider it, but to say that "now is the time to do it" is extremely debatable.

Nobody is saying to only build with prospects, but it would be smart to give them a chance to show what they can do BEFORE making big trades because then you know what holes you actually have to fill. If you make a big trade now, you might end up filling a hole that could have been filled for free (and possibly better) by a prospect already in the system. Then you both wasted assets and blocked a player from getting a real chance. It could be better to wait and see what guys like Myers, Hart, Frost, etc can do before deciding that a trade is necessary, because they might be the best possible options for us.

So again, trades aren't automatically a good or bad thing. Nobody should say a definite "yes" or "no" to the possibility of trades because saying we have to make a trade is just as dumb as saying we can't make any trades. It all depends on what kind of trade we're looking at. Short term or low risk moves could give us a chance to both be better right now AND leave the possibility open for the young guys to take the spots.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
ever since the sixers start tanking, this fanbase just wants every other franchise phillies, flyers, eagles to just quit competing because prospects are more important than competing and no im not saying they cant play young players, im saying just give up some of the assets to get a better players and win.

thankfully the eagles didnt fall into the prospect/browns love and they went all in and won a sb because they know prospects are not going to change the team's fortune,

most of the prospects are depth players, that's all it is, if you are counting on them to become something they are not, then it's going to put the franchise in a very bad position or never get over the hump. if that's what you want, then keep complaining every year of why the flyers cant win because you just dont want to be open minded and be realistic that you need impact players to get over the hump. that's every team in every sport. no teams win with prospects, that's why they are in the dumps.
Nobody said this. Stop lying out of your ass and embarrassing yourself.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I would be more aggressive than this personally, but I am not even asking/expecting Hextall to do a ton this summer. Something like this would satisfy my desire for Hextall to start to find balance and start making the NHL roster better without hurting the future.

Sign:
Tyler Bozak / Riley Nash
Michael Grabner / Blake Comeau
Calvin de Haan / Greg Pateryn
Jonathan Bernier / Carter Hutton and dump Neuvirth

I would also like to see Hextall make a decision on Simmonds. Either trade him or re-sign him. I don't see the point or upside in bringing back Simmonds without a new deal and potentially losing him for nothing next summer.

Again, I would be more aggressive than this and the above list of moves is just an example of the type of stuff that I think would be a fair balance of huge moves and making a few solid moves to upgrade the current team.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Unless we get rid of Mac or Hagg, we really shouldn't be adding a defensemen. Myers deserves a spot and Morin needs one once he gets back.

Blocking prospects hurts us more than a hypothetical FA helps.

Reactions: pmwlker

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
Another week goes by and we'll learn a lot about Hextals approach

If I was GM.. I'd be trying to get a Skinner for Simmonds swap done. Younger, goal scorer, great skater ECT.. Canes looking to get tougher

At the draft I do really like the idea of trading up for Wahlstrom.. has the best shot in the draft and we are littered with playmakers (Giroux, Voracek, Patrick, future Frost, Ghost) he would be fed the puck plenty

I’d be trying to move Simmonds for a youngish right handed D. Obviously we aren’t going to get a Sergachev level guy, but something like that. A win now team that has a young close to NHK ready RHD prospect.

Conor Timmins comes to mind

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Signing 4 NHL UFAs isn’t realistic.
Why? They have 15-20 million in cap space. Each guy I listed wouldn't cost a ton and can be probably be had on 1-3 year deals. The goalie move is a simple swap out of Neuvirth essentially in terms of salary and roster spot. Lastly, they have several spots that could use an upgrade.

In 2007 Holmgren added three HUGE free agents (Briere, Timonen, Hartnell), traded for Joffrey Lupul and Jason Smith, and re-signed Marty Biron who he traded for at the deadline. The above type of moves I outlined are nowhere near the type of huge turnover in terms the quantity and quality of pieces as that. So again, it's about finding a balance between Holmgren's wheeling and dealing ways and Hextall's risk averse patient to a fault strategy.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I would be more aggressive than this personally, but I am not even asking/expecting Hextall to do a ton this summer. Something like this would satisfy my desire for Hextall to start to find balance and start making the NHL roster better without hurting the future.

Sign:
Tyler Bozak / Riley Nash
Michael Grabner / Blake Comeau
Calvin de Haan / Greg Pateryn
Jonathan Bernier / Carter Hutton and dump Neuvirth

Those are the type of moves I'd like to avoid. I hate signing mid-level veterans in unrestricted free agency. The majority of the time you end up overpaying in cap hit and term.

Grabner sucked with the Devils, to the point he was a healthy scratch in multiple playoff games after 5 points in 21 regular season games. He'll be 31. Reeks of overpayment.
Bozak is 32, and seems likely to get around a 4 year deal from someone. He's a nice center, but if he loses a half step you are left with another Filppula.
de Haan is injury prone, has chronic shoulder issues, and is an average LH shot defenseman. Signing him for 4 years, which he'll probably get, seems eerily close to adding another Andrew MacDonald just as we're finally nearing getting rid of the original.

Bernier should be cheap. I'm completely on board with signing him and dumping Neuvirth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad