Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Challenge accepted.

No, the fans here suck.
We knew when Hextall took over it would be a 5 year process

You're the only one who's used that term

he had to dump a lot of overpaid veterans on long-term deals

And added a couple more

People want him to rush a group of solid but second tier prospects.

Nobody wants him to rush any prospect. We only want him to promotes ones who are ready and improve the NHL roster.

Hextall doesn't want to do what the fans want because he's sticking to his plan which he started to implement four years ago.

He doesn't want to win?

So now I have to read a lot of stupidity about "favoring veterans"

Right, none of that is happening. ;)
Guys like Manning, Weise, and Lehtera are in the lineup on merit.

When it's obvious if you've watched Hextall is that he's very consistent:
1) he doesn't like to force prospects into the lineup until he thinks they're ready

Hagg disproves that

2) he'll play prospects who are ready, that is, who'll will step into the lineup and start and play a substantial role

Lindblom and Morin disprove that

Lindblom did not look NHL ready in exhibition games or his first month in Allentown,

Yes he did and his first month in Allentown wasn't bad at all. Merely poor puck luck. Even guys like Tony Androckitis and Bill Meltzer said so.

It's not whether he got a point in an exhibition game, you could see that he was a half step slow, processing the game.

He wasn't a half step slow, physically or mentally.

MV came out of college undrafted, he didn't stand out in camp either. He wasn't the top college FA.
NAK had a so-so season last year,

Nobody is clamoring for either of them.

Morin still had issues they wanted him to work on.

Players don't have to be finished products to be in the NHL. Hagg also has issues he needs to work on... and where's he playing again? Oh yeah... on the top pair...

So Hextall is erring on the conservative side.

cowardly*

So you have to watch one of Lehtera/Weise/Read when Patrick returns. Boo hoo.

And maybe after, if Hakstols past is to be considered

Some of these AHL players are stepping up, but beware of SSS effects.

Says the guy who earlier in this same post judged Lindblom to be "a step slow" after a grand total of two games...

Hows that for a SSS?

My expectation is we'll see a steady flow of these players starting in December or January, depending on their progress and where to fit them.

Not happening. Hextall doesn't do merit promotions. Only way they're getting in is if there's multiple injuries.

For example, once Lindblom comes up, who does Martel replace and in what role? Same with NAK and MV.

When Lindblom comes up we won't need them or care about them.

If Morin comes up, how do you juggle all the LH defensemen?

Provorov, Sanheim, Morin on the left.
Ghost to the right.

ezpz

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Morin-MacD/Hagg

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Challenge accepted.

You're the only one who's used that term

And added a couple more

Nobody wants him to rush any prospect. We only want him to promotes ones who are ready and improve the NHL roster.

He doesn't want to win?

Right, none of that is happening. ;)
Guys like Manning, Weise, and Lehtera are in the lineup on merit.

Hagg disproves that

Lindblom and Morin disprove that

Yes he did and his first month in Allentown wasn't bad at all. Merely poor puck luck. Even guys like Tony Androckitis and Bill Meltzer said so.

He wasn't a half step slow, physically or mentally.

Nobody is clamoring for either of them.

Players don't have to be finished products to be in the NHL. Hagg also has issues he needs to work on... and where's he playing again? Oh yeah... on the top pair...

cowardly*

And maybe after, if Hakstols past is to be considered

Says the guy who earlier in this same post judged Lindblom to be "a step slow" after a grand total of two games...

Hows that for a SSS?

Not happening. Hextall doesn't do merit promotions. Only way they're getting in is if there's multiple injuries.

When Lindblom comes up we won't need them or care about them.

Provorov, Sanheim, Morin on the left.
Ghost to the right.

ezpz

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Morin-MacD/Hagg

But is that lineup safe and reliable?

Reactions: kelmitchell

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Opinions aren't facts. And none of you have the pedigree to take your opinions seriously.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The worst part is that Hak has created this atmosphere where rookies feel like they have to walk on egg shells and be perfect rather than just teaching them their system then allowing then to play their game without fear of being reprimanded.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Opinions aren't facts. And none of you have the pedigree to take your opinions seriously.

We all have the pedigree to take our own opinions seriously, because they are our own opinions. You don't have to take anyone else's opinion seriously of course, nor do I, nor does anyone, but the opinions springing from our own rattled skulls come stamped with all the pedigree we need.

Last edited:
Reactions: kelmitchell

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hatkstol I don't know.
Hextall yeah, his track record so far buys a lot of "benefit of the doubt."
Plus a lot of stuff you say Striiker is just wrong, I commented on Lindbloom looking out of sync in exhibition games.

I just don't care about Lehtera et al, and that includes Leier and Raffl, who I think will be long gone in a year or two.
Leier to me is this year's Cousins, a marginal prospect who'll get dealt for a late round pick once his replacement is ready.

But I don't mind waiting a month or two for Lindblom, because I think when he comes up he'll be a top 9 LW for this team for a decade.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hatkstol I don't know.
Hextall yeah, his track record so far buys a lot of "benefit of the doubt."
Plus a lot of stuff you say Striiker is just wrong, I commented on Lindbloom looking out of sync in exhibition games.

I just don't care about Lehtera et al, and that includes Leier and Raffl, who I think will be long gone in a year or two.
Leier to me is this year's Cousins, a marginal prospect who'll get dealt for a late round pick once his replacement is ready.

But I don't mind waiting a month or two for Lindblom, because I think when he comes up he'll be a top 9 LW for this team for a decade.
Even if you commented on Lindblom looking "out of sync" in preseason, that doesn't make it true.

Literally hours ago you said Weal and Giroux were soft... and that isn't even close to the most absurd thing you've said over the last few months. I mean come on... you can't make comments like that and then expect your observations to be taken as fact.

And if you don't know about Hakstols pedigree why are you so adamant about defending literally every move he makes? You've never once admitted that he's done anything questionable. Not once. Even Hextalls track record hasn't bought him this level of blind faith. Nobodies track record has.

I just don't understand why you trust them so unconditionally. I know I'm not always right and what I say isn't fact, but it's so hard to seriously consider your perspective when it appears to be 100% in line with theirs, no matter what, no exceptions. As if you're not thinking for yourself or trusting your own eyes or knowledge.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't defend, I try to understand instead of shooting from the hip like most fans, who will alway find something to nitpick with any coach (at least the Cap'n is honest about his tendency to imitate a rabid mongoose). And I don't expect my opinions to be taken as "facts," they're the opinions of an amateur, like everyone on this board.

I don't know if Hextall is right or wrong about the readiness of different players, I just figure you wait and see what happens.
I haven't seen anyone play so well that it's obvious they're ready, and we've seen mediocre prospects, Cousins, Luby, Leier who aren't needle movers.
So I just don't assume that someone is an upgrade right now, Weal in 2015-16 was meh, Weal in 2016-17 was much better.
Scoring 40 AHL goals doesn't make you a NHL player, as some have pointed out.

Most of the crying is from people who are focused game to game.
I'm focused on "The Process," I see next year as the year when Hextall gets to put his players on the ice. Up to now he's had to patch, bide his time, and wait for his kids to grow up. Next year most of the veterans everyone's whining about will be gone. Some of these players will be in the lineup by springtime. 2019-20 is when he starts upgrading instead of patching.

G - C - V
Lindblom - Patrick - Konecny
Weal/Martel - Vorobyev - Simmonds/MV
Leier/Bardreau - Laughton - NAK
Raffl, Weise

Provorov - MacDonald/Hagg/Manning/Myers
Ghost - Gudas
Morin - Sanheim

Last edited:

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
An appeal to authority, huh?

So we should trust Hakstol and Hextall simply because they're the coach and GM?

See the thing is Striiker you have to be an ex player like Hextall to make wise NHL decisions. Even though that guy Jon Cooper totally disproves all of this. Wayne Gretzky was a terrible coach also. Evaluating talent and how you deploy it isn't based on being a great hockey player. If that was true Gretzky would have been a top tier coach.

Reactions: Striiker

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

Absolutely nothing suggests that Lindblom will be up in a month or two. Previous history on Hextall suggests that he will let this season play out completely even if it ends up being a failure to give Weise and co. their undue chances time and time again. He over values the nonsense of them being veterans.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
See the thing is Striiker you have to be an ex player like Hextall to make wise NHL decisions. Even though that guy Jon Cooper totally disproves all of this. Wayne Gretzky was a terrible coach also. Evaluating talent and how you deploy it isn't based on being a great hockey player. If that was true Gretzky would have been a top tier coach.
i seem to remember a comment from Gretzky about why he wasnt a goodcoach on the level he was as a player.

he couldnt relate to his players cuz he saw the game on a different level.. he saw were the puck was going to be instead of were it is.

his players couldnt do that and as such there was a disconnect..

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Absolutely nothing suggests that Lindblom will be up in a month or two. Previous history on Hextall suggests that he will let this season play out completely even if it ends up being a failure to give Weise and co. their undue chances time and time again. He over values the nonsense of them being veterans.

What history? He brought up Weal and Leier last year, he gave Weal a cameo the year before.
Who was kept in the AHL last year who was obviously ready (not a fan favorite, but so dominant that he didn't belong in the AHL)?
Laughton was solid in the AHL, Sanheim played well, but neither was dominant.
It's one thing to say there are players on the NHL roster you don't like, quite another to say there's a great player being blocked by an unloved veteran.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
What history? He brought up Weal and Leier last year, he gave Weal a cameo the year before.
Who was kept in the AHL last year who was obviously ready (not a fan favorite, but so dominant that he didn't belong in the AHL)?
Laughton was solid in the AHL, Sanheim played well, but neither was dominant.
It's one thing to say there are players on the NHL roster you don't like, quite another to say there's a great player being blocked by an unloved veteran.

It worked well in the flyers favor that Hextall is timid and over values veterans. It was possible that Weal might not even be here due to "politics" from last season.
Jordan Weal talks nearly going to Vegas, 'politics' that kept him in AHL

Hextall clearly does not promote players. I'm not sure how you can even remotely think this is possible. Promoting players after the season is lost isn't worth a damn. Even Ghost wasn't suppose to stay up when injuries happened two years ago which shows that Hextall isn't good at knowing when prospects are ready.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You got four HHoF players turned GM’s in Sakic, Francis, Blake, & Yzerman in the NHL currently. Housley is the only head coach. There’s other guys in those positions that had noteworthy NHL careers as well. But it is largely more so guys who never really had much of an NHL career if at all as a player.

I’d imagine they money they did or didn’t make plays a factor in some of this for some of them.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Tripod, thanks for posting that list. It helps seeing all the decisions in one place.

Overall, here are my grades for Hexy.

Develop Talent Pipeline: A

Manage the Salary Cap: A

Hire and Retain Excellent Coaches: D

Execute NHL Trades and Free Agent Signings That Benefit the Team: C

Reactions: Tripod

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Bringing them up after the end of a crappy season doesn't account for much. It worked well in the flyers favor that Hextall is timid and over values veterans. It was possible that Weal might not even be here due to "politics" from last season.
Jordan Weal talks nearly going to Vegas, 'politics' that kept him in AHL

Hextall clearly does not promote players. I'm not sure how you can even remotely think this is possible. Promoting players are the season is lost isn't worth a damn but I'm sure you'll go on about how Dale Weise has size and other nonsense.

Leier was an injury call-up in December last year. Weal was also an injury callup to close out the year as well. Hextall just doesn’t promote guys based purely off play. Someone on the current roster needs to get hurt first & it has to be a long term injury as well for it to happen.

Reactions: Striiker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad