Hextall. An amazing job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
I agree a Plan B would be preferable, but I guess that’s Sandstrom. It’s so hard to have a Plan B when Plan A is a prospect and the world knows he’s their real hope. Nobody of any real ambition will sign here knowing this, so the other option is to develop.

do you seriously know anything about goalies? sandstorm? he's still in the juniors, he's not ready either, why do you think drafted goalies dont start in the nhl right away?

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
I've seen the thread bumped and I can imagine why but i'm still firmly on the Hextall bandwagon.

At the end of the day, the role of a GM is to put a competitive team and farm into place and there's little argument he hasn't done that. Areas of weakness have prospects ready to jump in and we've got one of the youngest teams in the league that will improve. I know it's a slow process and i know it's easy to over-react and throw everything out of the window after a week's poor performance but hockey is a bigger picture game. Homer left us in such a dreadful position it was always going to take years to rebuild. We had nothing on the ice and less in the system. This league is one where you succeed by building from within and Hextall has taken no shortcuts.

There's only so much a GM can do, he's transformed the entire club on paper and that's the limits of a GM's abilities surely? Offensively we have two great lines and two above average lines. Next season we'll have two great defensive lines and one mediocre one. We have one of the greatest goalie prospects in the world seasoning in the AHL. Every position across every line in the roster is spoken for with homegrown talent and once the mistakes of the past are gradually erased we'll have a real contender, not just now but for years to come.

My support for Hex depends on his persistence with Hak, he needs to rectify his biggest mistake. I have confidence he will though. Hakstol in his eyes is clearly a development coach, and the JvR signing suggests he knows he's near the end of the rebuild. I can only hope that next summer he sees it as the time to put his foot down, and that's when a winning coach is needed.

after the Columbus game disaster:
giphy.gif

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
It is time to admit the Hextall rebuild is a failure. This team has failed to improve at all 5 years since hes taken over. All the best things about this team are still from the Homer and Clarke eras.

Reactions: Lurch and Sweetbutt

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Deepest prospect pool in the league and we end up watching Knight/Lehtera/Weise playing with players out and Folin and NO rookies (Lindblom shouldn't count). f*** you Ron. f*** you.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
When Holmgren took over from Clarke we made it to the Stanley Cup final 3 years later.
Hextall hasn't even made it to the 2nd round yet.

You can't call it rebuild forever. At some point it becomes stagnation.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
It isn't just that we have a great prospect pool getting chances later than any NHL franchise would give them, there is also this mentality of useless plugs on the 4th line. Try to find a future lineup with 1-3 bums still on it while skilled prospects flourish in another franchise after not getting a sustained shot. It is coming.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Personally, I think at some point Hextall is going to have to make a quantity for quality type of deal, in other words give up some comb of 4 picks/prospects for an elite player.

I'm not proposing this trade so please don't kill me. THis is for illustration purposes so you understand what I'm attempting to convey

Acquire Sequin from Dallas

trade - Frost, a 1st, vorabev, Friedman.

again, I do not know if this is too much or too little. This is an example of a deal that have to be made at some point.

They need a superstar center for this rebuild.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Personally, I think at some point Hextall is going to have to make a quantity for quality type of deal, in other words give up some comb of 4 picks/prospects for an elite player.

I'm not proposing this trade so please don't kill me. THis is for illustration purposes so you understand what I'm attempting to convey

Acquire Sequin from Dallas

trade - Frost, a 1st, vorabev, Friedman.

again, I do not know if this is too much or too little. This is an example of a deal that have to be made at some point.

They need a superstar center for this rebuild.
Instead Hextall's probably going to do the opposite: Trading away Simmonds for one or two draft picks...

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It is time to admit the Hextall rebuild is a failure. This team has failed to improve at all 5 years since hes taken over. All the best things about this team are still from the Homer and Clarke eras.

Well now that Provorov’s a bust, yeah.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
Instead Hextall's probably going to do the opposite: Trading away Simmonds for one or two draft picks...

Well, I can see you would disapprove of that.

I would like that move, if its a first.

I don't see Simmonds being a long-term factor.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Well, I can see you would disapprove of that.

I would like that move, if its a first.

I don't see Simmonds being a long-term factor.
A year ago I would've liked that trade. Now I just want the best possible team and not another prospect.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
A year ago I would've liked that trade. Now I just want the best possible team and not another prospect.

But, I don't know if keeping Simmonds long-term would be beneficial. I would guess his play will begin declining due to his age, style of play and injury history. Let's say he signs for 6 million per yr. I'd rather allocate that momey to a long-term superstar forward.

In reality, much of this depends on the development of the young players. If they can develop soon then maybe its worth keeping Simmonds. I do not know.

What I do know is that its time to stop babying all the young players/prospects.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
it's going to be his 5th year and these are his hand picked goalies:

Brian Elliott
Michal Neuvirth
Calvin Pickard
Petr Mrazek

His only trade during that time that can be spun as his attempt to improve our current roster NOW was Petr Mrazek, and that was because we literally had to have a goalie.

In a playoff where half the teams in the league get in, he has failed to get us in in consectuive years. Not only that, but he hasn't even built a team that has played a competitive series, let alone win a series. When Homer was 5-years in, he already had 2 Conference Finals trips & a Cup Final trip under his belt.

Hextall is an absolute bum (who hired a bum coach out of nepotism BTW any of you that hate Hak need to hate Hextall as well) and I laugh at those of you that say he's done a better job than Homer.

I wish Ed were still alive he'd have fired them both.

also, we're not trading Simmonds. He's our defacto "trade deadline acquisition" without having to give up any prized "assets." He'll walk at the end of the year and I'm fine with it. I'm tired of trades and making moves around the premise of "futures." It's not 2014 any more and the 2 best (arguable) players on the team are 30.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Imagine how bad the roster would look if hextal wasn't gifted the 2nd overall last year. 5 years in and this team is boring as all hell and getting outplayed significantly.

Something has to give.

Reactions: The Madrigal

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Those last 40 years of Ed firing guys worked great. None of that nasty nepotism from him, either. :laugh:

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
it's going to be his 5th year and these are his hand picked goalies:

Brian Elliott
Michal Neuvirth
Calvin Pickard
Petr Mrazek

His only trade during that time that can be spun as his attempt to improve our current roster NOW was Petr Mrazek, and that was because we literally had to have a goalie.

In a playoff where half the teams in the league get in, he has failed to get us in in consectuive years. Not only that, but he hasn't even built a team that has played a competitive series, let alone win a series. When Homer was 5-years in, he already had 2 Conference Finals trips & a Cup Final trip under his belt.

Hextall is an absolute bum (who hired a bum coach out of nepotism BTW any of you that hate Hak need to hate Hextall as well) and I laugh at those of you that say he's done a better job than Homer.

I wish Ed were still alive he'd have fired them both.

also, we're not trading Simmonds. He's our defacto "trade deadline acquisition" without having to give up any prized "assets." He'll walk at the end of the year and I'm fine with it. I'm tired of trades and making moves around the premise of "futures." It's not 2014 any more and the 2 best (arguable) players on the team are 30.
I like this except the Homer endorsement. [mod]

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I was about to respond to every post and say why this panic is silly, but forgetttttttt about it. No point.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
I like this except the Homer endorsement. [mod]
one of these nights I'm going to put on a pot of coffee and disect Homer vs. hextall move-by-move.

Lord knows going through Hextall's transaction history will take no time at all. I know there are obv some brutal strikeouts with Homer, but he kinda hit some grand slam homeruns as well.

It's been 5-years and Hextall just sitting there working the count hoping for a walk if he can get it MAYBE make contact for single. Slow and steady. Sloooooow and steady. Meanwhile, there's a very real chance the New Jersey Devils & Carolina Hurricanes just passed us by.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
It isn't just that we have a great prospect pool getting chances later than any NHL franchise would give them, there is also this mentality of useless plugs on the 4th line. Try to find a future lineup with 1-3 bums still on it while skilled prospects flourish in another franchise after not getting a sustained shot. It is coming.

That fourth line tonight is what you see after the worst team in the nhl blows up their team at the Trade deadline and that is all that’s left.

The so called deepest young talent in nhl dressing them is pathetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->