Hextall. An amazing job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
I have been looking at this for a long while. It truly is amazing the job he has done ridding the flyers of cap hell and adding a deep prospect pool. I have gone over and over the cap situation after the JVR signing and this team seems to be free of any sort of cap issues in regards to extending the young core of this team at potentially big dollars.
HUGE kudos.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I have been looking at this for a long while. It truly is amazing the job he has done ridding the flyers of cap hell and adding a deep prospect pool. I have gone over and over the cap situation after the JVR signing and this team seems to be free of any sort of cap issues in regards to extending the young core of this team at potentially big dollars.
HUGE kudos.

I agree with you, BUT the huge caveat is the coaching situation. Hakstok was a good idea that hasn't worked out. I don't really blame him for not firing the clown yet - there is nothing in the world that I want more than for Hexy to fire him, but I can understand not doing it yet - but if he gets extended ... I don't know. If that happens, it's rampage time, for sure, but it feels like that's not enough.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
+Drafting: Other than Laberge and potentially Rubstov, Hextall's drafting resume has been immaculate.
+Contract extensions: This has been difficult to evaluate, but so far has done great. Gostisbehere's contract is unbelievably good.

- Coaching staff: Hakstol, Lavi, Gordon all range from disappointing to disasters. And his commitment to incompetence has been annoying to say the least. This is Hextall's biggest flaw.
- Pro player evaluation: Excluding Myers, MDZ has been the only successful signing to date. Hopefully JVR redeems this facet of Hextalls GM tenure.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Seems like it's time for the update!!! Let me know if any changes should be made.

Since Hextall took over:
Year 1&2
Traded Hartnell for Umberger+4th(Wagner flipped for Vorobyev+Salintri…who was not signed)
Traded McGinn for a 3rd(Sandstrom)…McGinn waived by SJ months later
Signed MDZ
Signed Schultz
Signed White
Signed Bellemare
Signed VDV
Traded Coburn for 1st, 3rd(Tomek) + Gudas=Got Konecky by moving up+ Gudas has been great.
Traded Timonen for 2 2nd rounders=fantastic value, used 1 pick to move up for Konecny, the other for Allison
Signed Danick Martel for free=QMJHL 2nd leading scorer...worth a shot
Traded Rinaldo for 3rd(Ustimenko) Rinaldo later waived
Traded Grossmann + Pronger for Gagner + 4th(traded to NYI for 4th in 2017…then used in package for Ratcliffe)
Signed Medvedev=a good KHL player for free…didn't work out
Signed Neuvirth for free=shored up the backup G situation for the next 2 years then resigned for 2 more years
Fired Berube…Flyers fans rejoice
Hired Hakstol
Signed Marti
Signed Bardreau
Signed undrafted 6'5 RHD Philip Myers for free…QMJHL All Star 2016, WJC as well
Traded Vinny and LSchenn for Weal + 3rd(Twarynski)
Got us into the playoffs 2016
Signed top College FA G Lyon for free
Added Goalie Coach Brady Robinson
Added AHL coach Scott Gordon
Oversaw 2 drafts and had these 7 guys at the WJC this year(2015/16):
Provorov: named CHL Dman of the year…now in NHL
Sanheim: highest PPG in the WHL in 20 years for a Dman, Now in NHL
Konecny: great draft+1 season…now in NHL
Lindblom: highest scoring U20 in SHL, SHL Forward of the year, now in NHL
Fazleev: over PPG in WHL, now in AHL
Sandstrom: made WJC multiple times, Named top Goalie at WJC…still in SHL
Kase: Over PPG in MH...made WJC multiple times…now in AHL
Plus drafted:
Aube Kubel: over PPG in QMJHL…now in AHL…top ES scorer
Friedman: WCHA All Star Dman…now in AHL
Tomek: injured all season, made WJC…now in USHL
Dove McFalls: poor pick...not signed
Vorobyov: Was #1C at WJC for Russia….now in AHL
Marody:traded for a 3rd in 2019)
Fedotov: long term G prospect…in VHL
Pettersson: played in AHL, then back to SHL
Year 3
Drafted in 2016:
Rubstov: made WJC….now in AHL
Laberge: CHL All Star Game MVP…not playing to expectations…AHL?
Hart: 2 time CHL goalie of the Year….WJC goalie and gold winner…AHL?
Allison: USHL Playoff MVP, great start to season, got hurt…college again
Twarynski: great season…AHL
Bunnaman: Captain Dave Poulin's obsession
Hogberg: SHL regular, WJC player
Laczynski: Made WJC, had great season…college again
Salinitri: not signed
Bernhardt: Made WJC, SHL regular
Signed Weise for free…has played below expectations
Signed Gordon for free…played below expectations…waived
Added Huffman to handle the D in AHL
Signed AHL players in Brennan, O'Neill, and Miele
Signed Lyubimov for free…did not work out
Traded Streit for Filppula+4th(Sushko)+7th(Kalynuk)
Signed Vecchione as a UFA College player, in AHL doing well
Named Kris Knoblauch assistant coach
Year 4
Traded Cousins+Madsen for Warren+5th(Wylie)
Traded B Schenn for 2 1st rounders-Frost+ 1st(Farabee)
Re-Signed Weal
Re-signed Neuvirth
Signed Elliott
Signed Varone for AHL
Signed Irving then traded him for Tokarski
Drafted in 2017:
Patrick: Now in NHL
Frost: tore up the OHL
Ratcliffe: Traded 3 picks for him: Westerlund+Schnarr+Hoefenmayer
Ustimenko
Strome
Sushko
Cates
Lycksell
Kalynuk
Traded 3rd in 2018(Seth Barton) for Mrazek
Claimed Oduya off waivers while losing Alt to waivers
Year 5
Drafted in 2018
Farabee
O'Brien
Ginning
St.Ivany
Wylie
Ersson
Hain
Westfalt
Signed JVR
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
A bad coach can be replaced. A bad group of players need years!

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
I was looking over their cap situation this year and next. At this point, they have over $34 million available after this year. Not including any rookies that make the team, signings, or the cap moving. They only have to re-sign Provorov, Konecny, Simmonds, Laughton, and figure out the goalie situation. They'll have some rookies replacing the lower guys who's contract will run out (Lehtera, Raffl, and Weal). They can move Simmonds to free up more space if needed. MacDonald will be going into his last year so he can be bought out or traded easier. Hextall has done a good job getting out of contracts and replenishing the prospect pool. They should be in a good spot for years. Only problem is the coaching.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
When hexxy left for la i knew they were grooming him to take over. When they won out there my confidence in him greatly increased. I truly have faith hexxy is going to bring a parade down broad st.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Don't care about anything except success on the ice, of which there's been none yet.

Until he delivers playoff Ws, I don't care how many paper victories he has or how well the cap's managed.

dbr2

Lockout Beard
Mar 12, 2008
NJ
I am for firing Hakstol as much as the next guy. But, Giroux and Couts had impressive seasons and those alone bought Hak more time.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
He litrully traded Schenn. You can stuff your "amazing jobs" in a sack, mister.

Let's say you have to move Schenn after a breakout season on the Flyers. Ignore why...just you have to move him. Does Farabee and Frost get it done for you?

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
i think its as simple as Giroux being healthy. Its not like giroux has never been good before.

There's also a ton of defensive pressure taken off his shoulders now that he's a winger.

He's 1) healthy, 2) unchained by defensive responsibilities, 3) given linemates who compliment him well.

It's a combination of a lot of things, but I agree that health is a major component in this.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
There's also a ton of defensive pressure taken off his shoulders now that he's a winger.

He's 1) healthy, 2) unchained by defensive responsibilities, 3) given linemates who compliment him well.

It's a combination of a lot of things, but I agree that health is a major component in this.

I don't his defensive role was reduced as much asyou think. Claude had the lowest ozone start percentage of his career, and he took more draws than couturier. Clearly he has been moved off the pk , which may be a mistake . Physically Giroux looked better last year than at anytime since ive seen him play. I remarked on it after the first preseason game that i don't think i've ever seen him skate so fast.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I don't his defensive role was reduced as much asyou think. Claude had the lowest ozone start percentage of his career, and he took more draws than couturier. Clearly he has been moved off the pk , which may be a mistake . Physically Giroux looked better last year than at anytime since ive seen him play. I remarked on it after the first preseason game that i don't think i've ever seen him skate so fast.

That's fairly mindblowing. I didn't realize that this was a thing.

Good on Giroux then if health is 99% of his reawakening.

My biggest concern going forward is a situation like the postseason this year where Pens were just allowed to tee off on him constantly. If you shut down Giroux, you shut down our offense.

Hopefully a second line with JVR - NP - JV can take some pressure off G. If you can get some people worried about other players, it'll do wonders for G's longevity.

Reactions: GagneHanson12

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
That's fairly mindblowing. I didn't realize that this was a thing.

Good on Giroux then if health is 99% of his reawakening.

My biggest concern going forward is a situation like the postseason this year where Pens were just allowed to tee off on him constantly. If you shut down Giroux, you shut down our offense.

Hopefully a second line with JVR - NP - JV can take some pressure off G. If you can get some people worried about other players, it'll do wonders for G's longevity.

Its no surprise that if you pressure giroux on the half wall our pp becomes pathetic. That is where Pitt really dominated us. As far as even strength play , I felt giroux had more than ample opportunities, but he just looked off. He made some brutal turnovers that led directly to goals on many occassions. Coots played like a warrior and if g could have played with half as much heart and with a little luck and with no gudsas turnovers we could have won that series. But with the injuries to coots and provy maybe its a blessing we lost. either way I don't think you can read too much into that series with Pitt.

That is the one thing about Giroux that worries me going forward, as great as he is he can still be shutdown. you usually don't see that from the best of the best . I don't think he will have as much of the burnden on himself to put up the points like he did this year. I fully expect Patrick to step into the role of being a huge faciliator on offense.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Its no surprise that if you pressure giroux on the half wall our pp becomes pathetic. That is where Pitt really dominated us. As far as even strength play , I felt giroux had more than ample opportunities, but he just looked off. He made some brutal turnovers that led directly to goals on many occassions. Coots played like a warrior and if g could have played with half as much heart and with a little luck and with no gudsas turnovers we could have won that series. But with the injuries to coots and provy maybe its a blessing we lost. either way I don't think you can read too much into that series with Pitt.

That is the one thing about Giroux that worries me going forward, as great as he is he can still be shutdown. you usually don't see that from the best of the best . I don't think he will have as much of the burnden on himself to put up the points like he did this year. I fully expect Patrick to step into the role of being a huge faciliator on offense.

I don't see it that way, I see it as G has no options. Smart teams will crowd G and Ghost on the PP and we struggle. The Pens were openly leaving Jake WIDE open as he is a low risk threat to score on the PP. his first option is always back to G or the cross crease pass and if it fails it usually leads to a zone clear.

A shooting threat on the right side will open up a lot of room for G and Ghost.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I don't see it that way, I see it as G has no options. Smart teams will crowd G and Ghost on the PP and we struggle. The Pens were openly leaving Jake WIDE open as he is a low risk threat to score on the PP. his first option is always back to G or the cross crease pass and if it fails it usually leads to a zone clear.

A shooting threat on the right side will open up a lot of room for G and Ghost.

i don't neccessarily want giroux making that pass across the ice, that is good for every now and then but overtime that will lead to more turnovers. Ghost did a fine job handling the pressure, it was giroux that really struggled for whatever reason. He was off that series no doubt about it, but i am not going to overanalyze 6 games especially after the year he just had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad