Confirmed with Link: He's Back - Brouwer

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
You know he's going to be leading our forwards in ATOI - fresh legs and all - joining us mid season, not being banged up right now... :sarcasm:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Ugggh. Brouwer is one of my least favorite Blues ever. Hopefully he will be used in the limited role that he is best suited, and the youngsters force their way into the lineup soon.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Have to imagine Kyrou is up soon to help out in the top 9. The kid has been crushing it in the AHL this year(and last year) and we gave him 16 NHL games last year. You'd think the front office is ready for him to get his big chance now.

Brouwer will fill in here and there in the bottom 6.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
As long as he's starting out on the 3rd/4th line unless he proves he can help the top 6, i'm ok with it.
He wasn't a Top 6 forward when he was here four years ago. He won't be one this time around either.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I'm fine with Brouwer taking Maroon's spot alonside Bozak if Thomas ultimately ends up back on that third-line come playoff time. I still think we're getting a top-6 winger not currently on the roster to help while Taransenko is out, and into the playoffs. (Kreider, Kyrou, Hall, etc.). If #91 eventually does come back in the post-season, i don't see how Brouwer even dresses unless we're going to try to wear down the opponent physically. Then he'd be suited for rotation into the bottom-6 as guys get banged up.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Are you saying the coaching staff doesn't know what they are doing or something? If so, seems weird considering they just coached them to a cup.... And are currently first in the conference..
The same coaching staff that has had Sanford glued to a line with Perron and O'Reilly despite being visibly garbage? The same coaching staff that instead of giving Fabbri time in a top 6 role, either stuck him on the 4th line or put him in the press box?

I'm not saying they don't know what they're doing, but they sure as f*** make some questionable choices. A Stanley Cup win does not make them immune from criticism or questioning.

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
The same coaching staff that has had Sanford glued to a line with Perron and O'Reilly despite being visibly garbage? The same coaching staff that instead of giving Fabbri time in a top 6 role, either stuck him on the 4th line or put him in the press box?

I'm not saying they don't know what they're doing, but they sure as **** make some questionable choices. A Stanley Cup win does not make them immune from criticism or questioning.
Following up a cup win by being 1st in the conference 25% through the season sure makes criticism of them hard to take serious though. Fabbri is gone. He asked to be gone. He wants to get as much ice time as possible so he can hopefully get a bigger/longer term contract after this one.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
He wasn't a Top 6 forward when he was here four years ago. He won't be one this time around either.
He had 39 points that year. Only 144 forwards hit that mark in that season and 193 hit the 30 point mark.

He had 18 goals that year. Only 115 forwards hit that mark in that season and just 148 hit the 15 goal mark.

He had 29 even strength points that year. 146 forwards hit that mark with 189 hitting the 25 point mark.

With 30 NHL teams, there are 180 'top 6' spots in the NHL. From a production standpoint, he was squarely a top 6 player.

He also had 200 hits, more takeaways than giveaways, and finished a +2. His possession numbers weren't good and his expected +/- was -3, but he also started in the defensive zone 60% of the time so his usage wasn't exactly sheltered.

You can argue that he is better described as a middle 6 player that year, but I think the context of this conversation was about 'helping the top 6' by being a support player on a top 6 line. So if you are referring to that type of usage as a top 6 player, then he would have been a top 6 player that year.

I don't think he is capable of being a 35+ point player at this point in his career, but arguing that he isn't capable of that because he wasn't capable of that 4 years ago is just inaccurate. You don't need to downplay the player he was 4 years ago to justify believing he isn't good enough to play with ROR/Perron today.

Last edited:

bradrich99

Feb 3, 2009
42°59′01″N 081°14′59″W
What I gather from reading through this is that some "fans" find happiness in being miserable about something. Yes, they won the Cup and yes they are currently the top team in the Western Conference but surely we can find something to complain about, right?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
What I gather from reading through this is that some "fans" find happiness in being miserable about something. Yes, they won the Cup and yes they are currently the top team in the Western Conference but surely we can find something to complain about, right?

And for some fans, it is all or nothing. If you don't drink the kool-aid and agree with everything the team does, you are miserable and looking for something to be upset about. There is a middle ground where you can appreciate what the coaching staff did and still question some of its decisions. No coaching staff is immune to criticism.

As for our wonderful record this year, we are sitting on a razor's edge. We only have a +3 goal differential this year, the worst of any Western conference team currently in a playoff spot aside from Winnipeg. Nashville who is on the outside of the playoff picture has a +3 as well. We are 28th of 31 team in expected GF% 5v5. We are getting out scoring chanced, and severely out High-danger chanced 5v5. Because of special teams and Binnington, we are able to ride it out and eke out close wins. But we are another injury, or a key player slumping away from toppling down the standings. So yes, the team, coaching and management is open to criticism this season.

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
And for some fans, it is all or nothing. If you don't drink the kool-aid and agree with everything the team does, you are miserable and looking for something to be upset about. There is a middle ground where you can appreciate what the coaching staff did and still question some of its decisions. No coaching staff is immune to criticism.

As for our wonderful record this year, we are sitting on a razor's edge. We only have a +3 goal differential this year, the worst of any Western conference team currently in a playoff spot aside from Winnipeg. Nashville who is on the outside of the playoff picture has a +3 as well. We are 28th of 31 team in expected GF% 5v5. We are getting out scoring chanced, and severely out High-danger chanced 5v5. Because of special teams and Binnington, we are able to ride it out and eke out close wins. But we are another injury, or a key player slumping away from toppling down the standings. So yes, the team, coaching and management is open to criticism this season.
And on the flip side it means they haven't been great, but are still getting results. Every single team is sitting on a razor's edge. Every single team is a injury or key player slumping from toppling down the standings.

Reactions: bradrich99

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003

No.
Brouwer signed in Calgary because he wanted to be closer to his father. He was going there no matter what; Calgary was just stupid about it and bid against themselves(granted, a lot of the contracts handed out that summer were ridiculous and Brouwer's wasn't even close to the worst one).

Brouwer's father is in bad health. He had a stroke in 2010 and has had several brain surgeries to deal with blood clots from the episode. Troy had a chance to go play in front of his dad and he took it. Nobody rational could really "blame" him for that.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis

Faulk is the current scapegoat...until Brouwer steps on the ice...

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

I'm not saying they don't know what they're doing, but they sure as **** make some questionable choices. A Stanley Cup win does not make them immune from criticism or questioning.

Sanford hasn't been "garbage," that's just your own bias speaking. He is much better suited to playoff hockey while Fabbri is a defensive liability in tight-checking games. They aren't building the best offensive team that can win in November, they are building a team that can win in May and June.

I'm sure Berube and Armstrong know what they are doing even if you or other fans don't get it. They prefer two way players, not one dimensional offensive players.

Regarding Brouwer, it's good to have a respected veteran around. He seems to have a great attitude and work ethic. It will be good to have him around, even if he's far past his prime on the ice. As the announcers mentioned last night, it might light a fire under bottom six guys to know that they have to compete for ice time going forward.

Reactions: Blueston

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Sanford hasn't been "garbage," that's just your own bias speaking. He is much better suited to playoff hockey while Fabbri is a defensive liability in tight-checking games. They aren't building the best offensive team that can win in November, they are building a team that can win in May and June.

I'm sure Berube and Armstrong know what they are doing even if you or other fans don't get it. They prefer two way players, not one dimensional offensive players.

Regarding Brouwer, it's good to have a respected veteran around. He seems to have a great attitude and work ethic. It will be good to have him around, even if he's far past his prime on the ice. As the announcers mentioned last night, it might light a fire under bottom six guys to know that they have to compete for ice time going forward.
Hear hear! Well said!

Reactions: tkenney65

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
No.
Brouwer signed in Calgary because he wanted to be closer to his father. He was going there no matter what; Calgary was just stupid about it and bid against themselves(granted, a lot of the contracts handed out that summer were ridiculous and Brouwer's wasn't even close to the worst one).

Brouwer's father is in bad health. He had a stroke in 2010 and has had several brain surgeries to deal with blood clots from the episode. Troy had a chance to go play in front of his dad and he took it. Nobody rational could really "blame" him for that.
Yeah, you’re right. I’m sure they could have gotten him for league minimum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad