Confirmed with Link: He's baaaaaaaaaaaaack.........

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
The overreaction here is amusing. At least we'll get more mileage out of the famous .gif, too.

Carlo was one of those guys that kind of got screwed by the salary cap going down. He should have caught on with someone SOMEWHERE. The Blues certainly don't have a better option at the #7 spot (minus Leopold) now anyway. He won't play ahead of Cole. Since Leopold is out for 2+ months, it makes sense to get someone who could realistically play in the NHL. If Chorney had suddenly become a regular with one more defensive injury, things would start to look uncomfortable.

Another nice feature of this is that some of the whipping boy status vs Stewart can tone down, as Colaiacovo draws fire.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
A full page without the .gif? We're slacking, boys/girls.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Prediction:

The Blues continue to have random injuries here and there so that Colaiacovo remains on the playoff roster. Jackman gets brutally boarded and is out with a concussion. Blues continue to advance. Deciding game of the SCF Carlo Colaiacovo becomes a Blues hero by scoring the game-winning goal. After all of this.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
Prediction:

The Blues continue to have random injuries here and there so that Colaiacovo remains on the playoff roster. Jackman gets brutally boarded and is out with a concussion. Blues continue to advance. Deciding game of the SCF Carlo Colaiacovo becomes a Blues hero by scoring the game-winning goal. After all of this.

Calling BS, jax would play through a concussion.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
More realistic prediction:

First practice since signing contract. Colaiacovo is pumped. Races out to the ice. Forgets he's still wearing skate guards. Falls. Breaks face. Dr. Rick declares the injury inoperable.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Prediction:

He'd drop the cup, breaking both it and his foot.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
I don't like the signing because I think he will play over Cole. It's Hitchcock we are talking about.

I do think Colaiacovo is fine as a 5/6 guy. Used in the right role I think he's a good 5/6 guy.

A lot of the hate comes from him being overmatched on the top pairing. Also because he never is healthy.

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
yes! he's back <3

1292824012_gifki_09.gif

Last edited:

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I don't like the signing because I think he will play over Cole. It's Hitchcock we are talking about.

I do think Colaiacovo is fine as a 5/6 guy. Used in the right role I think he's a good 5/6 guy.

A lot of the hate comes from him being overmatched on the top pairing. Also because he never is healthy.

Actually I think that's all the hate :laugh:

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006

Ian Cole would demand a trade if Carlo was given a spot in the lineup right off the hop. Not going to happen. Despite how sparingly he's been used over the last year, many people in the organization think highly of Cole. And these are people that weren't around when he was drafted. Watch the pre-game presser and Hitch lays out his thoughts on Cole over the last year. Carlo was signed because the alternatives in the minors are brutal. And b/c he's good in the room.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Colaiacovo: My Views

He's not going to play above Cole, although (like all the healthy scratch players) he IS going to get to play in a game from time to time. Its up to him to prove its in the Blues' interest to find a way to keep him in the line-up.

His injuries have been frustrating. He was (similar to Brewer) forced to play in a role that wasn't really to his strengths a lot of the time when he was here before. But he also had stretches where I was very pleased with his play.

The problem started to become that he was simply over-paid for his role on the team. That was his problem in Detroit, too. But (and details are still vague) if he's here for a minimum contract its hard to complain about that. Its also fortuitous that a guy with serious NHL experience who is still young is available.

Carlo got squeezed out with the salary cap decrease. Rather than pursue a contract overseas, he opted to wait for just such an opportunity as this: a team losing a regular defender for a lengthy duration and needing a replacement.

It was a big gamble for him, and this is a huge important opportunity for him in terms of next year's options. He has to look credible as an NHL player who can help a team win games.

He's not going to be in game shape, regardless of his regimen. Cole is going to be the guy playing, but Carlo at least will provide a realistic 7th man who can play.

Bottom line, I like the move because there is literally no risk from the Blues. Worst case scenario they cut him and go with Chorney (or another AHL option).

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
Colaiacovo: My Views

He's not going to play above Cole, although (like all the healthy scratch players) he IS going to get to play in a game from time to time. Its up to him to prove its in the Blues' interest to find a way to keep him in the line-up.

His injuries have been frustrating. He was (similar to Brewer) forced to play in a role that wasn't really to his strengths a lot of the time when he was here before. But he also had stretches where I was very pleased with his play.

The problem started to become that he was simply over-paid for his role on the team. That was his problem in Detroit, too. But (and details are still vague) if he's here for a minimum contract its hard to complain about that. Its also fortuitous that a guy with serious NHL experience who is still young is available.

Carlo got squeezed out with the salary cap decrease. Rather than pursue a contract overseas, he opted to wait for just such an opportunity as this: a team losing a regular defender for a lengthy duration and needing a replacement.

It was a big gamble for him, and this is a huge important opportunity for him in terms of next year's options. He has to look credible as an NHL player who can help a team win games.

He's not going to be in game shape, regardless of his regimen. Cole is going to be the guy playing, but Carlo at least will provide a realistic 7th man who can play.

Bottom line, I like the move because there is literally no risk from the Blues. Worst case scenario they cut him and go with Chorney (or another AHL option).

I agree. I love the signing. Being able to get a player of Colaiacovo's quality this late injury the season is great, then add in he is familiar with the team and the system. I love the signing and think the Blues kicked out on this one.

Interitus

Jan 17, 2012
Quick, somebody with far more skills than I... modify the gif with a big "I'm baaaaaacccckkk!" as he hits the glass.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
The first warm weekend someone invite him over for a barbecue, after he's had his third beer ask him has he's ever played Jarts, as we all know the answer has to be no, by the second game, problem solved.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Would be absolutely hilarious though if Colaiacovo started over Cole on Thursday and got injured. Won't happen, and I like Cole, but that would be too funny if he already passed him.

Boyesfan

Feb 4, 2008
Personally I love it. That is as long as he doesn't play over Cole. For a 7th Dman until Leopold gets back I think its great. I don't quite understand all the hate toward him though. He was over matched playing on the top pairing but as a bottom 6 defender I think he would be solid. Is he still made of glass sure, does he also have some of the worst luck in the NHL sure but if he can play like he did a few years ago I am perfectly ok with it.

Jzk

Mar 12, 2009
As long as he doesn't take time away from Cole who cares? He's still a solid bottom paring guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad