Injury Report: Hertl

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Perhaps you are just being overly exuberant, but I’d place the onus for the outcome of that hit squarely with Hertl. Not only did he not protect himself but he put himself in an extremely vulnerable position. I didn’t see anything malicious by Folin at all.

To be clear, I like what the league is doing to protect players and for the most part I think they’ve done a good job changing the way the game is played for the better. But there’s no way of eliminating all injuries/concussions short of removing all contact. In this case I simply think Hertl got caught putting his head down at just about the worst time.
Guess I am being over exuberant. Still, I'm frustrated that on a night we won, we still got kicked in the balls. Hertl looking down at the puck wasn't smart for sure. It's a good thing I'm not an NHLer because I saw red all the way after the hit.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
No problem! Gackle also said dtd, but concussions can be tricky. Hope they don't rush him back.

Yeah. Hertl is basically the next Pavelski at this point so you want to make sure he's as healthy as can be. Also if this gets guys like Chartier and Soumela in the line up on a regular basis, I'm fine with that.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Even though I put more responsibility on Hertl for the result of the hit, I still wish someone would have dropped the gloves with Folin.

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004
Here's why that hit looks dirty to me.

Folin comes towards Hertl with lowered shoulders, then at the point of impact he raises his shoulder into Hertl. What purpose would you have to raise your shoulder into a player.

Hertl keeps the same posture, doesn't raise or lower his body, the entire time.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Here's why that hit looks dirty to me.

Folin comes towards Hertl with lowered shoulders, then at the point of impact he raises his shoulder into Hertl. What purpose would you have to raise your shoulder into a player.

Hertl keeps the same posture, doesn't raise or lower his body, the entire time.
He was bent forward to try to play the puck, when he realizes Hertl has it and is going to try to dance him, he goes for the hit which makes his move upright.

It's an unfortunate play but I have a hard time seeing it as dirty. I guess the league could punish it since sometimes intent doenst really matter but I'm not sure what else Folin is supposed to do there..Hertl should keep his head up

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
On the one hand you want to see your best forward protected, but on other, an instigator may have wiped out the win.

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004
He was bent forward to try to play the puck, when he realizes Hertl has it and is going to try to dance him, he goes for the hit which makes his move upright.

It's an unfortunate play but I have a hard time seeing it as dirty. I guess the league could punish it since sometimes intent doenst really matter but I'm not sure what else Folin is supposed to do there..Hertl should keep his head up

It wouldn't be okay for someone to hook another player because they "danced" around them. Same way it's not okay to go shoulder to face.

Impact to the chin can knock people out.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
It wouldn't be okay for someone to hook another player because they "danced" around them. Same way it's not okay to go shoulder to face.

My point is I don't think he was targeting the head at all and just went for the hit. You said it looked dirty, dirty implies malice. It's a penalty that was missed but it wasn't dirty

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It was a dumb play by Hertl who has always played a little more reckless than he should. There could have been a 2 minute call on Folin for hitting the head but it was clearly unintentional on his part and so absolutely nothing more would be warranted. Unfortunate result for sure, but it was not a dirty hit.

A Shark player jumping in and fighting Folin would just be stupid meathead hockey. The team proved against the Islanders that they will stand up for one another when it is appropriate. This wasn’t one of those situations.

Thankfully Hertl is going to be fine long term.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

In the NHL, a shoulder to the face is fine if it's done a certain way and Folin did hit Hertl in a position where the onus is on Hertl to keep his head up.

As for no one dropping with him, Dillon did go after him between the whistles at one point but he wasn't dropping them. Can't do much at that point.

Reactions: mooncalf

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
How did he go from game time decision to not even skating? Did he have a setback?

Hertl was on ice in morning skate. Just not taking part of line rushes. No reason to rush especially with back to back games. My guess says he'll be back in tomorrow.

SharksCyclops

May 4, 2010
Bay Area
Hertl was on ice in morning skate. Just not taking part of line rushes. No reason to rush especially with back to back games. My guess says he'll be back in tomorrow.
If we win tonight they may give him an extra one off against a relatively less dominant Blues team.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
For this being such a quick road trip I wonder why Hertl even went. If he wanted to do morning skates, he could have just been with the cuda or something and did it here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad