Confirmed with Link: Hertl re-signs to 4 year contract 5.625 AAV

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
He did play Labanc with Hertl and Couture for over 200 even strength minutes last year. I think it's pretty likely he goes back to that well with Boedker gone.
If PDB wants to make that Hertl-Couture line his toughest matchup line, then put Donskoi at RW. He fits the playmaking F2 role Couture needs and prior to the Kane trade they put together a few really solid games. Would mean 9-19-8, 48-39-27, 28-50-62 as the top 9 forward groups with no other changes to the roster through trade or UFA.

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
~3.5 more years @ $5.625m

tenor.gif

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Bumping this made me read through it again. Classic.

A lot of people will miss this one, but it’s by far the best of the thread:

I still don't understand the ongoing preoccupation with trading Tierney. He's not a high-demand player. He's not going to bring back an elite return or be the centerpiece of any deal that gets made.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
After re-reading this thread, there are some very poor takes, and from a couple surprising sources.

Anyway the best part of this thread is definitely the Tierney talk, and who he is or is not worth in a trade. Lmao his value turned out to be worth a crap ton more then we thought haha.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Indeed, and whatever happened to Maladroit? His response was pretty salty.

It’s pretty incredible how his big knock on Hertl was ESP/60 and now Hertl’s ESP/60 is literally top-10 in the NHL. I don’t think Hertl will sustain his current rate of 3.32 but I could easily see him finishing above 3.0 which is elite 1C territory.

mooncalf

Mar 15, 2017
San Jose
Hertl was probably our best forward in the playoffs this past season, and has been improving every year with the exception of a slight sophomore slump coming off a big injury. I'm also fine with 4 years considering his injury history. I don't dislike this contract at all, he should be one of our 2 or 3 best players over the life of this contract. Also, fun must be always :)
I stand by this, though now I wish the contract were longer.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Kind of shows how you can have a completely sensible take on something and still end up hilariously wrong.

I never said he wouldn't return anything of value in any trade. I said he wouldn't be the centerpiece of a significant trade. And he wasn't. He was part of a package. And if we're being rational, he was probably no better than the 3rd most important piece of the package behind Norris and the 1st. Maybe 4th if you believe that there were people in the Ottawa camp who highly valued Balcers. I'd argue that even stretching it, probably the highest you can rank him is 2nd most important if you think that his improvement this year is a sign of things to come. But I feel like that's a stretch.

Was I wrong in suggesting there was no point in considering trading him? Yeah, absolutely. But "hilariously wrong"? Hardly.

Reactions: slocal

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
I thought I commented in here, but I didn't. Anyway, I loved Hertl back then and I love him now. Just now he puts up points. We may really make crappy draft picks sometimes, but forgetting the draft, I look forward to having Hertl and Meier on our team for the foreseeable future.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
For what's it is worth, Maladroit's argument was procedurally sound. Hertl's improvement was improbable, so crowing about this contract send tinged with outcome bias.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Hertl's improvement was improbable, so crowing about this contract send tinged with outcome bias.

Yes and no. It was pretty obvious that last year was an improvement on the year before. Towards the end of the year and into the playoffs, he was perhaps our best forward and creating offense every shift. He just wasn't finishing.

In the sense that he would breakout and be able to carry his own line like he has, yes, that was improbable considering how many times that experiment didn't pan out.

i think everyone in the revival part of this thread is pretty transparent about the outcome bias. We are just celebrating a win :)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
For what's it is worth, Maladroit's argument was procedurally sound. Hertl's improvement was improbable, so crowing about this contract send tinged with outcome bias.

I hate to be this person, but it wasn’t improbable to people who watched Hertl play, especially after the playoffs he had against Vegas. I said a hundred times that with a little finish, Hertl could be a 70 point two-way center. And given that it wasn’t like he had stone hands, him developing finish wasn’t out of reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad