Prospect Info: Hershey Bears/South Carolina Stingrays 2020-2021 Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA
The team is fairly stacked but Shepard has been phenomenal when I’ve been able to catch a period or two here and there. I could see him in a Hershey sweater depending on how the Caps goaltending situation and taxi squad shakes out.

If they decide to cut Anderson I assume he and Fucale will be the duo in Hershey.

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA
Possibly. Depends on if they can fit Copley’s deal on the roster or on the taxi squad

I think Copley will be on the taxi squad or in Hershey. I think Vanecek is by far the leader in the clubhouse for the back up job. And I don’t think they have room for Copley’s contract because they will probably roster 8 D to avoid waivers.

Also, Vanecek requires waivers to go on the taxi squad and I wonder what the organization’s appetite is to place him on waivers. I think a team that might be panicking about their goalie depth this year would definitely want to put a claim in.

Reactions: Futures Passed

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Is VV a 25 yr old AHL’er with zero NHL experience really all that coveted in a waiver claim scenario? Seems like there could be multiple guys of his ilk that could hit waivers.

That said I hope he shows enough to win the job out of camp.

Reactions: racingmoose

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think Copley will be on the taxi squad or in Hershey. I think Vanecek is by far the leader in the clubhouse for the back up job. And I don’t think they have room for Copley’s contract because they will probably roster 8 D to avoid waivers.

Also, Vanecek requires waivers to go on the taxi squad and I wonder what the organization’s appetite is to place him on waivers. I think a team that might be panicking about their goalie depth this year would definitely want to put a claim in.
Anthony Stolarz just passed thru waivers. Doubt anyone would claim Vanecek.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hershey will be in trouble if their goaltending tandem is Fucale and Shepard. Hoping Copley gets sent down for the season or they pick up an UFA. Fucale has never been an AHL starter and has played the majority of his career in the ECHL

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Anthony Stolarz just passed thru waivers. Doubt anyone would claim Vanecek.
Stolarz had already cleared waivers twice, though. Vanecek does have more appeal IMO just because he's yet to get a shot and doesn't come with an injury history. That said, Vanecek should have the back-up spot locked down. The only option on a cheaper contract that might be an upgrade and potentially available on waivers is Domingue and even that's iffy. They should give him the opportunity and, if need, revisit as necessary.

Hard to say what they may do if Anderson doesn't inspire enough confidence as the taxi squad goalie. You'd think they'd have interest in someone on waivers over Copley or, if nothing else, adding more organizational depth if Copley is indeed not in Hershey.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Stolarz had already cleared waivers twice, though. Vanecek does have more appeal IMO just because he's yet to get a shot and doesn't come with an injury history. That said, Vanecek should have the back-up spot locked down. The only option on a cheaper contract that might be an upgrade and potentially available on waivers is Domingue and even that's iffy. They should give him the opportunity and, if need, revisit as necessary.

I would agree if Stolarz had looked bad in his NHL cups of coffee. He didn't have a great stint with Edmonton, but he'd looked solid-to-great in Philadelphia and good in his lone game in Anaheim. The injury history does bring some concern, but I feel like Stolarz is still a more appealing goalie around the league than Vanecek is.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
I don't think necks are meant to bend that way...

Is it me or do coaches need to do more to teach guys how to protect themselves/take a hit? Seems like everything the guy did made it worse - though Riat shouldn't really be doing that.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Oh. If they move Copley now from the taxi squad to the AHL team they will be over the Cap. It is like a buyout without the buyout. He will not see the ice for one year and we will have two goalies on the taxi squad. Hershey should start looking for a G.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Oh. If they move Copley now from the taxi squad to the AHL team they will be over the Cap. It is like a buyout without the buyout. He will not see the ice for one year and we will have two goalies on the taxi squad. Hershey should start looking for a G.
Someone else can correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think this is true. Being on the taxi squad is the equivalent of being in the minors salary wise and teams still have to make the salary cap work

Reactions: Rayquaza64

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Someone else can correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think this is true. Being on the taxi squad is the equivalent of being in the minors salary wise and teams still have to make the salary cap work
Last season Copley cap hit was -$100,000 while in AHL. Now it is -$25,000 on taxi squad.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Last season Copley cap hit was -$100,000 while in AHL. Now it is -$25,000 on taxi squad.
From what I found for the rules:

As usual, every team will play with a 23-player roster and have to comply with an $81.5 million salary cap. But in 2021, each team will now be allowed to carry between four and six additional players on its "taxi squad." Those players will practice with the team, and potentially travel as well. If they're on a two-way deal, they'll make their full minor league salaries unless they are activated to the NHL roster. In the context of the salary cap, a taxi squad player's salary will be counted like a contract that is buried in the AHL.

Reactions: searle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad