Prospect Info: Hershey Bears/South Carolina Stingrays 2020-2021 Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA
Also, the Capitals make all Hockey ops decisions for the Bears, based on the affiliation agreement. Even if a player is on an AHL only deal, GMBM is at least signing off on it, if not making the call to sign that player in the first place. Spencer Carberry is probably the next coach of the Capitals once Lavy runs his course, if they can keep him from getting scooped by another organization in the meantime. I doubt he would be making any lineup decisions that would jeopardize his standing with Mac, Ross Mahoney, Chris Patrick etc.

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
Your personal attacks against me and your generalizations about me are so common every time you do not like what I say. Let's imagine you do not rememder the awful O'Brien-Gersich two season long first line idious period. After all you can forget two recent Hershey years. It is not that important.

Let's look at this year games. Why are they playing Sgarboss as their 1C? First line center should be McMichael. He is the Caps prospect. When Protas is here, he should be the 2C. Leason and Clark on bottom 6 is idious. Riat and Pilon are done with NHL. Clark and Leason should have all the chances to progress now.

I find these types of arguments interesting. A player who is developing needs to be in a position to succeed and to be mentored. The Hershey/Caps partnership has been a solid approach. Hershey wants to win. It also benefits the Caps to have their prospects in a winning environment and being around veterans to help them grow. Another plus is having veterans such as Sgarbossa around. He isn't destined to be a regular NHL player, but he's an elite AHL player and can fill in at the NHL level as we saw this season. As someone who was seen most of the Hershey games over the last 30+ years and also lucky enough to be a scout whose assignment was mostly AHL & Collegiate players in the area, I've been fortunate enough to see many young talents come and go. The AHL is much different than juniors, collegiate, and European leagues. The AHL is much closer to the level of play in the NHL than those leagues. Some don't make it, not due to their talent, but due to their mental makeup and inability to act like a 'pro'. Others who are considered borderline talent-wise, have incredible work ethic, grow as a player, as a person, and succeed. Beck Malenstyn is a great example. Unfortunately, he has had to miss this season or he was in line to compete for a roster spot in Washington and was expected to do so.

Playing someone and putting them into critical situations just because they were a draft pick isn't a recipe for success. Clark & Leason have shown improvement this year and their roles have increased. They need to continue to improve and play the right way. Riat is still feeling his way around in the AHL. Pilon has worked hard and put himself into a call up position potentially.

Last edited:

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
I find these types of arguments interesting. A player who is developing needs to be in a position to succeed and to mentored. The Hershey/Caps partnership has been a solid approach. Hershey wants to win. It also benefits the Caps to have their prospects in a winning environment and being around veterans to help them grow. Another plus is having veterans such as Sgarbossa around. He isn't destined to be a regular NHL player, but he's an elite AHL player and can fill in at the NHL level as we saw this season. As someone who was seen most of the Hershey games over the last 30+ years and also lucky enough to be a scout whose assignment was mostly AHL & Collegiate players in the area, I've been fortunate enough to see many young talents come and go. The AHL is much different than juniors, collegiate, and European leagues. The AHL is much closer to the level of play in the NHL than those leagues. Some don't make it, not due to their talent, but due to their mental makeup and inability to act like a 'pro'. Others who are considered borderline talent-wise, have incredible work ethic, grow as a player, as a person, and succeed.

Playing someone and putting them into critical situations just because they were a draft pick isn't a recipe for success.
All this would be true if AHL coaches were more talanted pros and natural gifted teachers. But in practice some/all of them are selfish cowards more than genius man leaders and teachers. Many prospects cannot succide not becose of their 'mentality' problems but becose they are in a bad systeme. Can someone explain me why a coach with more than two neirons in his head will play O'Brien on the first line and PP1 unit for so long past seasons? It is so easy to ****up your job with the players and than say 'Oh, it is not me, it is not My fault, they had mentality issues'.

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
All this would be true if AHL coaches were more talanted pros and natural gifted teachers. But in practice some/all of them are selfish cowards more than genius man leaders and teachers. Many prospects cannot succide not becose of their 'mentality' problems but becose they are in a bad systeme. Can someone explain me why a coach with more than two neirons in his head will play O'Brien on the first line and PP1 unit for so long past seasons? It is so easy to ****up your job with the players and than say 'Oh, it is not me, it is not My fault, they had mentality issues'.

Ummm, I guess you're saying NHL coaches are selfish cowards also since the vast majority have AHL coaching experience. It's obvious you have a completely different opinion of how a player grows and succeeds. I guess we'll agree to disagree. The same with O'Brien. O'Brien has some touch and decent hands, physicality, and surprising speed. Based on what was needed on the first line & PP1 at times, he was the best fit. And he was very successful at it.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
O'Brien has some touch and decent hands, physicality, and surprising speed. Based on what was needed on the first line & PP1 at times, he was the best fit. And he was very successful at it.
Why he is not in NHL now if he is so good? O'Brien has/had nothing to do on the firts line and the PP1 unit. Playing him in the top9 even was a joke. Now go tell me how O'Brien is an AHL franchise player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->