Speculation: Hershey Bears/South Carolina Stingrays 2019-2020 Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
So potentially a big overhaul in Hershey next year....

Gersich (other than Lujo) most disappointing to me so far. Thought we had a player...
Potentially, but not unexpected given how a lot of guys (O'Brien, Lewington, Williams, Hobbs, etc.) have been in the organization for quite a bit of time. Plus, the veteran rule always dictates turnover. Wouldn't be shocked to see Moulson (retire unless he really likes Hershey), O'Brien (Vet), Lewington (Vet), Williams and Hobbs (fresh start) gone at the very least.

I'd only expect 2-4 graduates at the most depending on how the offseason goes for Washington. Guys I'd expect would be Fehervary, one of Vanecek/Copley for the backup job if the Caps don't sign a more experienced vet, one or two of Malenstyn/Pinho/AJF for a bottom six role.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Can you explain the vet rule and how it’s seemingly pushing guys you mention out....I haven’t seen a good explanation how that works....

FWIW I suggested it would be Copley/Sammy next year long ago....I’ll stick with that for now, but Vanny/Sammy looks like a real possibility too now. I’d almost rather give Vanny a year more in Hershey carrying a huge load, simply because we can afford too.

I’d be stunned if Fever wasn’t a Cap full time next year.

I could see 3 graduates (including a Copley promotion).

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Yeah, not sure who is more disappointing between Gersich and Barber. Both guys seemed like diamonds in the rough that we stole in later rounds.

Just goes to show how hard it is to project talent at the highest level. Most of these draft picks are essentially lottery tickets with little chance of turning into anything.
That's a tough one. I think the problem with Gersich is that he was one of the very few forward prospects that was producing at the time and he was overhyped. He also was playing with Tyson Jost and Brock Boeser at North Dakota during his best season and his numbers took a hit after they left for the NHL.

Barber's problem was he couldn't stay healthy and he never really was given a chance in Washington for whatever reason. 3/4 seasons in Hershey he pocketed 20+ goals and had 55 and 60 point seasons over that span. Only given 3 games in the 4 years he was here.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Can you explain the vet rule and how it’s seemingly pushing guys you mention out....I haven’t seen a good explanation how that works....
Each AHL team can only dress 5 veterans (321+ professional regular season games played) and one exempt veteran (261+ professional regular games played) to provide more ice time for younger players to develop. Goalies don't count. Hershey's AHL vets this season are Moulson, Sgarbossa, Lewington, O'Brien and Burgdoerfer. It creates an even playing field for all AHL teams to sign AHL only players when free agency hits.

Found this explanation from an AHL blog:
In the eyes of the AHL, a “development player” is any player that has played less than 260 professional hockey games (including NHL, AHL and European Elite leagues). Additionally, one of the 13 players may be “exempt” and can have played between 260 and 320 professional hockey games. Therefore, each AHL team is only allowed to dress five players with 321 or more professional games played and only one player with between 260 and 320 games played.

This rule prevents teams from filling their lineups with veteran players with more professional experience, and allows the playing field to be leveled; allowing all of the AHL’s member clubs to focus on development first.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have tickets for the final regular season game. Will I get to exchange it for another game's ticket or?
This was the last correspondence that Hershey has put out to anyone. The bottom portion says to hold onto them for now in case the games are still played at later dates.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Quotes from Minnesota's HC. This also furthers the idea that one or both of Williams/Hobbs will be in another organization next season.
“Tyler has worked himself into an opportunity and we’re very happy for him,” Motzko said. “Tyler was cheated out of development years, but he’s a great skater, he’s tough as nails and he became an excellent defender. As he gets older, he will develop more offense, because he can really shoot a puck, but he really developed in his lane. He plays a ton of minutes, and plays against other teams’ top players and does it at a high level.”

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
In the past I've proposed the Capitals have an ECHL affiliate in Baltimore. The AHL is out of the question because the Hershey Bears aren't going anywhere.

Nowadays, a Baltimore ECHL affiliate would be contingent on a new arena being built. Leonsis/Monumental certainly has the money to help finance such an arena. My proposed nickname is the Crabs, in reference to the importance of the blue crab to Maryland's economy.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The Caps all-time team thread gave me the idea of posting my all-time Bears team from when I started watching and following Hershey closely in 2005-2006. Tried to balance it out between amount of games played in Hershey, the impact they had on the team's success and spanning it out between multiple decades.

Alexandre Giroux - Keith Aucoin - Andrew Gordon
Chris Bourque - Kyle Wilson - Riley Barber
Boyd Kane - Travis Boyd - Graham Mink
Quintin Laing - Jay Beagle - Garrett Mitchell
X: Liam O'Brien, Nathan Walker, Eric Fehr (for his ECF game 7 OT winner which is one of the greatest/iconic Hershey goals of all time)

Dean Arsene - Bryan Helmer
Aaron Ness - Tyler Lewington
Karl Alzner - John Carlson
X: Patrick McNeil, Patrick Wellar, Christian Djoos

Michal Neuvirth
Frederic Cassivi
X: Vitek Vanecek (2nd most games played since 05-06)

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
In the past I've proposed the Capitals have an ECHL affiliate in Baltimore. The AHL is out of the question because the Hershey Bears aren't going anywhere.

Nowadays, a Baltimore ECHL affiliate would be contingent on a new arena being built. Leonsis/Monumental certainly has the money to help finance such an arena. My proposed nickname is the Crabs, in reference to the importance of the blue crab to Maryland's economy.
Caps AHL team used to be in Baltimore. The Skipjacks. From 88-93.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad