Speculation: Hershey Bears/South Carolina Stingrays 2019-2020 Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
Nardella back in tonight, good to see. How is this Kale Kessey dude in the lineup over Sutter and Clark?

It was good Kessey was in the lineup tonight as it was a really physical game. He had some big checks and a good fight. He really got into the heads of the Phantoms.

Vanacek with a great game in goal getting the shutout. Alexeyev played on of his better defensive games of the year and continues to show progression in that area. Beck with a solid game, doing all the little things with solid back checking, shot blocking, hustle, and also getting 4 shifts at D tonight including on the PK due to Burgdorfer leaving the game with an injury. Unfortunately for Beck, he took a high hit and left the game late in the third.

Gonna give some kudos to Gersich. While he hasn't found his scoring touch yet, he has worked very hard on other aspects of the game. He's added a little muscle, shows some grit, still has some of the best wheels on the team, plays solid defensively, and is becoming a good penalty killer. Hopefully he can get the offensive side of this game worked out.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Nardella back in tonight, good to see. How is this Kale Kessey dude in the lineup over Sutter and Clark?
Sutter hasn’t been in the lineup for a few games now so not sure if he’s dealing with another injury. Clark played the past two games so they were just rotating in another body in a highly physical game

Jun 15, 2007
Snively scores the game winner in OT and has scored 8 points (6+2) in his last 9 games. The Bears also have won 4 straight games.

Based on his stagnation and injuries and the logjam at D, do you think Johansen becomes a UFA at the end of this season?

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Based on his stagnation and injuries and the logjam at D, do you think Johansen becomes a UFA at the end of this season?
giphy.gif

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
No, because the organization has had an abundance of injuries the past two seasons and have used a lot of defensemen. I’d expect they qualify him and if he doesn’t want to be in the organization anymore maybe they work out a deal to get some sort of compensation instead of letting a 1st rounder walk. I can’t remember the last time the Caps did that besides Gustafson but he was a bust pretty much right away

Reactions: racingmoose and 895

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA
Isn’t Johansen still injured?

Is Gersich injured as well? Didn’t play in either game this weekend. Glad to see Sutter get back in tonight.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
It's good to see that Hershey is on fire with a 6 game win streak of their own to climb up to the #3 spot in the AHL Atlantic.

Reactions: Hivemind

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Saturday Night Lineups and Highlights in Hershey's 5-2 win over Bridgeport:

Sunday Night Lineups and Highlights in Hershey's 3-1 win over Lehigh Valley:

Hershey Bears on Twitter
Hershey Bears on Twitter
Hershey Bears on Twitter

Quick Tidbits from the weekend games:
-VV with two big games. He's clearly the hot hand and deserves the net so Copley sits back to back games.
-AA has been a beast in his own zone and on the PK. Came up with 5-6 huge blocks on the PK Saturday night.
-Fever doesn't look great playing on his off side. Didn't seem quite as effective, especially in the offensive zone while playing RD. I think it's safe to stop that experiment
-Nardella gets his first goal tonight. He had a solid weekend overall and played comfortably at RD all weekend long. I really like his game
-Lots of young guys given prominent roles on both the PP and PK
-AJF with an off game Saturday night, but ends up turning it around Sunday and scores the first goal
-Pinho had a great game Saturday (1+1). Great in the dot, great on the forecheck, solid skater and solid board work. Could definitely be a 4th liner in the NHL at some point
-Injuries include Malenstyn (out till the new year at least), Gersich (Day to Day), LuJo (unknown), Burgdoerfer (might be back next week) and Williams (unknown)
-Pretty sure Hobbs has been a healthy scratch. Can't see him getting into the lineup with how well Nardella has played

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
-VV with two big games. He's clearly the hot hand and deserves the net so Copley sits back to back games.
-AA has been a beast in his own zone and on the PK. Came up with 5-6 huge blocks on the PK Saturday night.
-Fever doesn't look great playing on his off side. Didn't seem quite as effective, especially in the offensive zone while playing RD. I think it's safe to stop that experiment
-Nardella gets his first goal tonight. He had a solid weekend overall and played comfortably at RD all weekend long. I really like his game
-AJF with an off game Saturday night, but ends up turning it around Sunday and scores the first goal
-Pinho had a great game Saturday (1+1). Great in the dot, great on the forecheck, solid skater and solid board work. Could definitely be a 4th liner in the NHL at some point
-Injuries include Malenstyn (out till the new year at least), Gersich (Day to Day), LuJo (unknown), Burgdoerfer (might be back next week) and Williams (unknown)
-Pretty sure Hobbs has been a healthy scratch. Can't see him getting into the lineup with how well Nardella has played

If Fehrevary wants to be in the NHL next season, he will have to move. It will take time, but let's hope he can do it.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Saturday Night Lineups and Highlights in Hershey's 5-2 win over Bridgeport:

Sunday Night Lineups and Highlights in Hershey's 3-1 win over Lehigh Valley:

Hershey Bears on Twitter
Hershey Bears on Twitter
Hershey Bears on Twitter

If Fehrevary wants to be in the NHL next season, he will have to move. It will take time, but let's hope he can do it.

Did the Bears literally just swap Djoos and Fever from left to right for those two games? If those lineups are correct based on RD/LD it looks that way.

Why do we assume Fever can't play LD for the Caps? Siegs is hardly an immovable asset, not like Fever has to beat out Orlov or Kempny here. It's also not 100% guaranteed they dump Gudas.

Reactions: Calicaps

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Did the Bears literally just swap Djoos and Fever from left to right for those two games? If those lineups are correct based on RD/LD it looks that way.

Why do we assume Fever can't play LD for the Caps? Siegs is hardly an immovable asset, not like Fever has to beat out Orlov or Kempny here. It's also not 100% guaranteed they dump Gudas.
Yes, Fever has played RD for the past 4 or so games and Saturday night he just didn't look like a guy who could be a game breaker and wasn't himself. They ended up flip flopping them Sunday night. Djoos should be the one playing his off side IMO since he has the most reps at RD. Plus, Nardella played his off side both nights and didn't look out of place at all.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Our best young scorers are in the CHL and the WHL.
Regardless that looks awful. Leason looked like a world beater last season too and was one of the better players on canadian squad at world juniors and now he looks like a wood. I don't believe the hype until they show up against grown men.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Regardless that looks awful. Leason looked like a world beater last season too and was one of the better players on canadian squad at world juniors and now he looks like a wood. I don't believe the hype until they show up against grown men.

Agree his numbers aren't great but maybe give the kid more than 25 games to transition from the W to playing professional hockey before calling him "a wood." Sounds like the same nonsense we heard last year with people declaring Samsonov a bust because he had a poor start to 2018.

And what do you expect? The Caps have been dominant for over a decade. This is what happens when you're good; your draft picks are lower and you've likely traded a few to try and plug holes with the big club. Still, they have Samsonov, Alexeyev, Fehervary, McMichael, Protas, Leason... not a bad "next gen" nucleus.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The best young scorer on Hershey is Snively with 12 pts in 26 games and the guy is turning 24 on NYE...what the hell?
I really don't know what you're expecting when all of the young forwards project more in a bottom 6 role. Snively had a rough start to the year but has turned the corner so I'd suspect he continues to rack up points. And yes a college UFA is 24 years old.

The scoring has been pretty spread throughout the team and the top 3 scorers (Sgarbossa, Moulson, Djoos) all have been a fixture on the 1st line or the 1st PP unit.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I really don't know what you're expecting when all of the young forwards project more in a bottom 6 role. Snively had a rough start to the year but has turned the corner so I'd suspect he continues to rack up points. And yes a college UFA is 24 years old.

The scoring has been pretty spread throughout the team and the top 3 scorers (Sgarbossa, Moulson, Djoos) all have been a fixture on the 1st line or the 1st PP unit.
That is what I am talking about and that's frustrating because that's the way it has been in Hershey since Vrana graduated from there.
Agree his numbers aren't great but maybe give the kid more than 25 games to transition from the W to playing professional hockey before calling him "a wood." Sounds like the same nonsense we heard last year with people declaring Samsonov a bust because he had a poor start to 2018.

And what do you expect? The Caps have been dominant for over a decade. This is what happens when you're good; your draft picks are lower and you've likely traded a few to try and plug holes with the big club. Still, they have Samsonov, Alexeyev, Fehervary, McMichael, Protas, Leason... not a bad "next gen" nucleus.
I expected at least a couple guys who were taken with those picks to exceed expectations. Pittsburgh is good since forever and they somehow have a pretty young lineup. Guentzel wasn't a 1rd pick either as well as Labanc or Vince Dunn or anyone. At least one unexpected gem. How many years have gone by since they had one? The last one was Holtby 11 years ago.

Last edited:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I really don't know what you want. What do you expect from one of the best teams in the league over the past 5+ seasons? They drafted BPA and most of those picks were defenseman. They have a majority of their past few draft classes playing in Hershey this year and doing well on a night to night basis. They have legit NHL talent on Hershey's roster. You aren't going to get a team full of high end scorers when you pick defenseman in the later stages of the 1st round. Seems like a silly thing to complain about

Reactions: itsjustsurvival

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I really don't know what you want. What do you expect from one of the best teams in the league over the past 5+ seasons? They drafted BPA and most of those picks were defenseman. They have a majority of their past few draft classes playing in Hershey this year and doing well on a night to night basis. They have legit NHL talent on Hershey's roster. You aren't going to get a team full of high end scorers when you pick defenseman in the later stages of the 1st round. Seems like a silly thing to complain about
Johansen is not doing well. Their 2nd-7th rders MF excluded are not doing well. Silly thing is saying that anyone on Hershey's roster aside from AA and Fehervary is a nhl talent. A bunch of career minor leaguers, nothing more.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I wonder how many WHL games you watched to come to that assessment. Also, it's not just about the numbers but opportunity/TOI and tools. Leason will eventually get there but I'm not sure anyone realistically believed he was a fast-track player. He's got too much physical maturation to get through first. He does seem to be coming around, though, and has a good two-way foundation to build upon. Might need more edge but he's got the rest.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Johansen is not doing well. Their 2nd-7th rders MF excluded are not doing well. Silly thing is saying that anyone on Hershey's roster aside from AA and Fehervary is a nhl talent. A bunch of career minor leaguers, nothing more.
Do you actually watch or are you stat watching like another famous poster around these parts?

Johansen is injured. His development has stalled because of major injury time the past two seasons. When he has been on the ice he has been exactly as advertised. A young D man who needs reps to become more consistent enough to be an NHL regular.

You're not giving enough credit to forwards like Beck Malenstyn, Brian Pinho, AJF, Pilon etc. Most of those guys have the talent to eventually help out the Capitals in a bottom six role. They weren't drafted to be top 6 players in the NHL. They have the game to be an effective 4th line player in the NHL.

The two major disappointments in Hershey have been Connor Hobbs and Shane Gersich. Hobbs has always been viewed as a boom or bust type prospect and he's leaning toward being a bust. Shane Gersich's disappointment is due to the overhype he got for having a good season playing with guys like Tyson Jost and Brock Boeser. He has worked on using his speed to mold himself into a bottom 6 type player. He's definitely behind in the development curve.

You specifically called out Leason. What do you expect of a guy that goes from playing against kids to playing against grown men? A guy that still has to grow into his body and fill out his frame. Your expectations clearly are extremely high on him. And before you call out Clark and Sutter may I remind you that they too are rookies to the pro game and both are coming off significant injuries. Both were out since the rookie tournament in September

It's almost as if you troll these threads with the intent of getting everyone riled up on purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->