Hershey (AHL) and South Carolina (ECHL) 2016-17 Season

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
This dude seems like a big, nasty guy too. Granted he's not 6'7'' but he's not small either.

Anyone know what's up w/ him? The article was dated March 2 and says he was joining the Bears on an ATO the rest of the season, but Hockey DB doesn't have any stats listed for him with Hershey and I don't recall hearing about him joining the Bears at all.

If Mann didn't believe the ATO guys could see game action he sent them home after a few weeks so they could start training or finish their degree. He was one of those guys

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Not a great day for Hershey. Peluso may or may not be a Bear next year and he's considered a vet so that isn't great if he gets sent down. They need to assume they are losing one of Boyd/Stephenson and need to add center depth after last year. Jim O'Brien, Carter Camper, Tim Kennedy, Casey Bailey, and TJ Hensick are a few center options. The first three all have familiarity with Mann and the Bears. O'Brien and Bailey would add to the need of getting bigger

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Both players signed are veterans to already add to Bourque, Sill, and Ness. Pretty much means that Mitchell is gone. Rather would have resigned Paul Carey and signed a center. Center is still a glaring need

Sep 19, 2008
A lot of doubts about vrana and attitude but this is what the kid wants isn't it. Now they gonna have to play him more. Go out there and prove the haters wrong son

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Mitchell signs AHL deal with Hershey. That puts Bourque, Sill, Ness, Mitchell, and Albert as definite vets. Could also add in Peluso and DSP depending on how camp shakes out

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hershey signs Parker Milner to an AHL deal. Most likely destined for SC.

Still some intriguing names out there on the FA market. Wayne Simpson is one to look out for. Hershey's RW depth is very weak at the moment.

Hershey's offseason hasn't been great in a division that has gotten better for the 2nd straight year. Losing Carey, Galiev, and even Christian Thomas leaves them in a tough spot. And that's not even addressing their already bad center depth

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hershey signs Parker Milner to an AHL deal. Most likely destined for SC.

Still some intriguing names out there on the FA market. Wayne Simpson is one to look out for. Hershey's RW depth is very weak at the moment.

Hershey's offseason hasn't been great in a division that has gotten better for the 2nd straight year. Losing Carey, Galiev, and even Christian Thomas leaves them in a tough spot. And that's not even addressing their already bad center depth
Called it :laugh:

Casey Bailey is a non vet center that they should target next. Don't know if he would be on NHL or AHL deal but he's probably the best non vet forward available

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Gazely signs a one year AHL deal with the Bears. He hasn't hit vet status yet so a good bottom 6 signing and one of the best penalty killers in the AHL.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Thus far their off-season is just about as puzzling as Washington's. That's their top three goal-scorers from last season you listed and their fourth-leading in Vrana will likely be in the NHL. They brought back their fifth-leading goal-scorer in Chris Bourque but that's an awful lot of goals subtracted with not much raw ability added up front. Simpson should help some but despite the improving trajectory it's not like he has a long track record. They're going to have too many bottom sixers at this rate, particularly if O'Brien and Graovac wind up there. There's still time to ink yet more forwards but there's already a number's game and what seems like a forward group that has a top line and then three third lines.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Thus far their off-season is just about as puzzling as Washington's. That's their top three goal-scorers from last season you listed and their fourth-leading in Vrana will likely be in the NHL. They brought back their fifth-leading goal-scorer in Chris Bourque but that's an awful lot of goals subtracted with not much raw ability added up front. Simpson should help some but despite the improving trajectory it's not like he has a long track record. They're going to have too many bottom sixers at this rate, particularly if O'Brien and Graovac wind up there. There's still time to ink yet more forwards but there's already a number's game and what seems like a forward group that has a top line and then three third lines.

Bourque did have a down year. I would expect somewhat of a turn around but not like his 15-16 MVP season. He's definitely on the regress projection of his career path at this point. I know they wanted to make a comitment to icing a bigger team this year, however that seems to have been a mistake at this point. I would have went after Jason Akeson (almost PPG player in the AHL in his career) instead of resigning Mitchell. They have been giving contracts out to veterans that don't contribute on the scoresheet.

Gone are the days of the marquee AHL signings like Keith Aucoin, Alex Giroux, Graham Mink, etc.
Graovac is probably good enough to be a Top 6 center in the AHL.
His numbers suggest that he is. The top two centers will most likely be two of Graovac, Stephenson, and Boyd

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They have been giving contracts out to veterans that don't contribute on the scoresheet.
Yeah, particularly when Peluso is added in. He's about as one-dimensional as it comes. Others like Gazley and GMitchell are reliable enough but still just mostly checkers. I don't know how they're going to score enough. It's one thing to lean on the young defensemen and build from the net out but they lack skill and balance up front. There's always the chance Vrana bombs and returns to Hershey but I wouldn't plan on it since the Caps sorely need the skill as well. Hershey still seems a forward or two short despite recent returns. (Reading up thread I forgot about that Hansen guy. Still, hard to peg his readiness.)
His numbers suggest that he is. The top two centers will most likely be two of Graovac, Stephenson, and Boyd
I know it's just +/- but it did stand out that Graovac's never been a plus player in any of his AHL seasons. Given his skill set I'd tend to put him on the wing and just have him concentrate on trying to play a simple bigger body winger game. His puck protection isn't a strong suit but neither is his defensive game so...shrug.

I'd guess Stephenson makes the Caps as a depth PKer type (along with Walker) and the other scoring-line center spot after Boyd likely goes to Albert.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Yeah, particularly when Peluso is added in. He's about as one-dimensional as it comes. Others like Gazley and GMitchell are reliable enough but still just mostly checkers. I don't know how they're going to score enough. It's one thing to lean on the young defensemen and build from the net out but they lack skill and balance up front. There's always the chance Vrana bombs and returns to Hershey but I wouldn't plan on it since the Caps sorely need the skill as well. Hershey still seems a forward or two short despite recent returns. (Reading up thread I forgot about that Hansen guy. Still, hard to peg his readiness.)

I know it's just +/- but it did stand out that Graovac's never been a plus player in any of his AHL seasons. Given his skill set I'd tend to put him on the wing and just have him concentrate on trying to play a simple bigger body winger game. His puck protection isn't a strong suit but neither is his defensive game so...shrug.

I'd guess Stephenson makes the Caps as a depth PKer type (along with Walker) and the other scoring-line center spot after Boyd likely goes to Albert.
Albert also plays wing so I wouldn't be surprised if that's where he starts. The only knock on +/- for Graovac is that Iowa has been terrible for years. Hansen is intriguing but wouldn't be surprised if he is a bottom 6 guy. He's huge, so I'm assuming he's slow.

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
The Bears have the potential of a good team. The possible lack of scoring is a concern, but strong skaters in a well coached system can overcome that. Lake Erie was a prime example as they had, I believe, only 1 20 goal scorer when they won the cup. But they had some strong skaters, size, and played a smart game.

The scoring of Carey, Galiev, Vrana, and perhaps Boyd or Walker will be missed. Albert, Gazley (put in an offensive role he has shown he can produce), Simpson, and an improved Barber can help offset those losses. O'Brien will also as he started to show some better hands and passing last year.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The Bears have the potential of a good team. The possible lack of scoring is a concern, but strong skaters in a well coached system can overcome that. Lake Erie was a prime example as they had, I believe, only 1 20 goal scorer when they won the cup. But they had some strong skaters, size, and played a smart game.

The scoring of Carey, Galiev, Vrana, and perhaps Boyd or Walker will be missed. Albert, Gazley (put in an offensive role he has shown he can produce), Simpson, and an improved Barber can help offset those losses. O'Brien will also as he started to show some better hands and passing last year.

Good points. Lake Erie had a phenomenal playoff run though. They were very similar to the first of the back to back Calder Cup teams in that they got help from a stud D (Werenski for them, Carlson for us). Plus their younger guys took a giant leap forward in the playoffs that year.

Here's to hoping our young guns that don't make the Caps have monster years. There's still some time left to sign a few non vet guys

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Are there any guys from Europe on an ELC that could play for Hershey this year? Some people were impressed with Riat at development camp so he's a name I was wondering about. Seems like Elgestal is an afterthought at this point. You would have thought he would be in NA full time by now.

Also, and Juniors forwards eligible to play this year? I'm on mobile right now or I would do some digging.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Riat, maybe Pinho, Pilon, Jonsson-Fjallby and Malenstyn could be options in the spring. Pilon & Malenstyn were already largely bypassed this past spring so no sure thing they'd play if available. Riat likely has the best chance of contributing but we'll see where things are in the spring. Gersich would contribute down the stretch but he may skip Hershey altogether (assuming he signs). Not really a group to block off roster spots for but they should all assume spots in '18-19.

I can come up with a decent enough lineup up front I guess but it depends on guys like Gustafsson and MMitchell being quality depth contributors. I don't think this group skates well enough to draw LE comparisons. That was a very fast yet disciplined and smart team structurally. They should have the structure down but they haven't added much of any speed up front and are definitely less skilled. Not that Galiev and Thomas were tremendously dynamic offensive players but they're still a piece or two short up front (unless te two NCAA FAs are legit but both seem like projects).

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Malenstyn is the guy I'm keeping my eyes on. Doesn't have a huge offensive upside, but he could have NHL potential as a checker. Not really what Hershey needs at this point, but maybe his offense can translate to the AHL?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Malenstyn is the guy I'm keeping my eyes on. Doesn't have a huge offensive upside, but he could have NHL potential as a checker. Not really what Hershey needs at this point, but maybe his offense can translate to the AHL?
I tend to think of him as a bit better Liam O'Brien. We'll see. He's put up better numbers at the same age but he's probably just a fourth-liner unless his production continues to jump. Still, an interesting prospect if only due to style of play and depth potential.

Hershey brings back Hubert Labrie. It's kind of interesting in that it may indeed signal they expect to not have Djoos and someone else (likely Bowey but we'll see). I figure Bindulis will start in the ECHL initially and Williams will perhaps rotate in for Hershey but Labrie coming back gives them a really full slate if the above doesn't happen.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Labrie takes up the last veteran slot. He's considered an exempt vet. I really enjoyed his style of play and I think he's a very good defender. Good guy to have around the young D

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
Labrie takes up the last veteran slot. He's considered an exempt vet. I really enjoyed his style of play and I think he's a very good defender. Good guy to have around the young D

I agree, this was an excellent signing. Very solid and steady d'man.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I tend to think of him as a bit better Liam O'Brien. We'll see. He's put up better numbers at the same age but he's probably just a fourth-liner unless his production continues to jump. Still, an interesting prospect if only due to style of play and depth potential.

I don't disagree. Best case scenario is probably a #9 forward, but more likely he's a 4th liner or extra forward at the NHL level. But he actually has a path to reach the NHL in a real sense, which is why he's intriguing.

He did have some offensive progression this year. While I am very skeptical any of that would ever bear fruit at the NHL level, I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of him being a complimentary scorer in the AHL. Not sure if Hershey is going to have a center capable of bringing that out of him, however.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad