Heroes 3 of Might and Magic

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Anyone remember this game (Especially for Russian fans, as every one of my Russian friends is an expert in this game)?

Defeat_your_opponents_189985.jpg

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Yes I loved that game. I used to play it hotseat style over at a friends house. He was ridiculously good at the game and would always have way more troops that would seem possible. Turned out he had memorized the map and never lost troops as he would game the AI. The later Heroes games never captured the magic of 3.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Awesome game! Still playing it every now and then with friend with Hamachi.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Anyone remember this game (Especially for Russian fans, as every one of my Russian friends is an expert in this game)?

Defeat_your_opponents_189985.jpg

I played this game sooo much. Too bad I don't h ave it anymore. I couldn't care about hyper details and more options. That was a game I wanted to play. So many great units that I just loved. I just never played with the Hydras. Nearly impossible to win with them.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Heroes of M&M were sequels to the original Might & Magic series, right? I played most of the original series but never got into the Heroes. The originals were great.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Heroes of M&M were sequels to the original Might & Magic series, right? I played most of the original series but never got into the Heroes. The originals were great.

They weren't really sequels, more an attempt to take the M&M franchise (which was a first-person RPG) into the budding strategy game genre. I played Heroes of M&M 2 to death, didn't get 3 though. I also played M&M 6, if I recall, which was the RPG's step forward into the 3-D format with real time mob movement, though still a first person view. Was a fairly satisfying game, though.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Yes I loved that game. I used to play it hotseat style over at a friends house. He was ridiculously good at the game and would always have way more troops that would seem possible. Turned out he had memorized the map and never lost troops as he would game the AI. The later Heroes games never captured the magic of 3.

I don't even think my friend Miroslav (Who claims to be a top 20 worldwide H3MM player) can memorize the entire map haha. It truly is a great game, a game that never gets old no matter what. I've played every non-impossible scenario thus far, so I'm playing a lot of new popular maps (Lord of the Rings, Jedi Story, etc.) right now. Miroslav finished the entire Jedi Story in 7 months while I'm almost on my 8th and barely even half way done...

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
More of a Geek Emporium topic isn't it? Anyways I loved it when I played the game 15+ years ago, but when I tried giving the campaign another try a year ago found it to be a bit wonky. Found that each map would come down to the enemy AI building up one really powerful army/hero, and winning or losing the entire map came down to that one battle when you met in the middle. Which could get incredibly frustrating if you didn't play the map perfectly.

I like the more recent Kings Bounty games (Armored Princess, Crossworlds) much better now, which is a single player RPG variant of the format.

I played this game sooo much. Too bad I don't h ave it anymore. I couldn't care about hyper details and more options. That was a game I wanted to play. So many great units that I just loved. I just never played with the Hydras. Nearly impossible to win with them.

You've never heard of GOG.com (Good old Games)? It's actually 60% off right now, $4.59 Cdn (link)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The cool thing about the Might and Magic series, as archaic as it was, is that the sprites of the monsters you saw in first-person were the same as in the Heroes of Might and Magic series - when both games were released at around the same time.

So it was kind of like zooming in on a HOMM game when you played the 4 person party-based game. MM was certainly sprawling and kind of underrated if you can get over the simplistic graphics and combat.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The second game stole my heart first.

3 is definitely better but 2 came first and had a graphical style I enjoy far more.

A shame the franchise hasn't managed to stay relevant. I did enjoy the fifth game a good deal however.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Heroes 3 and 4 are easily the best games in the series and largely succeed at different things. Three is much more creature based (obviously, as your heroes aren't actually on the field), but had major imbalances in the magic system. I find 4's magic and hero system to be far superior, but the ability to only be able to construct 5 creature dwellings per town is pretty disappointing. The ability to change difficulties in campaign mode is a huge plus too, because eventually 3's just gets impossible.

Really which of the two I throw in when I'm in a HoMM mood depends on how I'm feeling that day.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Heroes 3 and 4 are easily the best games in the series and largely succeed at different things. Three is much more creature based (obviously, as your heroes aren't actually on the field), but had major imbalances in the magic system. I find 4's magic and hero system to be far superior, but the ability to only be able to construct 5 creature dwellings per town is pretty disappointing. The ability to change difficulties in campaign mode is a huge plus too, because eventually 3's just gets impossible.

Really which of the two I throw in when I'm in a HoMM mood depends on how I'm feeling that day.

I heard Heroes 4 was relatively criticized compared to the other series. Heroes 3 will always be my favourite, I guess I'm just so used to it and it's nostalgic. Games that allow you to make custom maps are always the best. Since you are a big Heroes 3 fan, just curious which town is your favourite? My favourite is Conflux because I'm a spell user and love the Phoenix. But it's too powerful for competitive play, so personally I'm more of a fan of Tower because again spells, and the fact that Tower faction contains 3 excellent shooters. Titans are my favourite level 7 creatures easily. I like to play Fortress now and then especially if I am in the mood for some defense=offense. Mighty Gorgon especially is my favourite level 5 creature, it's death stare is fantastic early on against powerful opponents.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I heard Heroes 4 was relatively criticized compared to the other series. Heroes 3 will always be my favourite, I guess I'm just so used to it and it's nostalgic. Games that allow you to make custom maps are always the best. Since you are a big Heroes 3 fan, just curious which town is your favourite? My favourite is Conflux because I'm a spell user and love the Phoenix. But it's too powerful for competitive play, so personally I'm more of a fan of Tower because again spells, and the fact that Tower faction contains 3 excellent shooters. Titans are my favourite level 7 creatures easily. I like to play Fortress now and then especially if I am in the mood for some defense=offense. Mighty Gorgon especially is my favourite level 5 creature, it's death stare is fantastic early on against powerful opponents.
I like all of the above ground "good" town types more than the "evil" ones for sure for some reason. I'd probably have to go with castle. They can get their tier 7 creature faster than anyone, and it scales way up when it's upgraded. I like Rampart too, if only for the treasury and double shooting ranged units (even if they are squishy). The Tower's fun too, but I enjoy 4's version of it (Order) more what with the genies who can make a copy of your Titans and then heroes who can teleport the phantom stack (which still takes and recieves damage) onto your opponent's defensive platforms during a siege.

I think a reason 4 wasn't as well received is because it's the first one that really tries something different. 3 just feels like a beefed up version of 2 which just feels like a beefed up version of the original. Having creatures under the player's control being able to move without heroes (though not able to flag anything) and having heroes be able to move around without any creatures changes the dynamic of the game quite a bit. I don't blame anyone for not liking it, but I think they did some things extraordinarily well and is a worthy sequel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad