Here's what the NBA playoffs first round matches would be under my proposed format

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
First, read this post for background info:

UPDATE 11/5 - NBA players approve Dec. 22 start and playing 72-game season

Once you do, here are what would be the first round matchups in each division:

(1 VS 4 followed by 2 VS 3)

Atlantic: Philadelphia VS. Boston (first since 2020). Brooklyn VS. New York (first since 2004)
Central: Milwaukee VS. Minnesota (first ever playoff meeting), Indiana VS. Chicago (first since 2011)
Pacific: Phoenix VS. LA Lakers (first since 2010), LA Clippers VS. Portland (first since 2016)
Southeast: Atlanta VS. Charlotte (first since 1998), Miami VS. Memphis (first ever playoff meeting)
Southwest: Utah VS. San Antonio (first since 2012), Denver VS. Dallas (first since 2009)

Under my format, there would be no play-in tournament. If you finished within the top 4 of your division, no question you should be in the playoffs.

Both of what would be the first-time playoff meetings here are matchups that normally could only be seen in the NBA Finals, because during a normal season, the teams are in separate conferences (though I've proposed a playoff format that allows teams at times to cross over to the other conference for the playoffs).

The Bucks-Timberwolves series would especially be notable, as it would be the first ever NBA playoff series featuring both Milwaukee and the Twin Cities, today connected by I-94. We never got a Hawks-Lakers playoff series in the 50s while those teams were in Milwaukee and Minneapolis respectively, they did not meet in the playoffs until after the Hawks had moved to St. Louis. It would also be the first Minnesota VS. Wisconsin playoff round in a league other than the NFL (two Vikings-Packers playoff games at Lambeau, 1-1 split). As in the NBA, the Twins and Brewers can currently only meet in their sport's final round.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: