Here's to the USA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
First off, hats off to the Americans. They are a great bunch of players, and I fully enjoyed watching them throughout the tournament. I took in all 7 games they played, and they were fun to watch when they weren't self-destructing. My girlfriend and myself were quietly cheering for the Americans in both the Russia semi-final and the bronze medal game. But both Russia and Finland had their game together much better than the Americans.

The USA program is pumping out good talent. Now it is time for them to focus on team and chemistry. This will be a program that will continue to improve and will win its fair share of championships at all levels in the future, much to the dismay of Canadian fans.

Just 1 little comment regarding the booing...in the last 2 US games, I would say there were many more Canadians clapping for Johnson as there were booing. In my section, lets say there are 400 people. Maybe 30-40 were booing. Multiply that by sections, and maybe you got 1,000 fans booing. 1,000 boos overshadow anything else thats going on. Especially when JJ touched the puck. No one was clapping, it was just the 1,000 boos. I just wanted to point that out. With regards to the anti-american cheers, there are probably all sorts of reasons for that, and ah well, thats hockey, thats life.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Pizza said:
Point taken folks. I can see your side of it. Just remember something, next time the tourney is hosted by the USA, if we behave the way Canadian fans did, I guarantee a HUGE freaking deal will be made of it. Especially if we beat Canada or win the gold or both. But if that happens turn about is fair play, eh?

Boo away, Canadian players thrive on it, we're pretty thick skinned, must be all the maple syrup and cold weather....eh ;)
No "HUGE freakin deal" will be made of it, I guarantee that. Worse disrespect has been shown to Canada at sporting events in the US before and the overall reaction here was to laugh. We're quite secure with ourselves when it comes to hockey and really don't need outside support, thank-you very much.

Now, in spite of a "few" disgruntled US fans here at HF, who think Canada should now be nuked.........

Congrats to Team USA's players! They were in the thick of it and should feel proud to have represented their country in a great tournament. There'll be more opportunites and it'll come your way :handclap:

espo*

Have we heard the last of the booing thing? I hope so,it sure was'nt the reason you did'nt take home gold as far as the players on your team were concerned.I'm serious,do you think Jack Johnson does not get booed when he goes to play in Mighigan Sate? This stuff is all hammed up to cloud over the fact the team dissapointed,i've said it before and i'll say it again.If you had romped to the gold medal no-one would be saying a thing.

You had a good team but not the best one.Canada(and you would think this is the last time any chump underestimates a squad from there) was the class of the tournament and had the best team hands down.What can you do? blame it on booing? Cmon.

Good luck next year,it did'nt work out this time and it happens.Really,as fans,you've gotta learn to just get behind your team and not worry about that stuff,it means jack all.Canadian players and fans worried about booing?We have too much of a KILL mentality to be concerned about that silly stuff.We just go out in assassin mode to beat everyone,booing us is old hat and means nothing.Even the Canuck fans on this site played mindgames with posters from other countries and bamboozled everyone.

This was a great win for Canadian hockey and it's fans here.We really voodooed everyone and the satisfaction is great.

Great work Canadian posters,fans,players and coaches.We showed em!!!

espo*

Pizza said:
Point taken folks. I can see your side of it. Just remember something, next time the tourney is hosted by the USA, if we behave the way Canadian fans did, I guarantee a HUGE freaking deal will be made of it. Especially if we beat Canada or win the gold or both. But if that happens turn about is fair play, eh?
i could care less if American fans boo us,go ahead man,i hope you do,we'll play better believe me .We care about gold,we don't give two ***** about your fans love.Who freaking cares man?

Randall Graves*

Rabid Ranger said:
I think the bottomline here is this particular U.S. WJC squad was overrated as a TEAM. Great collection of individual talent, but spotty chemistry and a propensity to choke at the worst times: i.e. the 3rd period. If the U.S. would have had a consistent effort the majority the time, it would have been us and not Russia in the final, I'm convinced of that. At that point-who knows? The U.S. was one of the few teams that actually played Canada close. I applaud the U.S. developmental program, and we have made the semis four straight years, including gold one year, but some things have to change if we're going to be a perennial threat to win it all.
the tie to the swiss lost the tournament, if they win then they are in the drivers seat and all of a sudden the 2/2 game against Canada works to our advantage.

Saint Teemu

Aug 16, 2005
I'm not sure that the 4th-place finish is something USA Hockey and American hockey fans should be happy about. Team USA had a lot of talent and didn't do enough with it. I'm inclined to believe that's a function of coaching (as is the issue of chemistry). I think USA Hockey is well past the point where they should get credit for trying hard. By all accounts, there is plenty of American-born and trained hockey talent - it's time to produce.

Pizza said:
Sadly, I don't think there's enough interest - even among US hockey fans - to make this happen. Heck, if the NHL can't get noticed in the US, how can the Juniors?

Puck33

Aug 7, 2005
Lakewood
Saint Teemu said:
I'm not sure that the 4th-place finish is something USA Hockey and American hockey fans should be happy about. Team USA had a lot of talent and didn't do enough with it. I'm inclined to believe that's a function of coaching (as is the issue of chemistry). I think USA Hockey is well past the point where they should get credit for trying hard. By all accounts, there is plenty of American-born and trained hockey talent - it's time to produce.

Sadly, I don't think there's enough interest - even among US hockey fans - to make this happen. Heck, if the NHL can't get noticed in the US, how can the Juniors?

Your wrong..

Saint Teemu

Aug 16, 2005
Puck33 said:
Your wrong..
I really hope I am.

This isn't a slap at US hockey. I've heard broadcasters mention (and not in complimentary tones) that no one takes this tournament as seriously as Canadians do. Overseas, you often see nearly-empty arenas for this tournament, and last year's attendance in Grand Forks was due in large part to Canadian fans (or do fans in North Dakota tend to yell "Go Jets go!" a lot?).

Next time around, I'd love to see a packed building somewhere in American hockey territory going crazy for Team USA (or even crazy against Team Canada). I just don't believe there are enough fans for it to happen.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
cyclops said:
i could care less if American fans boo us,go ahead man,i hope you do,we'll play better believe me .We care about gold,we don't give two ***** about your fans love.Who freaking cares man?

.....well not you, and that's fine by me. I guess when you get a response like this to a comment about class and respect then my point is all the more clearly made. Hey, it's an international hockey tournament in your country and you guys won. Hell, you dominated. You should be proud. You pretty much invented the game, and it's pretty much the most important thing in your country, right? I say that is all the more reason to show a little bit o class.....man.

As I said before when Canada comes here, I trust that they will be treated better than our boys were treated up there.

yentlmania

Sep 17, 2004
Congrats need to be extended to all the medal winners and the US team, they all played well, Canada played the most consistent game but also got a break from the Swiss. As a Cdn hockey fan, I was very hopeful the last game was going to be against the US squad. The US team was the strongest team that they have iced and after the '2-2' tie, what a finale it would have been, both teams would have been completely pumped for the game. I thought the Russians played well but did not look as hungry , despite taking the play to the Cdns in the first period. A US - Cdn final, that would have been awesome.

Question: did anyone hear how Oshie was , he got crunched pretty bad in the last game? As a Blues fan, I am really pleased with how he played and hope that there is no lingering issues with the hit. Also liked Lemtugov's play for the Russians.

allcar67

Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
Dakota Sioux said:
If they all played as hard as Oshie they would be in the gold medal game.This team lacked heart,plain and simple.

I can give you that this U.S. squad may have lacked team work, chemistry, luck, scheduling, etc. I don't buy the lacking of heart argument. I don't think a team can block as many shots as Team USA did and say it lacked heart. Unless I'm missing something as to what it takes to be so frequently willing to give up your body in those situations, collective heart was definitely not missing.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
mymkovski said:
First off, hats off to the Americans. They are a great bunch of players, and I fully enjoyed watching them throughout the tournament. I took in all 7 games they played, and they were fun to watch when they weren't self-destructing. My girlfriend and myself were quietly cheering for the Americans in both the Russia semi-final and the bronze medal game. But both Russia and Finland had their game together much better than the Americans.

The USA program is pumping out good talent. Now it is time for them to focus on team and chemistry. This will be a program that will continue to improve and will win its fair share of championships at all levels in the future, much to the dismay of Canadian fans.

Just 1 little comment regarding the booing...in the last 2 US games, I would say there were many more Canadians clapping for Johnson as there were booing. In my section, lets say there are 400 people. Maybe 30-40 were booing. Multiply that by sections, and maybe you got 1,000 fans booing. 1,000 boos overshadow anything else thats going on. Especially when JJ touched the puck. No one was clapping, it was just the 1,000 boos. I just wanted to point that out. With regards to the anti-american cheers, there are probably all sorts of reasons for that, and ah well, thats hockey, thats life.

Good post... I too noticed the boos definitely lightened up in the bronze game and I was rooting for him and cheered when he scored. I hadn't seen him play before the tourney but after watching him 5 times he really became one of my favourite players, and it seemed classy too not take a shot (that I heard anyways) at the Canadian fans for booing him and instead saying he thrived on it :clap:

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
RallyKiller said:
the tie to the swiss lost the tournament, if they win then they are in the drivers seat and all of a sudden the 2/2 game against Canada works to our advantage.

I agree completely, if the US had of beaten the Swiss like they definitely should have the 2-2 tie would have given the Americans the bye straight to the semis bypassing both Russia and Canada in the process... and the bye is huge in this tournament.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
allcar67 said:
I can give you that this U.S. squad may have lacked team work, chemistry, luck, scheduling, etc. I don't buy the lacking of heart argument. I don't think a team can block as many shots as Team USA did and say it lacked heart. Unless I'm missing something as to what it takes to be so frequently willing to give up your body in those situations, collective heart was definitely not missing.
There is alot of truth in this, they just did not get enough out of some guys but the shot blocking was exemplary.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
champben2002 said:
Well it was only Johnson that was booed and from what the TSN guys were saying, he has had it much worse in college hockey. Since when are 17-18 yr olds so emotionally weak anyway? They are nearly the same age as soldiers. If booing gets them down than its a darn good thing they are not in the military. They lost because they did not play well as a team.
what are you talking about. They were getting booed all tournament. In the 11-2 thrashing of Norway, the US was constantly booed. It was just never reported until they played head to head against Canada.

penkil2

Dec 5, 2003
MI
Visit site
Last year the same thing happened to the CHL players....they sat, and sat. USA Hockey should pick the best American players no matter where they play.

This posting was on the Moncton site from the Evaluation camp.

Still a bit slow on here, so here' some information that I found regarding Pineault, Bourque and Yandle at the US WJC Camp on Hockey's Future messageboard...

by Spectacular_Bid on August 13
"As far as I can tell from the box scores the leaders for the US were:
Bobby Ryan - 5 points (3 goals, 2 assists)
Kevin Porter - 5 points (2 goals, 3 assists)
Adam Pineault - 5 points (2 goals, 3 assists)
Jordan LaVallee - 5 points (2 goals, 3 assists)
Blake Wheeler - 4 points (3 goals, 1 assist)
Robbie Schremp - 4 points (2 goals, 2 assists)
Chris Bourque - 4 points (2 goals, 2 assists)
Taylor Chorney - 4 points (1 goal, 3 assists)
Other notables:
Phil Kessel - 3 points (1 goal, 2 assists)
Jack Skille - 3 (2 goals, 1 assist)
T.J. Oshie and Jim Fraser were the only fowards at the camp who did not record a point."

by FREE DENTAL CARE on August 15
"DEFENSEMEN:
I thought the defensemen were an especially talented group of skaters. I especially liked Thelen, Lee, Chorney, and Yandle. Of this group, I think Thelen has the best NHL potential (at this time).
FORWARDS:
This was an interesting group of players who all brought there own "specialties" to the camp. I thought the best of the bunch included Pineault, LaVallee, Bourque, and Wheeler. Pineault has a big shot, played with an edge, and worked well with everyone he skated with. He did take some bad penalties, but in doing so, managed to make room for himself. LaVallee was a pleasant surprise given his 4th round dfart selection. He has good size (big body) and is a smooth skater with good first-step quickness. He showed that his hands are good as well. He threw some big body checks, and some big elbows as well, but stayed penalty free. After watching him, I am still surprised he went so late in the draft. Bourque is very small (5'5"?), but strong on his skates and has a good scoring touch. He's not afraid to "ay on the lumber" either. Wheeler is a somewhat rough skater, but shows good agility when he gets going. Scored some nice goals with close in moves.

I came away with the impression that the players with the best NHL potential were Adam Pineault, Jordan LaVallee, and Blake Wheeler. "

and more by the same poster

on August 14
"These three guys were among the best forwards at the camp. Adam Pineault (Moncton) and Jordan LaVallee (Quebec) were tied for the lead in scoring with two other players (5 points) and Chris Bourque (Moncton) had 4 points. A good showing for the "Q" players at the camp. They started out on the same team (USA BLUE) and then Bourque was moved to the USA WHITE team for the last two games. These guys should be joined by other USA-born CHL players including Matt Lashoff (Kitchener), A.J. Thelen (Prinec Albert), Robbie Schremp (London), and Bobby Ryan (Owen Sound) on a strong USA team for the World Juniors."

on August 17
"I felt the Yandle was in the middle third of the defensemen at the U20 camp. He had moments where he looked really good and others where he tried to do too much with the puck or was out of position. As far as making the team is concerned, I have been reluctant to predict who would and would not be selected. There were probably 30-35 of the 42? players who could earn spots on the final team, depending on how the coaches wanted the team to look. There were many talented players at the camp."

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
Saint Teemu said:
I really hope I am.

This isn't a slap at US hockey. I've heard broadcasters mention (and not in complimentary tones) that no one takes this tournament as seriously as Canadians do. Overseas, you often see nearly-empty arenas for this tournament, and last year's attendance in Grand Forks was due in large part to Canadian fans (or do fans in North Dakota tend to yell "Go Jets go!" a lot?).

Next time around, I'd love to see a packed building somewhere in American hockey territory going crazy for Team USA (or even crazy against Team Canada). I just don't believe there are enough fans for it to happen.

I'll be the first to admit no one cares about their hockey like Canadians, but don't take Grand Forks as a view of many parts of the US toward hockey. Grand Forks is in ND and the middle of now where. Of course their will be a ton of Canadians their. It was closer for Canadian fans than many US fans. If you want a good WJC in the US, put it somewhere like Boston, Detroit, Minneapolis, or Denver. And yes that is the difference between the US and Canada. Put it anywhere in Canada and it will be huge. In the US, there are just a few hockey hotbeds.

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
naihlflames said:
I'll be the first to admit no one cares about their hockey like Canadians, but don't take Grand Forks as a view of many parts of the US toward hockey. Grand Forks is in ND and the middle of now where. Of course their will be a ton of Canadians their. It was closer for Canadian fans than many US fans. If you want a good WJC in the US, put it somewhere like Boston, Detroit, Minneapolis, or Denver. And yes that is the difference between the US and Canada. Put it anywhere in Canada and it will be huge. In the US, there are just a few hockey hotbeds.

I don't want to knock US fans, I just would like to point out that in 1997 the Jrs were in Boston and I believe the attendance tanked.

Also a few of the reasons it went to Grand Forks were A) The Sioux fans, who appear to be rabid hockey fans with their continual sellouts; B) The Arena, which is truly a hockey marvel; and C) Proximity to a major Canadian hot bed

The Grand Forks World Jrs were the first financially successful World Jrs outside of Canada due in large part because Canadians treked down south.

KStewart113

Jun 21, 2005
Always been backing team USA, really to bad these guys couldn't get bronze at least. Erik Johnson played awsome...he could even go 2nd.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
naihlflames said:

I'd like to see it in NYC at MSG. Promo the hell out of it and the fans would show. Especially if there were Ranger prospects playing. Guess they could just send the Rangers on a long road trip. I agree that Boston, Detroit, Minneapolis or Denver would do very well also.

bennypeyton

Jul 29, 2005
www.ak907clothing.com
I'm from the US, and if I see one more post about how these are "17 and 18 year olds you're booing" I might throw up in my mouth. For Christ's sake, every player on Team USA has been booed in Juniors and College. The majority of these guys haven't eaten mom's cooking during their season since they were 16. I wasn't a big fan of the "USA sucks" chant, but I don't think our guys are going to be seeking councelling.

Funny story. When I coached a bantam team in '96 we went to Burnaby I believe for a Xmas tourney - terrible snow storm that I'm sure those of you in BC remember. Anyways, my top centerman comes back to the bench pissed because the linesman kept messing him up on the draw. Can't remember if he was dropping it early, kicking him out, simply can't remember. Anyways, since he was my Captain, I sent him back out to talk to the head ref. My Captain came back to the bench cracking up. I asked what happened and he said the head ref replied, "deal with it, this isn't the World Cup kid".

If 14 and 15 year olds can get a laugh out of partisan things like that I would hope our U 20's did also.

Camshaft77

Jan 3, 2005
Ontario
Team USA had the talent to win but many factors, just did not go their way and thats the beauty of hockey, it is played on the ice for 60mins, not on a video game or by comparing sheets of paper with names on them. The blame for the USA downfall in the tournament should be felt all the way through USA hockey and they should really look at how they pick their team and coaches. I understand they do have a summer evalutation camp, but why not just like Canada does invite your top 32 guys and have a week long tryout in December, this would help with issues of chemistry and to help install what the coach has for a game plan and his expectations of each player. I believe if that would have happen, you would have seen things done alot differently and they would have been a more cohesive unit, instead of being a bunch of individuals looking for the betterment of their carreer, instead of the goals of USA hockey, this of course does not apply to all the players but definetly enough to impact the results the team put forth.
With that said i believe the US will be very competitive and most likely will start getting medals on a more consistent basis though their nationa development programs.
As for the issue of the tournament being placed in strategic places in the country to succeed, thats obvious, but take into account 1996 in Boston the attendance was poor and it was during a major college tourny. I believe Minneapolis, would be a great location in a dual bid with say Madison or a combine of Detroit and Buffalo thus using two hockey markets very close to major population centers in southern Ontario.
any ways best of luck to USA hockey in future tournaments, but GO CANADA GO

ish

Jan 3, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
Congrats to the USA? Congrats !? For what? A super , top notch choke job that began with the Swiss game and ended with a loss to a fully inferior Finnish team that none the less take pride in their national team and playing hard. There is no way in hell to sugar coat a pathetic effort from a program that puts one heaping pile of money in to be amongst the worlds best. Pitiful.

Couldn't agree more. We really blew it this year. Poor coaching. Poor chemistry. Poor execution. Poor effort. Poor everything. I'm not about to sugar coat it. The only thing I can say is hopefully the returnees next year take something from this and do something about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->