Here's the whole NHL proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
One thing that appears clear to me, and is quite probably the worst possible news, is that the carrot that will lead the NHLPA to cave to the NHL's revenue-linking system is lowered unrestricted free agency. I bet we'll see it as low as 27.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If the NHL really wanted to garner some serious PR, they should have capped the rollback at the same 24% (IE scrap the 30 & 35% categories) and implemented the reduced rollbacks for the lower paid brackets. This may have helped them in their quest to get the players to agree to a 38 million $$$ figure.... if necessary, they could even red-circle 10% of a player currently under contract for over 4 mill per & say that portion of a contract doesn't count against whoever team he's on's cap for the balance of his deal ... ie -> 10% of the remainder of Yashin's rolled back amount will be over added to his teams 38 mill cap for the balance of his contract....

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
JohnGalt said:
The NHL isn't gonna blink this time. They held their ground and gave the low end players reason to make noise by raising the minimum salary and not cutting their salaries at all.

The NHLPA will have to make major concessions if we are to see hockey this year. If not, we'll be sitting here talking about it again this time next year I expect.

Both sides need to make concessions for an agreement.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
The Flyers decided that LeClair was worth $9 million a year, and they thought he was worht it and that's all that matters. LeClair has 3 years and $27 million left on his deal, so he would forfeit $9 million+
I doubt it as he will be bought out and probably for less than 2/3rds of his remaining salary.

jacketracket*

Jack Black said:
Good deal, stirs the pot.
Good point. Kind of a 'divide and conquer' thing --- pit the rich vets against the younger guys, and the grinders.

A Good Flying Bird*

Question:
Why does the league even care about issues such as arbitration, entry level contracts, UFA and RFA age if it wants a salary cap.
IMO, if they get a salary cap, there should be no limits on anything.
A great player should be able to demand $5M a year in his first contract. If the GM and player can't agree, that player should become a free agent right away.

There is no need for restricted free agency if there's a cap.
All players without contract should become unrestricted, right?

For that matter, the league should end the practice of the entry draft. And all players should be completely free all the time, until they have agreed to a contrct.

If the NHL gets a cap to protect itself from its own ineptitude, it won't need all these silly things anymore.

A Good Flying Bird*

Hockeyfan02 said:
Both sides need to make concessions for an agreement.

Let's be honest, if the owners get the cap, there are ZERO concessions of any substance they can make.
If they get the cap, EVERYTHING else is gravy.

The players have already shown the willingness to make concessions. The owners will not.

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
John Flyers Fan said:
The Flyers decided that LeClair was worth $9 million a year, and they thought he was worht it and that's all that matters. LeClair has 3 years and $27 million left on his deal, so he would forfeit $9 million+

I have a better idea. The Flyers will buy him out regardless and he'll forfeit $9 million at the minimum.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
John Flyers Fan said:
Yes, so John LeClair forfiets $9.45 million that he earned .... and the little guy gives up nothing. I'm sorry but I find that incredibly unfair.

Why? Leclair has made out like a bandit because of this past CBA. He can't afford to take a hit? The guys making less then a million are either borderline guys who won't be long in the league or rookies just coming up neither group of which has seen the benefits that a guy like Leclair has.

If anyone should take the hit on salary it is the guys who have been making all the money during the current CBA

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Protoman said:
because a player making 10 million gets bumped down to 7.6 million still makes more then enough money.

I ask this with the complete understanding and acknowledgement that the NHL needs to get its fiscal house in order:

Who the heck are you, me or anyone else to play judge, jury and God with regard to determining how much money is "enough" for another individual?!?!?!? :dunno:

Some fans seemingly believe they have a say on someone else's livlihood, by virtue of holding a ticket stub and a subscription to DirecTV. :shakehead

If owners and the Union agree to terms which "cap" earning power, so be it. Not us (fans).

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Newsguyone said:
Question:
Why does the league even care about issues such as arbitration, entry level contracts, UFA and RFA age if it wants a salary cap.
A great player should be able to demand $5M a year in his first contract. If the GM and player can't agree, that player should become a free agent right away.

For that matter, the league should end the practice of the entry draft. And all players should be completely free all the time, until they have agreed to a contrct.

If the NHL gets a cap to protect itself from its own ineptitude, it won't need all these silly things anymore.

If that's the case then Crosby goes to Montreal even if they were winning like it was the 70's.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
Newsguyone said:
Question:

Because the league isn't interested in a salary cap. They are interested in the preservation of a healthy game and a salary cap (in their opinion) is the way to obtain that healthy game. As well, part of a healthy game isn't to have UFA at 24 or no entry system.. that destroys the game. And the league is about upholding the game.

On the other hand, the PA is interested in how much money for the players. And whether the players are happy millionares.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
Newsguyone said:
The players have already shown the willingness to make concessions. The owners will not.

If the players had shown any true concessions, then we would be watching hockey today.

Neither side has made true concessions... both are still arguing for either cost certainty or a weak luxory tax situation that wont change the current system.

The pitiful 24% rollback will be gained in entirety if not more within 2-3 years. Thats not a concession. Its a bribe.

A Good Flying Bird*

Protoman said:
If that's the case then Crosby goes to Montreal even if they were winning like it was the 70's.

Right? If Montreal was winning like they did in the 70s and managed to have room to pay Crosby whatever he demanded (superunlikely), well, why not?
They're not going to be hurting anyone else, are they? Those other teams have their costs mapped out for them. They've got just as much a chance as anyone else to sign Crosby, or anyone else they want.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Trottier said:
I ask this with the complete understanding and acknowledgement that the NHL needs to get its fiscal house in order:

Who the heck are you, me or anyone else to play judge, jury and God with regard to determining how much money is "enough" for another individual?!?!?!? :dunno:

Some fans seemingly believe they have a say on someone else's livlihood, by virtue of holding a ticket stub and a subscription to DirecTV. :shakehead

If owners and the Union agree to terms which "cap" earning power, so be it. Not us (fans).

Because I am God ;)

Seriosuly I say that because as far as I'm concerned making millions upon millions of dollars to play a damn game for 82 games is a pretty ****ing sweet life.

so boo-hoo if instead of 10 million they make 7, cry me a river, When I buy tickets to go to the games I'm paying their salary, they arn't getting paid a whole lot by any TV deal last I checked so when I buy a jersey, or a ticket, or other merchandise I'm paying those players indirectly.

Also are you saying that 7+ million dolalrs ISN'T ENOUGH!?

What the hell? I mean I'm never going to make 7 million dollars a year and I can live a damn good life compared to others in the world, man regular people hit the jackpot in the lottery for 7 million and retire. why?

Because IMO and I'm sure I'm probably not alone on this

7 million dollars is more then enough.

A Good Flying Bird*

chriss_co said:
If the players had shown any true concessions, then we would be watching hockey today.

Neither side has made true concessions... both are still arguing for either cost certainty or a weak luxory tax situation that wont change the current system.

The pitiful 24% rollback will be gained in entirety if not more within 2-3 years. Thats not a concession. Its a bribe.

Look. Try and look at this objectively.
Coming into negotiations, we all knew the owners would be seeking concessions.
And the players have given some.

Nobody expected the owners to give concessions.
And they haven't.

What is mindblowing is that they just retooled the players' big concession, and then added a salary cap.

They are actually demanding more now than they ever have.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
Protoman said:
Because I am God ;)

Seriosuly I say that because as far as I'm concerned making millions upon millions of dollars to play a damn game for 82 games is a pretty ****ing sweet life.

so boo-hoo if instead of 10 million they make 7, cry me a river, When I buy tickets to go to the games I'm paying their salary, they arn't getting paid a whole lot by any TV deal last I checked so when I buy a jersey, or a ticket, or other merchandise I'm paying those players indirectly.

Also are you saying that 7+ million dolalrs ISN'T ENOUGH!?

What the hell? I mean I'm never going to make 7 million dollars a year and I can live a damn good life compared to others in the world, man regular people hit the jackpot in the lottery for 7 million and retire. why?

Because IMO and I'm sure I'm probably not alone on this

7 million dollars is more then enough.

Heck, 1 million is enough

Lexicon Devil

Apr 21, 2002
Here's a summary, judge for yourself. I've tried not to be biased, even though it's well known where I stand on this:

1. Rollback
- We proposal the same absolute rollback as the NHLPA, except it should be graduated, so that lower-income players suffer no rollback while the highest-income players give back 35%

2. Critique of Player's Offer
- The NHLPA hasn't addressed the system issues. Salaries and losses would be back to current levels in 3 years

3. Payroll taxes
- Payroll taxes are useless
- Even if payroll taxes were useful (which they're not), your proposed tax is very weak

4. Qualifying offers
- Qualifying offers should be far lower than both the previous CBA and what the NHLPA proposed

5. Salary Arbitration
- Eliminate it

6. Entry Level System
- Good start, but we want it to be 4-years with all salary bonuses eliminated

7. Cost Certainty
- Players should receive 54% of all Hockey-Related Revenues, up from our previous offer of 53.2%
- Each Club would be obligated to spend no less than 51% and no more than 57% of its 1/30th share of the League's Hockey-Related Revenues on Player Compensation
- An agreed upon appropriate percentage of each Club's Player payroll will automatically be escrowed to ensure compliance with the 54% allocation.
- An Independent auditor jointly selected by the NHL will divide the escrowed funds at the end of the year

8. Revenue Sharing
- We plan on sharing revenues, but won't specify how right now as it has nothing to do with you

9. Free Agency
- Reduction of UFA age from 31 to 30

10. Minimum Salary
- We'll one-up your increase to $250,000 and increase it to $300,000

11. Median Salary
- Under our proposal, the median salary will not be reduced, only the mean

12. Guarantee Contracts
- We want to make it clear that we haven't proposed eliminating guaranteed contracts

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Watching the PA press conference.

Just a little observation; Goodenow repeatadly calls the lockout "Garys' lockout".

A Good Flying Bird*

jcab2000 said:
Putting the age for unrestricted free agency on the table by the owners is a very significant move.

Please explain how?

If you're a free agent at 18 years old or 35 years old, it matters very little. The salary cap will prevent free agents from cashing in.
Because everything that 27 year old Free agent gets will come from someone other player's pocket.

There is nothing significant about it.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
Newsguyone said:
Look. Try and look at this objectively.
Coming into negotiations, we all knew the owners would be seeking concessions.
And the players have given some.

Nobody expected the owners to give concessions.
And they haven't.

What is mindblowing is that they just retooled the players' big concession, and then added a salary cap.

They are actually demanding more now than they ever have.

OK.. then in a way when they retooled the player's "big" concession, the owners have conceded...

because they are helping out the 730 smaller salary players by saying the 24% is TOO much to take away

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Newsguyone said:
Please explain how?

If you're a free agent at 18 years old or 35 years old, it matters very little. The salary cap will prevent free agents from cashing in.
Because everything that 27 year old Free agent gets will come from someone other player's pocket.

There is nothing significant about it.

Lowering the age for UFAs is something the players would greatly benefit from. Putting it out there (even if they are only lowering it by a year in this offer) shows that it is a negotiable item.

I expect this is the biggest single item the owners can offer the players to get what they wanted in cost certainty. The players will counter with a lower age. If they agree to cost certainty, they will walk away with a lower UFA age.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
s7ark said:
Why? Leclair has made out like a bandit because of this past CBA. He can't afford to take a hit? The guys making less then a million are either borderline guys who won't be long in the league or rookies just coming up neither group of which has seen the benefits that a guy like Leclair has.

If anyone should take the hit on salary it is the guys who have been making all the money during the current CBA

LeClair was already going to give up $6+ million as part of the NHLPA proposal, and Bettman wants him to give up an extra $3+ million so that the little guy will feel better.

I'm sorry, but it's BS IMO. LeClair didn't try and re-negotiate his deal when he was vastly underpaid, while he was the NHL's best goal scorer during the mid-90's. he earned that contract just as much as anyone else in the NHL.

I'm not a LeClair lover, and chances are he'll be bought out anyway, just using him as an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->