Here's Some Info on Brad Marchand, looking for more opinions

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I'm copying this from a post I made on the Leafs board, if it looks familiar: :)

Brad Marchand: 5'9" 183

Reg season
68-29-37-66 + 40 83 pim

Playoffs
20 5-14-19 +11 34 pim

He has been having a good Memorial Cup, looking very dangerous, playing with lots of jump, not timid at all, drives the net, skates well, and has some great offensive moves. Anyone else see these games or have an opinion. I like him more every time I see him. He plays again on Friday evening (May 26) in the semi-final.

An interesting fact about Marchand: he led Team Atlantic in scoring (5-6-11 in 6 games) at the 2005 WU17 Hockey Challenge. They won a bronze medal. Second in team scoring was none other than James Sheppard.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/9/6/9/9/index1.shtml

Can anyone who has seen him live give me an opinion on his skills and his potential? Anything is appreciated, thanks.

Barnabyboy

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Hey, i have seen Marchand play numerous times and i think he is starting to reach his potential, people say he is gonna be a 150 point man in the Q next year. He is also going to Val Dor next year as part of the Luc Bourdon trade. He does have good moves, i heard he was projected to go in the second round this year, but i wouldnt be surprised to see him sneak into the first round, especially the way he's playing in the memorial cup.

He does have great hands and can pull off some wow moves, but he is small and disapears some games, where he's even a non-factor. i think when he gets stronger and faster he could be a great player. He is a bit cocky though, and getting a reputation for it, he's known to showboat and taunt other teams

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
I really liked Marchand all year, and was really impressed with his u18 performance, all things considered he's got great skill.

I along with others have ranked him at the same even level of Bryan Little, though that may be a bit of a stretch, this guy has the same abilities to shoot and skate. I really like his skill set. I could see, especially after his memorial cup, him slipping into the later end of the first round or early-mid second round.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Fedz said:
I really liked Marchand all year, and was really impressed with his u18 performance, all things considered he's got great skill.

I along with others have ranked him at the same even level of Bryan Little, though that may be a bit of a stretch, this guy has the same abilities to shoot and skate. I really like his skill set. I could see, especially after his memorial cup, him slipping into the later end of the first round or early-mid second round.
1st round? are you nuts?

3rd rd pick at best.

He is still 5'08 175...just because the NHL has changed rules doesnt mean guys that small are going round 1.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
LaLaLaprise said:
He is still 5'08 175...just because the NHL has changed rules doesnt mean guys that small are going round 1.

That's right, but his chances of being looked over in all 7 rounds are now very slim in comparision to what they were with the old drafting philosophy.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Kyle Chipchura said:
That's right, but his chances of being looked over in all 7 rounds are now very slim in comparision to what they were with the old drafting philosophy.

No doubt, we agree on that.

Similar to the Claude Giroux bandwagoners...there is no way that kid goes round 1 let alone Brad Marchand.

Both of these kids will make good 2nd/3rd round picks.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Little's a good 2 inches taller, and is very much more solid. He also has a better array of shooting skills. Scouting isn't an exact science, but theres a reason Little is like 70 spots ahead of Marchand.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I have never thought Marchand was much of an NHL prospect. He will likely be a great junior player next season, but he has a tendency to overhandle the puck and try to make far too many cute moves in close spaces. He is very small (you couldn't make him 5'9 if you put him on a stretching rack for a month) and is a very uni-dimensional player. He will put up huge stats next season, but I can't see him being successful at the NHL level.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Matt MacInnis said:
I have never thought Marchand was much of an NHL prospect. He will likely be a great junior player next season, but he has a tendency to overhandle the puck and try to make far too many cute moves in close spaces. He is very small (you couldn't make him 5'9 if you put him on a stretching rack for a month) and is a very uni-dimensional player. He will put up huge stats next season, but I can't see him being successful at the NHL level.
CSS says they measured him themselves, and they list him as 5'9". FWIW.

In what sense do you see him as one-dimensional?

I continue to be interested him as a prospect, although I realise that I am only going on a few games. I've always had the conviction that little guys could play in the league, even before the recent changes. And, at least at the Mem Cup, Marchand has not been afraid of going to the net and seem confortable with traffic.

I agree with others who say the first round is a stretch, though I wouldn't be shocked to see him go in the second.

Can anyone tell me anything about his skating?

Marco Corleone

Sep 6, 2004
timlap said:
CSS says they measured him themselves, and they list him as 5'9". FWIW.

In what sense do you see him as one-dimensional?

I continue to be interested him as a prospect, although I realise that I am only going on a few games. I've always had the conviction that little guys could play in the league, even before the recent changes. And, at least at the Mem Cup, Marchand has not been afraid of going to the net and seem confortable with traffic.

I agree with others who say the first round is a stretch, though I wouldn't be shocked to see him go in the second.

Can anyone tell me anything about his skating?

Marchand has some good speed, and doesn't mind going into the corners...

He's just so small.

May get taken 3rd- 4th rd.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Thanks for all the replies so far, guys. :)

Here's a further question. Can anyone tell me how he compares to other little guys in this draft- John Hughes and Ryan McDonough for example?

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
I'm 6' and when I interviewed Marchand earlier this week, he was up to my nose. I can't accurately tell you how low my nose is on my head, but I'm going to guess 4 inches or so.
For what it's worth, the Wildcats Media Guide lists him as being 5'8".

also FYI, I'm working on an article about Moncton's four draft eligible players (Marchand, Samson, Chabot and Marquardt) among many other Mem. Cup coverage articles and hope to release it soon. So keep an eye out for that.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Kevin Forbes said:
. . .
also FYI, I'm working on an article about Moncton's four draft eligible players (Marchand, Samson, Chabot and Marquardt) among many other Mem. Cup coverage articles and hope to release it soon. So keep an eye out for that.
I'll definitely watch for those articles. :)

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
He's definitely one that's always caught my eye when I watched Moncton games (for Yandle). I think he plays bigger than he is - had no idea he was that small.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->