Here's a twist, AO sets up Malkin for game winning goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
EroCaps said:
The goal was all Ovy...

I couldn't possibly be more impressed with Malkin though. Malkin>Crosby.
The goal, yes, but time after time making those amazing passes, making (or should we say Malking? ;) ) room, splitting defensemen, working hard and backing down to give him room, great vision.. Mark my words... Malkin will be the best player in the world in around 10 years... if not earlier.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Darth Oz said:
From the one time I've seen Malkin (WJC game, probably against US) he looks very much like Sergei Fedorov to me in most aspects of the game.

He reminds me of Mario. Everything but his shot and proclivity for french fries. ;)

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
He reminds of Sergei Fedorov a lot, but at the same time he's more offensive minded, like Lemieux.

In today's game Ovechkin and Malkin were incredible!!! These boys are a real deal!!!

GodZillaAteMyZamboni

Jan 18, 2003
Visit site
I must admit the more I see Malkin, the more I think he'll be a great player in the NHL. That said, he isn't anywhere near the skater Fedorov is and doesn't display the same ferocious defensive ability that Fedorov showed either. At this point, he's not even close, but few are. He's much more like Lemieux in style, but his strength and power can't touch Mario at the same age. He's got mad potential, but I don't think he'll ever be in the same class as Lemieux or Fedorov.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I think the gap between Ovechkin and Malkin is very close at the moment. Malkin played great in the RSL this season. This guys has so much potential it's scary. He could lead the league in scoring that's for sure. He realy impressed me at the WJC
and I think he showed all the hockey world that he could be better then Ovechkin.

X-SHARKIE

I'm on the Malkin wagon officially, I laughed when friends said He's up their with Ovechkin, and laughed at the hockey news draft guide for even saying he is 1A and Ovechkin is 1B. But i'm coming around, Malkins upside is undeniable and truley an elite talent.

Well :dunno: I still think Ovechkin is the better player and more complete, but Malkin absolutely won me over at the WJC's. To go along with an excellent year in the best league this season is quite the accomplishment. Good for the Pens. All I know is, I love the way these two Russians can play and I'm on the bandwagon with full support.

1. Ovechkin
2. Malkin
3. Crosby

;) :sarcasm: :dunno:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
X-SHARKIE said:
I'm on the Malkin wagon officially, I laughed when friends said He's up their with Ovechkin, and laughed at the hockey news draft guide for even saying he is 1A and Ovechkin is 1B. But i'm coming around, Malkins upside is undeniable and truley an elite talent.

Well :dunno: I still think Ovechkin is the better player and more complete, but Malkin absolutely won me over at the WJC's. To go along with an excellent year in the best league this season is quite the accomplishment. Good for the Pens. All I know is, I love the way these two Russians can play and I'm on the bandwagon with full support.

1. Ovechkin
2. Malkin
3. Crosby

;) :sarcasm: :dunno:

I can give you Ovechkin is a better stickhandler, and probably a better skater, and has a better wrister... But no way he comes close to Malkin in defensive game, physical play, vision, hockey sense and creativity...

SwOOsh*

mattihp said:
I can give you Ovechkin is a better stickhandler, and probably a better skater, and has a better wrister... But no way he comes close to Malkin in defensive game, physical play, vision, hockey sense and creativity...

I think AO definetly compares and IMO is better in those two aspects.

Last edited by a moderator:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
SwOOsh said:
I think AO definetly compares and IMO is better in those two aspects.
Hasn't looked like it on the national team, but that might have it's explanation... Ovy might suffer from the god-complex on the national team to really show his offensive skills, while Malkin might be wanting to be as useful to the team as possible.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think Malkin is better defensively than Ovechkin, personally.

Not by much, but as a centerman, he holds more responsibility.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Jacobv2 said:

I'd agree. In russia's huge win by sweden, Malkin and Semin seemed to be the only forwards entering their own zone...

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
mattihp said:
I'd agree. In russia's huge win by sweden, Malkin and Semin seemed to be the only forwards entering their own zone...
You forget Poland :D Viktor Kozlov was very good. Game Tying Goal +2A and very solid defensive play.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Kaizer said:
You forget Poland :D Viktor Kozlov was very good. Game Tying Goal +2A and very solid defensive play.
He looked mostly confused in his own zone, he was there, but his movement was highly suspect ;)

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
mattihp said:
He looked mostly confused in his own zone, he was there, but his movement was highly suspect ;)
Did they show game from different cameras in Sweden and Russia ? :D I assume that we are talking about different players ;)

Ok, This thread about other players ;)

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:

Compareing the defensive game oth O and M in the two games against Sweden, I'd have to say that the difference was clearly noteable. Malkin was much more involved in the defensive game and looked like he knew what to do in his own zone. Even more so in the 2nd game where he was clearly the better one of the two.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Ville Isopää said:
Compareing the defensive game oth O and M in the two games against Sweden, I'd have to say that the difference was clearly noteable. Malkin was much more involved in the defensive game and looked like he knew what to do in his own zone. Even more so in the 2nd game where he was clearly the better one of the two.
That is my opinion too.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
mattihp said:

You're going way overboard here. Malkin may have the better defensive game and vision, but Malkin is a C. A set-up guy and a pivot. It's his job to drop back into the defensive zone more often than not and develop his passing and offensive awareness. Ovechkin a scoring wing- with excellent passing ability and creativity. It's just not his MO.

IMO the "gap" was never a "gap" so much as it was a matter of preference. Both players will be elite in their own right.

If I had to choose- Ovechkin. IMO he has comparible playmaking ability to Malkin but notably more gamebreaking ability. If Ovechkin was one-dimensional and wasn't a leader, I'd lean Malkin.

I can't see how most rate Malkin lower than Crosby as a projected "NHL" center though. I haven't seen a better C prospect in years. Crosby may be set up for an underwhelming rookie year in the shadow of the Russians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad