Here's a twist, AO sets up Malkin for game winning goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Malkin boosts Russia

By STEPHAN NASSTROM

STOCKHOLM (AP) - Evgeny Malkin scored midway through the third period to give Russia a 2-1 win over Sweden in Game 1 of the European Hockey Tour final Friday.

Sweden, which won its only Euro Hockey Tour title in 1998-99, needs to win the return leg in regulation on Sunday in Moscow to force an overtime period. Russia has never won the title. Alexander Ovechkin, the top NHL draft pick last year by the Washington Capitals, set up Malkin just in front of the goal at 10:49.
It was the first goal for Russia by Malkin, an 18-year-old centre who was picked second in the 2004 NHL draft by the Pittsburgh Penguins.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=122511

PS: From one at the game who posted on the Pen's board, Malkin was named the number one star of the game. He seems to have really come along since the 2003-4 draft.

gretzky99

Malkin is just lucky to have a linemate like Fedor Fedorov......

(Fedor is his linemate right?)

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
gretzky99 said:
Malkin is just lucky to have a linemate like Fedor Fedorov......

(Fedor is his linemate right?)

There is no rational explanation (apart from being Sergei's brother) to why he is on the roster.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Zine said:
There is no rational explanation (apart from being Sergei's brother) to why he is on the roster.

he probably hooked malkin and ovechkin up with some of his rock groupies

RoyIsALegend*

Awesome, one-handed pass by Alexander Oveckin to set-up the goal. He displayed great strength to beat the defenseman wide, off-balanced and made a one-handed pass in front of the net for an easy Evgeni Malkin goal.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Jacobv2 said:
He has no bones. He's a crustacean.
Plus I think I read somewhere that he pulled his groin and it stunk really bad. I think that was from an article roughly translated from russian to english, but it makes you think.....
By the way, I was going to try eating some crab one time even though I don't really like seafood, but they smelled awful so I never even tasted it.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Ovechkin and Malkin are both stellar prospects... they will be already be able to produce a lot at there first NHL season.. at least its my feeling.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Crusher20 said:
Ovechkin and Malkin are both stellar prospects... they will be already be able to produce a lot at there first NHL season.. at least its my feeling.

I share that feeling ... they played so well against Sweden this week, and not against some juniors, but against Sweden's World Championship team!!!

:clap:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Crusher20 said:
Personally I think Ovechkin's transition will be much quicker. I think Malkin might 'ease' his way into being a star sort of the way Marleau or Lecavalier have.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Jacobv2 said:
Personally I think Ovechkin's transition will be much quicker. I think Malkin might 'ease' his way into being a star sort of the way Marleau or Lecavalier have.

Oh no, I totally disagree. Watching him play this season made it clear that he was ready, and when I say he's ready, I mean that he "IS" ready. :snide: He's just as good as Ovechkin, maybe he's got less explosiveness, but his passing is fantastic, and his speed ... just WOW. I hope they will show all of it in Austria as soon as next Saturday! :D

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think his need for more strength will hold him back, at least initially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad