GDT: Here we go! Series #2 - Game #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
And last year he had the primary assist on a GWG in overtime.
Lol assist. What Matt Duchene did with Panarin 5-1 goal in G2 is an assist. He shoot the puck Holtby had akward rebound and Calvert turned into Messi to score that goal. But before that OT Werenski took delay of the game penalty that allowed Caps to tie that game on PP.

But what bothered me is what he said after that, He didn't feel bad about that goal in 3OT, he felt bad he couldn't score. Last thing this guy is thinking is defence.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

We got outplayed from the start. We had some moments in both the second and third where we played with them and were able to do something in their zone, but by and large we were completely outplayed, outclassed, and out coached in game 1. Overtime wasn't even a contest, and after the Dubois goal (and extreme bit of luck) we just sat back and did nothing. It felt like game 4 against Tampa where we just hoped to hold on. They didn't.

I'd say it was rust but it's not rust when you get crushed in the manner that we were. It wasn't pucks bouncing off our sticks, missing passes, or just general sloppy mistakes. It was just complete dissection of our forecheck and nullifying our attack with ease. That's not rust. Boston played their game and we chased for most of it. Even with that, the game was right there for the taking due to Bobrovsky standing on his head and they blew it. Jones and Dubois sleepwalking on the tying goal and then Werenski on the GWG. A near complete no show.

Going to need to take game 2 or we're going to be in high probability of a sweep. Tonight was a spanking everywhere but the scoreboard.

Reactions: CBJ VGK and EspenK

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Defense was a tick slow both in coverage and in getting the puck up and out. Offense was a half step slow in gaining and getting set up. Remains to be seen if those were Jackets things or Bruins things.

My guess is that both of those are at least in part due to the extended layoff. Call it excuse-making, and I'm not saying the Jackets played well, but it had the look of a team that couldn't quite find the mental gear it had previously. Hopefully playing this game into overtime will help get it back.

Reactions: EspenK

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012

We got outplayed from the start. We had some moments in both the second and third where we played with them and were able to do something in their zone, but by and large we were completely outplayed, outclassed, and out coached in game 1. Overtime wasn't even a contest, and after the Dubois goal (and extreme bit of luck) we just sat back and did nothing. It felt like game 4 against Tampa where we just hoped to hold on. They didn't.

I'd say it was rust but it's not rust when you get crushed in the manner that we were. It wasn't pucks bouncing off our sticks, missing passes, or just general sloppy mistakes. It was just complete dissection of our forecheck and nullifying our attack with ease. That's not rust. Boston played their game and we chased for most of it. Even with that, the game was right there for the taking due to Bobrovsky standing on his head and they blew it. Jones and Dubois sleepwalking on the tying goal and then Werenski on the GWG. A near complete no show.

Going to need to take game 2 or we're going to be in high probability of a sweep. Tonight was a spanking everywhere but the scoreboard.

Agree with lots of what you said, but in addition to Z not playing to the whistle and just assuming offsides on the game-winner, what were Boone and Nash doing? They weren't skating hard to get back in the play.

Disagree that if CBJ lose game 2 there is a high probability of a sweep. Think the Jackets will still win a game or two, maybe more.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I agree with a lot of the comments here, but I also thought that we clearly won the 2nd period, and the first half of the 3rd. The 1st was brutal, but that was to be expected.

They’ll get their mental edge and legs back, and slowly but surely the rest will begin to pay off... Most of the game after the 1st we played pretty good team defense. Disappointed in Z, but Harrington is still the CLEAR weak link on the team. I don’t know what Gavrikov is, but give me him over Harrington yesterday. We kept up strategically with what we did against the Bolts, but the Bruins are better, and the Jackets need to match their energy. I’m not really concerned about that.

What I am concerned about is that the Bruins are extremely good defensively. I think mistakes will come for them once they get more tired, but hopefully we can find a way to get some offense.

Overall, another concerning start, but losing Game 1 in Boston in OT when we haven’t played in 9 days and they kept right on after a 7 game series? Honestly I’ll take that any day of the week. Now they know what they need to do, and they’ll be better in game 2.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I thought we played them even (and maybe slightly better) from the middle of the 2nd until the last 8 minutes of the third.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
When I left to watch Endgame we were up 2-1. At least I didn't have to see us lose it. Having said that, this was somewhat predictable. Now that we have a game under us let's see what we can do after that long layoff.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Dzingel with 11 minutes ice time is concerning .

He needs to be more impactful on the play in general. He did a couple nice things last night but he was ineffective too often.

That's something with Tex, someone was saying earlier that he wasn't as good and looked like a rookie but I felt like he was still engaging and while he might not have been as quality, he didn't look lost or passive or ineffective.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He needs to be more impactful on the play in general. He did a couple nice things last night but he was ineffective too often.

That's something with Tex, someone was saying earlier that he wasn't as good and looked like a rookie but I felt like he was still engaging and while he might not have been as quality, he didn't look lost or passive or ineffective.

I didn't see much out of Texier in this game but I thought that Lexier kid made a couple of nice plays in the 3rd that didn't amount to anything. That was about it though.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I know we need to protect the 2-1 lead, but I've never been a fan of just dumping the puck, giving the opponent puck control, rather than carrying it thru the zone and maintaining control. Playing defense for 80% of the last 5-6 minutes gives the opponent what they want - opportunities.

Unfortunately we seemed to rely on that approach to protect the lead.

Reactions: CPTN71

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I remain disgusted with what I saw after we went up 2-1. I am pissed that Torts sat back and allowed them to just dump the puck into the Bruins' zone so that the Bruins could repeatedly just initiate another attack. I like to remain hopeful that they can re-group and get back the edge that they played with against Tampa. But from what I saw last nite, where we were outplayed for 2/3 of the game, we are in danger of a sweep. Bob gave us the opportunity to steal a game and we gave it back to the Bruins.

Reactions: EspenK

CBJ VGK

May 19, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I would say there are warranted concerns on both sides.

Boston should be concerned that they basically dominated every facet of the game and needed a late regulation goal and OT to win. CBJ should be concerned with how thoroughly and physically outclassed they were last night. This was not rust, it was total domination on both ends of the ice, but most notably at the blue lines.

The only thing we have going in our favor is the fact that we probably can't play much worse than last night. Further, it is becoming apparent the Bruins are already showing signs of wear and tear. Pastrnak is clearly not 100%, with many suspecting he has a nagging hand injury. Krejci left the game and might miss tomorrow's game.

Jackets were not the aggressor last night. They better be tomorrow, because they need to start pounding the Bruins if they want any chance to win this series in 6 or 7 games.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Hey guys.......last night was on me. It's my fault the CBJ lost.

I didn't have my beverage of choice in my CBJ Tervis Tumbler. It was in dishwasher. I thought about digging it out and washing it before I sat down to watch and didn't do it. I apologize for my oversight.

I will not let this happen again.

Reactions: RickS and akmuo33

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Hey guys.......last night was on me. It's my fault the CBJ lost.

I didn't have my beverage of choice in my CBJ Tervis Tumbler. It was in dishwasher. I thought about digging it out and washing it before I sat down to watch and didn't do it. I apologize for my oversight.

I will not let this happen again.

Now that that's settled...

please continue here

Playoffs Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad