GDT: Here We Go Again... Penguins Home Opener against Buffalo Sabres @ 7pmEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The question coming fast is... "Is the era over?"

I'll point to times before where it's looked bad. I don't think we are there yet. But man this is demoralizing.

I'm sure the stars will still be good which will keep us in or around a playoff spot all year, no matter how bad the rest of it is.

Those expecting a bottom out will probably need to wait a while yet.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I think this is way too early to say "we will", but there's always been a chance that we would be rough. Lots of new names up front, and the same old problems on the blueline. Could end up being true, though.
You can't win with this defense.

Look at the cup in 2016, you had Letang playing out of his mind (his best hockey), Dumo, Schultz, Lovejoy, Daily, and Maatta (who was barely able to be hid).

All of those guys could skate the puck out of danger(sans Maatta). look at this game, you have guys constantly getting stuck in our zone, a system which is exposing the defense, and forwards who have no real interest to play defense.

Its a mess.

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
The question coming fast is... "Is the era over?"

I'll point to times before where it's looked bad. I don't think we are there yet. But man this is demoralizing.
If I’m going to point to a turning point for this team, it was the Reeves trade. Of course, no one trade can end as successful a run as the Pens have had, but it marked the beginning of a string of transactions where the management had clearly lost aight of the identity of this team and what had made it so successful under Sullivan.

Reactions: ColePens and NEPA

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Look at the cup in 2016, you had Letang playing out of his mind (his best hockey), Dumo, Schultz, Lovejoy, Daily, and Maatta (who was barely able to be hid).

All of those guys could skate the puck out of danger(sans Maatta). look at this game, you have guys constantly getting stuck in our zone, a system which is exposing the defense, and forwards who have no real interest to play defense.

Its a mess.

It's not just the defense, this team is flawed in a ton of areas.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If Hornqvist can manage to avoid injury, he'll give himself a heart attack with his temper. Oof.

Its a mess.
I agree. I've been bemoaning the blueline for literally years. :laugh:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Someone needs to throw a chair in the locker room.

Violent outbursts are not the most effective.

But someone NEEDS to tonight.

Reactions: NEPA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad