Post-Game Talk: "Here we are! Rocked us like a Hurricane!" | Leafs lose 4-1 to Carolina

InterceptSchenn

Good Evening MrFrost
Jan 15, 2012
Montreal
randy carliar has no idea how to manage a bench. runs out the same lines, 5 v 5 and on the PP.....even if they are showing after 8 games that they have no chemistry (exclude line 3). love fest with kostka makes me ill. he sucks. if we lose the next 3, fire carliar. sick of that pp unit

lampshade*

I think as leaf fans, well be a whole lot happier when we stop expecting players to be something they're not. Not every player in the NHL goes into the corners every night. Very few take up residence in front of the net.

Excellent points Eddie, thank you.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
randy carliar has no idea how to manage a bench. runs out the same lines, 5 v 5 and on the PP.....even if they are showing after 8 games that they have no chemistry (exclude line 3). love fest with kostka makes me ill. he sucks. if we lose the next 3, fire carliar. sick of that pp unit

Honestly, the only thing I can think that he is doing, is being under order from nonis to run the workhorses to see what is on the team.

Why else would he keep running phaneuf and kostka?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Ok Grabo fans, time for you guys, and you know who you are, time to call out your 5.5 man out since he has disappeared again. Excuses or does he deserve some shared criticism tonight?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I know people will moan to me about it being one game, but it's not - it's the trend. And it's far too typical with Dion Phaneuf.

That's a typical Dion Phaneuf performance. And it was crap. And yet there are unfortunately those amongst us who still believe this guy worth to be a #1 Dman, which he most certainly isn't.

He doesn't offer anything other than a hard shot to the powerplay, which up until this point in the season has done nothing but injure one of our best forwards. He doesn't have the ability to make a smart pass, or show some finesse.

He's not inspiring as a captain. Not at all. When a team needs someone, where is he? He plays 20+ minutes a night but still has such little impact.

People are all on Kessel's back like a mountain on his shoulders, and yet this guy is getting away with so little criticism it makes my blood boil.

The Toronto Maple Leafs will win nothing, with Dion Phaneuf as their captain.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Ok Grabo fans, time for you guys, and you know who you are, time to call your 5.5 man out since he has disappeared again. Excuses or does he deserve some shared criticism tonight?

Poor contract for a guy that would be a decent 2nd liner at best on a good team.

I liked that his line created some chances tonight, but his disappearing act grew old before his new deal

Stevie28

Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Everyone needs to relax. Remember, were missing 2 huge pieces in Gardiner and Lupul, oh and dont forget Gunnar now for 2 games. When they are back we will see better results..

I cannot wait till Reilly's ready to stabilize our top four. Him and Gardiner will be provide creativity from the point which we have absolutely none of, bar Kostka, who, bless his soul is out of his league to pull his magic he did in the AHL. That isnt saying he cant play well defensively in the Nhl. But when we have Reilly.. then hopefully we will be consistent. Still missing a #1 center unless Kadri fills in and exceeds expectations... but here is what i hope to see next year

Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
Frattin-Grabo-Kule
Mac-Bozak-Komarov
Brown-Mcclement-Steckel

Phaneuf-Gunnarson
Gardiner-Liles
Reilly-Franson
Komi (he can fit in for Liles/Franson)

Like Kadri and Frattin, give Reilly sheltered minutes, give him a chance to succeed, put him in good situations, to shine and gain confidence. I like the looks of that team if Reimer keeps things up, with even more D stability to come from Percy, Blacker, Finn, Niilson..

Biggs and Leivo to replace MacA when his contract his up.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Ok Grabo fans, time for you guys, and you know who you are, time to call out your 5.5 man out since he has disappeared again. Excuses or does he deserve some shared criticism tonight?

For sure, he was not there tonight. Holzer looked awful tonight as well. The whole d core can not get teh puck out of the zone properly. Fraser is tough but that is about it for me.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Carlyle has to take some heat as well.

Why hasn't Kessel been moved? I think the clock read 6 minutes left in a game that your team was 4-1 down before he tried to move Kessel to another line. What's the point?

Move him. You only have one of the purest playmakers on the team, in Kadri, continously putting up points. Why not try him with Kadri?

Frattin seems to be finding space well - why not try putting him with Frattin, or put him in place of Frattin to utilize his linemates?

I'm tired of complaining about Mike Kostka. He may have a spot on the team, but not at 23+ minutes. That's just an absolute joke for a guy that has been a career AHLer up to this point

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
For sure, he was not there tonight. Holzer looked awful tonight as well. The whole d core can not get teh puck out of the zone properly. Fraser is tough but that is about it for me.

Grabo has an aversion to checking Staal's, that's twice it was his man that he left alone in front of the net for a key goal, last saturday Marc Staal NY Rangers, and tonight Staal again Carolina.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Grabo has an aversion to checking Staal's, that's twice it was his man that he left alone in front of the net for a key goal, last saturday Marc Staal NY Rangers, and tonight Staal again Carolina.

Or maybe, just maybe, it has nothing to do with a theoretical aversion to the Staal brothers, and everything to do with him not being defensively disciplined?

But it's ok. Carlyle is a coach who premises his approach on responsibility and accountability, and as a result of his poor play with penalize Grabovski next game by playing him the same amount of minutes he plays every other night...

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
Leafs have a lot of competition. Better have lots of efforts like the 2nd and 3rd periods tonight if they are going to even get a sniff at that high a pick.

From what I have seen I think they are the little train wreck that could.

Hey maybe I could make a sig out of that.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Or maybe, just maybe, it has nothing to do with a theoretical aversion to the Staal brothers, and everything to do with him not being defensively disciplined?

But it's ok. Carlyle is a coach who premises his approach on responsibility and accountability, and as a result of his poor play with penalize Grabovski next game by playing him the same amount of minutes he plays every other night...

Last couple of nights it has been water, melt the ice. Not fire burn the ice. RC needs another chat with the almost 6M dollar man.

Penalty Kill Icing*

1 goal in 6 periods. On home ice. :clap:

I took the subway home from University after game ended, and 70% of subway car was filled with fans returning from game (recognizable by merchandise). Pretty depressing watching the mood all around.

What is it? 1-4-0 now, on home ice?

TheSilencer

Feb 5, 2010
Toronto
1 goal in 6 periods. On home ice. :clap:

I took the subway home from University after game ended, and 70% of subway car was filled with fans returning from game (recognizable by merchandise). Pretty depressing watching the mood all around.

What is it? 1-4-0 now, on home ice?

Back to reality, pretty much. I guess people can finally stop saying "offense isn't the problem, defense is". It's pretty evident that we aren't particularly good at anything.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
God i'd do anything to take back the Kessel trade and sign Perry instead after we tanked those years.

Lupul-Seguin-Perry
JvR-Kadri-Frattin
Kulemin-Grabovski-Komarov
Brown-McClement-Orr

Phaneuf-Hamilton
Gardiner-Kostka
Gunnarsson-Franson

Reimer
Scrivens

Damn now thats a team.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

I would say it's hard being thrust right into the speed of NHL competition when he's been playing against AHL'ers. He probably needs a few games and some practice to get up to snuff.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
God i'd do anything to take back the Kessel trade and sign Perry instead after we tanked those years.

Lupul-Seguin-Perry
JvR-Kadri-Frattin
Kulemin-Grabovski-Komarov
Brown-McClement-Orr

Phaneuf-Hamilton
Gardiner-Kostka
Gunnarsson-Franson

Reimer
Scrivens

Damn now thats a team.

Perry has a decent chance of coming here if he reaches UFA because of his family. If Getzlaf reaches UFA also, I would throw $15 to $16 mil at the pair. As for Seguin, he wouldn't make a heck of a difference on this team and would have been run out of town after his 22 point rookie season by the media and some of the so called Leafs fans here. Truth is, he's not even playing centre with the B's because he's not ready and by far, not even close to being the best centre on that team...and you want him to centre this team of mostly second rate players?

huge*

Everyone needs to relax. Remember, were missing 2 huge pieces in Gardiner and Lupul, oh and dont forget Gunnar now for 2 games. When they are back we will see better results..

I cannot wait till Reilly's ready to stabilize our top four. Him and Gardiner will be provide creativity from the point which we have absolutely none of, bar Kostka, who, bless his soul is out of his league to pull his magic he did in the AHL. That isnt saying he cant play well defensively in the Nhl. But when we have Reilly.. then hopefully we will be consistent. Still missing a #1 center unless Kadri fills in and exceeds expectations... but here is what i hope to see next year

Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
Frattin-Grabo-Kule
Mac-Bozak-Komarov
Brown-Mcclement-Steckel

Phaneuf-Gunnarson
Gardiner-Liles
Reilly-Franson
Komi (he can fit in for Liles/Franson)

Like Kadri and Frattin, give Reilly sheltered minutes, give him a chance to succeed, put him in good situations, to shine and gain confidence. I like the looks of that team if Reimer keeps things up, with even more D stability to come from Percy, Blacker, Finn, Niilson..

Biggs and Leivo to replace MacA when his contract his up.

Relax? We haven't made the playoffs in 10 years. Does it get any more pathetic?

legendinblue

NHL in Seattle
Apr 30, 2011
Seattle/Europe
2s8k5qd.png

TANK

I want them to win so much, but we're going nowhere with this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->