Here is my top 30 for the 2006 NHL draft:

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
1. Phil Kessel. F. USA
Still a human highlight reel, he has speed, stickhandling and a shot that can wow anyone, he has too much potential to pass up on. He can bulk up and he can change his game a little...all that will come with time.

2. Erik Johnson. D. USA
A big all around good d-man, his offensive game is starting to come along now, since last year he has made leaps and bounds in development, and he looks to be just scratching the surface of his potential.

3. Jordan Staal. F. Can
The name alone will help him, notto mention right now he is just impressing with his offensive capabilities and overall skill level, he has great size and with the Staal name, great size and super skill he might go alot higher than alot of people think.

4. Michael Frolik. F Czech
he is getting underrated now, he is and will be one of the marquee talents in the draft and in the long run he could turn out to be the best talent from this draft, he has endless amounts of talent, he is a game breaker and his offensive game is just explosive.

5. Jonathan Toews. F Can
A good safe all around player, makes smart plays and does the little thing right. He is a little overhyped before the WJC, but now he is being underhyped because of a poor showing there. He is still a great talent that is all around good, he has everything you need to succeed at the next level.

6. James Sheppard. F Can
This guy is a brick on the ice, very strong and very quite, he does everything asked of him, has great vision and controls the plays, he throws his body and loves it in the corners and boards, does everything on the ice and is a super power forward in the making.

7. Brian Little. F Can
Very explosive and very dangrous in the offensive zone, he gives you his all and is very capable at doing anything from passing the shooting to skating around people, he is a little underrated for this draft now.

8. Nicklas Backstrom. F Swed
He is a real explosive talent on the ice, he garnishes alot of attention because of his offensive capablities and his ability to really take control in the offensive zone, he has everything you could want in the offensive zone including some flair.

9. Peter Mueller. F USA
Kind of not meeting expectations in the WHL this year, he has endless talent and has size to boot, he should be dominating with his flashy stickhandling work, skating and super vison and passing ability, not to mention he is a great goal scorer as well, seems to have it all and has the potential to be a top 5 pick in the draft.

10. Kyle Okposo. F USA
An energy ball on the ice who skates hard, competes hard, plays rough, plays with pride and just does anything you want him to, fast skater, built like a tank, hard hitter, no fear, great shot, does everything type.

11. Jesse Jouensuu. F Fin
Very big, great size and poise, he has not reached the offensive potential they thought he would, but he is still very raw, he reminds some of Mikko Koivu, he might take some time to develop his overall game but he has the potential to be a star in the making.

12. Jonathan Bernier. G Can
Has been showing all year that he is a very good #1 goalie, he he capable at making highlight saves, he doesn't crack under presseur, plays a strong butterfly game, is getting fast and controls rebounds well, he has the makings of a #1 future goalie.

13. Yuri Alexandrov. D Rus
Very offensive d-man who loves to add from the point, very good rusher with speed and slick stick work, is playing very well right now in Russia, he is one of those players, you either love him or hate him.

14. Bobby Senguinettie. D USA
Really opening eyes this year in the OHL, a super smooth skater with awsome puckhanlding of rushing ability, he controls the play very well from the point, not scared to take offensive chances and plays a respectable defensive game to boot.

15. Billy Sauer. G USA
Dominating NCAA right now, he could be in a long line of great goalies from the NCAA ranks, he is big, athletic, fast, smart, positional, he has the makings of a star goalie.

16. Derrick Brassard. F Czech
Really proving this year he has maga talent, could be a Simon Gagne type of player, very fast on the ice and agilie, a very good stickhandler with good moves, great vision and passing abilities, he is able to create plays and put the puck in the net, he has the makings of a really good offensive forward.

17. Jiri Tlusy. F Czech
plays a well rounded two way style of game, he plays aggressive and tough, will throw hits and is a decent skater with all around decent offensive skills, his talent in the offensive zone is very raw and he could be a offensive stud once he works on a few areas...when drafting him he could be a real good project with very good two way skills...so he is a win win player (offensive games doesn't pan out, he is good then as a banger and two way player)

18. Mark Mitera. D USA
Will never stand out in a game and needs to work on a few parts of it as well, he plays a safe quite game that will go unnoticed, very solid all around but like said, he is more a safe pick, he could turn out to be a very good 4th to 5th d-man

19. Ivan Vishnevsky. D Rus
A Sandis Ozolinch type of d-man who is dominating the QMJHL with his offensive game from the point, his end to end rushes, his ability to get in the offensive zone and shoot is almost unmatched by alot of defenders, he plays a little better defense than Ozolinsh did, still he is not one for rough play nor traffic, his offensive game makes him tempting.

20. Mike Forney. F USA
A pure sniper with deadly shooting ability, he is fast and has a big frame, still raw though and some what of a project for the long run, his offensive capabilities are way too much to pass on.

21. Alexander Vasyunov. F Russia
Actually has the talent to go 1st overall in the draft, he could be the most skilled player in the draft putting his talents up there with Kovalchuk and Ovechkin but despite his super speed, agility, awsome stickhandling, and good given scoring ability that could be unmatched in the draft, this guy only plays when he wants to and plays very lazy, if he can get over this and play the game, he will be some teams meal ticket to fame, untill then he will be just another decent player.

22. Nigel Williams. D USA
A great physical, aggressive man with great all around game, he could turn out to be a super star player in the future, in the long run he could be up there with Erik Johnson and so on, he is flying low under the radar right now, but come draft time he could be up in the top 15 selected.

23. Ryan Flynn. F USA
A very physical, big hitter, he is very good at playmaking on the ice, he has good vision and controls the plays along the boards and corners, he is very well rounded in the offensive zone and is able to put up with alot of abuse before they can take the puck.

24. David Kveton. F Czech
Very slick with the puck, he is one of those players who handles the puck with style, he plays with good pace, has a very quick shot and is able to use it when the goalie isn't ready, he is a very capable passer who will not wow you but gets the job done.

25. Ryan Hillier. F Can
Really starting to show is true talent, he has speed to burn, he loves to stickhandle around people..maybe a bit too much, he is a great playmaker with great vision and passing ability, he makes others better on his line.

26. Igor Makarov. F Rus
A good stickhandler with good speed and all around good play, he makes good passes, picks his shots well and has good awarness on the ice, able to stickhandle quit well and put the puck in the net, his game is alittle underrated on these boards, he is a good worker with a good offensvie game, watch out for this player.

27. Joey Ryan. D USA
A super physical d-man who is a very intimidating force when on the ice, he will drop the gloves with anyone, throw bone crushing hits, plays a super aggressive style of game, plays well positionally on defense, this guy just scares the oppenents on the ice and plays well in the defensive zone to boot.

28. Ben Shutron. D Can
A great two way defender, he has good puck rushing poise, makes good tape to tape passes, works the puck around well, is used on QB alot, he has good vision and hockey sense, needs to add a physical game to his belt though.

29. Niko Hoivonen. G Fin
This guy could be a real steal this low in the draft, and in a few years he has the ability to be possibly the best goalie from this draft, compared to Lehtonen alot these days, he is fast, poised, positional, athletic, smart , a game saver, good glove he has it all and could be a future super star if handled right.

30. Ben Maxwell. F Can
a very good playmaker who is able to make others better on the ice, he has good speed on his skates and has good smarts and awarness as well, he needs to work on consistancy more so than anything else right now but he is very good, and can only get better.

Last edited:

Laurentides

Jan 22, 2003
Laval
Visit site
Very nice list. Where would you put Derrick Brassard? Around 15 and 20 i guess. I've seen him a lot this year and he is impressing me more and more every time i see him. He just need to fil out his frame and he's gonna be NHL material. I compare him to a bigger PM Bouchard.

Sabes

Feb 27, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Mueller has 37 points in 32 games. Not too bad for a 17 yr old rookie in the league, especially on a team like Everett. He started slow but I think he has caught on quite well.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
I disagree with Mueller not having a toolbox. His problem is that his linemates this year (both in Everett and at the WJC's) are not on the same cerebral level as him and thus nothing really evolves. I'd compare him to a slightly-smaller Handzus with better playmaking abilities. .

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Jon Prescription said:
Sauer will be the first goalie picked. Take it to the bank and lock it up.

have you seen Bernier play? easy to say he should go 1st but unless you have seen him both play you won't know. If you have then you are entitled to your opinion.

Gophers

Nov 23, 2004
I think he's entitled to his opinion none-the-less. In my opinion, waffles are better than pancakes. Its a close call, but waffles just barely get the nod. Thats my honest opinion.

That would be pretty cool for the Americans to go 1-2 in the draft. Has that ever happened before?

AgentNaslund*

Where is Marc Anthony Stewarts little bro? I heard he has his size at the same age, but years ahead of his bigger brother in offensive game.

btw nice list. Are you a scout for a team or something?

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Jon Prescription said:
Sauer will be the first goalie picked. Take it to the bank and lock it up.

Its possible..but he's not "dominating" the NCAA's right now as it was said earlier....his 2.91 GAA ranks him 47th in the NCAA right now and there are 9 freshman goalies with a better GAA..two of them drafted..he's good no doubt....but not dominant..not yet

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
Great Job. Definatly like the positions of Brassard and Frolik. Glad to see that you didnt drop Mike Frolik into a 6-10 spot like some have predicted after the WJC. Cant wait to see the lottery draft and watch how the names will move around.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
wild_gopher said:
I think he's entitled to his opinion none-the-less. In my opinion, waffles are better than pancakes. Its a close call, but waffles just barely get the nod. Thats my honest opinion.

That would be pretty cool for the Americans to go 1-2 in the draft. Has that ever happened before?

No, it's never happened that Americans have been taken 1-2. Americans have been drafted first overall four times.
Brian Lawton, 1983
Mike Modano, 1988
Bryan Berard, 1995
Rick DiPietro, 2000

The closest it came to happening was 1983 when when Pat LaFontaine went 3rd and Tom Barrasso 5th.

GoneAway

I got a question related to this list:

Is this years draft considered to be a deep one (not like 2003, that one was just sick)?

Should the top 10 all be impact players?

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Wonder if anybody is going to try to draft Shirokov this year. Apparently, he doesn't look like he wants to leave Russia, otherwise he would have gone in the first or second round last year, but I can't help thinking he might be worth taking a chance on as a later pick.

X0ssbar

Scribe said:
The closest it came to happening was 1983 when when Pat LaFontaine went 3rd and Tom Barrasso 5th.

Not to nitpick but actually the closest was last year when Bobby Ryan went #2 and Jack Johnson #3.

faucette78

Jan 6, 2005
Just curious about a couple of other d-men that are not on your list but are rated high in other publications - John Degray and Ty Wishart? I am a little surprised they are not in your top 30.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
faucette78 said:
Just curious about a couple of other d-men that are not on your list but are rated high in other publications - John Degray and Ty Wishart? I am a little surprised they are not in your top 30.

I believe Degray is in ISS's Top 10 right now. Wishart could be a late 1st rounder come draft day.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
AgentNaslund said:
Where is Marc Anthony Stewarts little bro? I heard he has his size at the same age, but years ahead of his bigger brother in offensive game.

btw nice list. Are you a scout for a team or something?

His big brother is supposed to be the more talented offensively of the two, whilst Chris has more passion. Id say he will end up going late 1st round.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Richard_Zednik said:
Brassard will be picked higher.. but hopeufully not because the Habs need to pick a D man and Brassard so he can be with Guillaume.

The way we are sinking like a rock right now, with games against red hot SJ and DAL coming up and after that a 6 game road trip to hell coming up, chances are we'll have our choice of Brassard and many many others. :(

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
Top Shelf said:
Not to nitpick but actually the closest was last year when Bobby Ryan went #2 and Jack Johnson #3.
Not to nitpick either, but like he said, in 1983 Brian Lawton went first and Pat LaFontaine went 3rd, so thats closer ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->