Here is a question. How many on this board are actually in Washington State?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
My morning pass through reddit showed me that we'd be gaining some fans from eastern Canada today.:laugh:
To be faaaaairrr .....

.. I think Toronto is still a lot better team than the Kraken will be in the first 2 seasons. Fans from Vancouver I can feel for. As someone who rooted for the Sharks before the Kraken, never having won a SC is a tough pill to swallow. Plus management has basically screwed the team over time and again. I expect a lot of Leafs fans are just angry and when they look at how our team looks like after the expansion draft they probably go back to being Leafs fans .. :). Dubas is a fairly good GM.

Last edited:

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Yeah, having been a Flyers fan since the mid 90's I know what it's like to feel dissatisfaction and anger towards management for failing year after year.

Reactions: Dog

MattMan

May 31, 2021
To be faaaaairrr .....

.. I think Toronto is still a lot better team than the Kraken will be in the first 2 seasons. Fans from Vancouver I can feel for. As someone who rooted for the Sharks before the Kraken, never having won a SC is a tough pill to swallow. Plus management has basically screwed the team over time and again. I expect a lot of Leafs fans are just angry and when they look at how our team looks like after the expansion draft they probably go back to being Leafs fans .. :). Dubas is a fairly good GM.

Totally get where you're coming from, but as one of those 'Leafs fans' abandoning ship, it runs a little deeper than that. I have no hate for Dubas. It's a combination of the players obviously not caring about winning, based on their terrible performance in 3 elimination games in this series alone, coupled with the feeling that the team just seems cursed.
The players have been given everything they could ever want and gave us lemons in return.
Being a Leafs fan has been torture and it's time to get out of the Asylum.
I don't come to the Kraken with expectations of winning. But I expect some fun and a team that looks like I cares. The jerseys are also dope ;)

Reactions: Toronto makebeleifs

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
To be faaaaairrr .....

Yeah, even I can't commit 100% to the Kraken being my #1 yet and my reasons isn't team performance. I don't see how any diehard can honestly make that claim until the season starts and there are two sets of games to watch and two teams to cheer for.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah, even I can't commit 100% to the Kraken being my #1 yet and my reasons isn't team performance. I don't see how any diehard can honestly make that claim until the season starts and there are two sets of games to watch and two teams to cheer for.

Its hard for sure. For me, it may be a little easier because I was not 'born into' hockey. Didn't start watching it till about 2008 or so when I was in my late 20s and rooted for the Sharks simply because that was my father-in-laws team and he was the one who got me into hockey. Like me, he is also switching to root for the Kraken because of the local aspect.

The thing that is going to be harder for fans of the Canucks or Sharks (like me) is that they are now rooting for a division rival they play multiple times a year. Its going to be quick test to see if you can actually root for the Kraken or not. For fans of the Leafs, its not going to be quite as bad .. :)

Reactions: Dog

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Its hard for sure. For me, it may be a little easier because I was not 'born into' hockey. Didn't start watching it till about 2008 or so when I was in my late 20s and rooted for the Sharks simply because that was my father-in-laws team and he was the one who got me into hockey. Like me, he is also switching to root for the Kraken because of the local aspect.

The thing that is going to be harder for fans of the Canucks or Sharks (like me) is that they are now rooting for a division rival they play multiple times a year. Its going to be quick test to see if you can actually root for the Kraken or not. For fans of the Leafs, its not going to be quite as bad .. :)
My first team was the Blues, then Oilers, and eventually the Leafs(1998). Do you see the pattern it was because of Cujo. Stopped changing team when he went to Detroit. It was 23 seasons or so followed Toronto which had heart transplant in 2016. I remember my younger self watching in shock as leafs could not beat Carolina. The Bruins collapse was the real danger in my side. Luckily, did not watch game 7 loss to Montreal. Did listen to most game on radio. Could only laughed because so tired of despair from this franchise. Do not care what happens next for the Leafs. Starting fresh with team who knows who they might get for players. It is exciting to see what happens next in next few months.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

As a 35+ year Flames fan, I get what you are saying, and as I've stated I don't know which team will be #1 until the first time the Flames and Kraken face off. The huge deterrent for many of these Leafs fans will be when the games are played, how many will watch games starting at 10-10:30pm? Or the guy from Newfoundland who will see games start at 11:30pm-12:00am?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I can guarantee you I will be the most Eastern Kraken fan out there. Newfoundland on the east coast of Canada.

I have been a leafs (LAFFS) fan for 30 years. Last night was the last and final straw. I need a fresh start. what better team to follow and cheer for then a brand new team with sick colours and logos. GO KRAKEN !!

I live in the UK.

CascadiaPenguin

Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Port Townsend. Former San Jose Sharks season ticket holder. Went to many games in Vancouver. Now I get to see the Sharks at two different places! (but will support the Kragen as well of course. I'm still looking to share a few games a season with a season ticket holder.
I will have extras. Sweet, lower bowl. Next to an aisle.

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
Grew up and lived all over the Puget sound area. Moved to Florida in 2014 and fell in love with hockey. Reached the pinnacle with the Lightning and ready to board the Kraken ship from the start now that I'm back in WA!

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Grew up and lived all over the Puget sound area. Moved to Florida in 2014 and fell in love with hockey. Reached the pinnacle with the Lightning and ready to board the Kraken ship from the start now that I'm back in WA!

Nice. From the expansion draft thread earlier I thought you were strictly a Bolts fan, but that's awesome that you'll be both.
Been a Flyers fan since the 90's myself and wouldn't change that but I'd kill to give them a bit of the success your other team has had.:laugh:

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
Nice. From the expansion draft thread earlier I thought you were strictly a Bolts fan, but that's awesome that you'll be both.
Been a Flyers fan since the 90's myself and wouldn't change that but I'd kill to give them a bit of the success your other team has had.:laugh:
I'd have been a Kraken fan first if they were here any time before 2014. Moved to TB the year they lost to the blackhawks in the finals and fell in love with hockey. My favorite sport by far now. Still love the Hawks & M's, and grew up LOVING the Sonics, but hockey is my #1 love now

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
Born in Wash, and some part of me still wants to cheer for Seattle Sports.

Bring back the SuuuuuuuuppperSonics.

KINGZFAN

Jun 10, 2018
Been a LA Kings fan since Gretzky came to town, I live in Oregon now for 5 yrs. and have been going to Winterhawks games to get a hockey fix. I am looking forward to see some games in person. I don’t think I can dump my kings team but can easily become a Kraken fan after some games. . I will be following closely…..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad