Here comes the awkward few days where meaningless games are played on the same day as a playoff game

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Must feel weird from a player's perspective if you're involved in one of these games, knowing that other teams are starting the playoffs later in the night. And Calgary vs. Vancouver? How mentally tough must it be to get up for THREE more games, all of which will be played on the same day as a playoff game?

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
How mentally tough must it be to get up for THREE more games
Why? It's just a game, and these three games must feel like just a game more than ever. Anyway, they must play them because of draft rankings so any dumb arguments that they shouldn't play should fall on completely deaf ears.

Reactions: Morrison

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Why? It's just a game, and these three games must feel like just a game more than ever. Anyway, they must play them because of draft rankings so any dumb arguments that they shouldn't play should fall on completely deaf ears.

That was my point?

That it's gonna be tough to get amped up for a game that's "just a game."

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Eliminated teams playing "meaningless games" is not unique to this season.

The games happening on the same day as a playoff game is in my 20-year history of watching the NHL (to the best of my recollection, so I could be wrong) is though, so there's that too.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They're paid a huge amount of money to do it. If money and love of the game isn't enough motivation, what is?
Just saying it’s gotta be awkward for them. Playing meaningless games is one thing, getting yourself excited to play them when some of your peers and buddies are preparing for a playoff game later that same day is another. Especially if you know you have no chance of playing in playoff games yourself this year.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Are you kidding? These guys will feel like they’re playing playoff games, as the playoffs will be going on...and they’ll still be playing hockey! NHL playoff highlights will be shown and their games will still get mentioned. Makes the otherwise meaningless games more unique and memorable.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
They're paid a huge amount of money to do it. If money and love of the game isn't enough motivation, what is?

Doesn't matter how much you love something if you just want it to be over with so you can come back next season.
The expectation of a player being so dedicated to a team sport is asinine

These players have lives. For a few months of the year until they retire.

I wouldn't want to get up to play the Flames or Canucks after I'd been eliminated. Let alone after playoffs start. I'd be thinking about the tiny amount of free time I finally have.

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Yeah but they get paid ridiculous amounts of money no matter how hard they try, so really they should just make sure no one loses any teeth or gets seriously injured

The awkward part is that some fringe players may want to prove themselves and go full throttle while established players dgaf

Reactions: Morrison

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
It's not that different from 2 teams eliminated from contention playing each other towards the end of a normal regular season.

And some guys are fighting to stay in the league and prove themselves, some guys need the paycheck

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I like to think of it as 2 teams playing relegation games while other teams are competing for medals. Obviously Vancouver and Calgary aren't playing for much besides Pride, but I think they will be fine finishing up the season while the playoffs are going on.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Doesn't matter how much you love something if you just want it to be over with so you can come back next season.
The expectation of a player being so dedicated to a team sport is asinine

These players have lives. For a few months of the year until they retire.

I wouldn't want to get up to play the Flames or Canucks after I'd been eliminated. Let alone after playoffs start. I'd be thinking about the tiny amount of free time I finally have.
They're also paid stupid amounts of money. It's a job too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: District99

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Just saying it’s gotta be awkward for them. Playing meaningless games is one thing, getting yourself excited to play them when some of your peers and buddies are preparing for a playoff game later that same day is another. Especially if you know you have no chance of playing in playoff games yourself this year.

Wouldn't it be similar to getting ready for a bronze medal game when you have no chance of winning gold and your peers are getting ready for the finals to try and win the gold.

Similar idea.

Not on the same scale but very similar.

Reactions: josra33

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
In the grand scheme it's pretty meaningless but on garbage teams like Vancouver, a bunch of waiver fodder players are auditioning for roles next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad