here are the bright spots to this year

McBold

Jan 22, 2005
The team didn't always come out playing on all cylinders, but there was some entertaining games this year. I can recall when we had a lot more fat on the team 3 years ago, now those games were painful.

We will see what happens this off-season but a healthy RNH, hopefully Eberle bounces back, Schultz and Yakupov's first 82 game season. Hopefully we can take that step we've all been waiting for next year.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
Honestly had Eberle and RNH performed better offensively, we could've snuck into the playoffs this season.

Offseason priorities:
- Trade for/draft a defensively responsible, faceoff capable, preferably big/physical second line center (Berglund etc, Barkov/Monahan could become this)
- Sign a big second line winger (Horton etc, Paajarvi may develop into this)
- Sign some bottom 6 role players with some offensive upside (Bickell, Torres etc, can't be too hard)
- Trade for a top pairing PMD (Yandle etc, we should include Gagner in a package for this once we have the second line center)
- Bring in someone to mentor guys like Schultz/Klefbom (Scuderi etc)
* DO NOT trade Hall, RNH, or Yakupov under any circumstance, don't trade Eberle unless we're including him in a deal for a stud like OEL/Pietrangelo.
* Get rid of the dead weight. Addition by subtraction is without a doubt the most important way to improve this team: Hemsky, Smyth, Belanger, Whitney, and Potter all must go. I wouldn't mind losing Petrell, Smithson, Jones, Fistric, N Schultz, and Horcoff (we can keep him as a role player if we have the cap space and use the compliance buyout next offseason) either.

Here is my Santa list;
1) Sign UFA David Clarkson
2) Trade Hemsky, Gagner, and prospect for RFA Chris Stewart
3) Use the two 2nd round picks or the 1st round to get a big Dman with no teeth and move down in the draft
4) Draft Bo Horvat
5) Keep Mike Browm, release Belanger, Smyth, and others

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I want to officially congratulate the Oilers on their new title of the longest current playoff drought ;)

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
The team didn't always come out playing on all cylinders, but there was some entertaining games this year. I can recall when we had a lot more fat on the team 3 years ago, now those games were painful.

We will see what happens this off-season but a healthy RNH, hopefully Eberle bounces back, Schultz and Yakupov's first 82 game season. Hopefully we can take that step we've all been waiting for next year.

It's gonna take a heluva lot more than that. There's a reason RNH/Eberle had tough years. And its not just being snake bitten. This team is the softest team ever to play on NHL ice.

This thread is going for the world's shortest list title.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
The only bright spot I see is the all too familiar:
nhldraft2013.jpg

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Positives:

1) Hall took steps to become a dominant NHL player, not getting sheltered minutes anymore.
2) Dubnyk took steps forward in playing a majority of the season and playing consistently well for the most part.
3) Re-signing Ladi Smid to a long term contract.
4) Paajarvi showed some nice development in becoming a braver playing rushing to the net and hopefully establishing some traction as a bonafide NHL player.
5) Justin Schultz was added to the mix. However, his performance has certainly dropped off and thats probably due to the trials of the NHL schedule and increased competition.

Most importantly #6.
6) The recognition by the Oiler franchise that finishing in the bottom five, with lacklustre performances by players is not acceptable. hence, leading to Tambellini's ouster.

Hopefully this will mean that for once, the Oilers will finally address the noticeable holes in the lineup and ice an improved, more consistent lineup that what's been slogged together.

ales83fan

Jul 13, 2007
Positives:

Eberle has actually been playing better than I imagined, especially on the backcheck.

Hemsky has been healthier than expected.

Coaching has been a hit! Man that 5 on 5 scheme is working wonders for us!

Lastly, Smyth is just flying out there! And man can that guy blast it form the slot. He needs to use that slapshot more though.

Sorry, I know this is not the point of this thread but the level of suck that this team has put me through is actually bothering me beyond belief. But hey, I am not a tier 1 fan, what do I know...

In terms of positives, Taylor Hall.

Not sure if anyone else has improved by leaps and bounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad