Proposal: Henrique to Colorado

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
:avs :ducks2

Avs need a 3C. Anaheim want to save $'s.

As such, I thought I'd explore the possibility of Henrique to Colorado.

How about this:

• Henrique ($2.825m retained) for Compher ($1m retained)

Allow me to explain my reasoning...

1. Henrique is owed $21.26m ($5.825 x 3.65*) until the end of his contract

*3 more years + 65% of this season remains.

upload_2021-2-23_13-54-9.png

2. If Anaheim buy him out this offseason they would pay $11.65m for the buyout, plus the remaining salary this season of $3.79m ($5.825m x 0.65), totalling $15.44m. They would thus save $5.82m on the $21.26m Henrique is owed.

Doing that however would put $1.9m of dead capspace on the books until 2027, which would obviously not be ideal if they're looking to be competitive in 2-3 years time.

upload_2021-2-23_14-0-52.png

3. If Anaheim trade him with $2.825m retained, they would owe $10.31m over the next 3.65 seasons, as outlined below. This would be $5.13m less than the cost of buying him out ($15.44m minus $10.31m), making a trade preferable to a buyout.
  • 2020/21: $2.825m x 0.65 (65% of the season remains)
  • 2021/22: $2.825m
  • 2022/23: $2.825m
  • 2023/24: $2.825m

* Enter Colorado *

4. Avs would take on Henrique at $3m x 3.65 seasons, so they would cover the remaining $10.95m on his contract.

From the Avs perspective, the yearly cap impact would be:
  • 2020/21: $3m + $1m (i.e. Henrique + retention on Compher)
  • 2021/22: $3m + $1m
  • 2022/23: $3m + $1m
  • 2023/24: $3m
Colorado would essentially have Henrique at 3C for effectively a $4m caphit until 2023, and then a $3m caphit in the last year.

5. As outlined below Compher is owed $9.69m over the next 2.65 seasons ($1.69m + $4.5m + $3.5m).
  • 2020/21: $2.6m x 0.65 = $1.69m
  • 2021/22: $4.5m
  • 2022/23: $3.5m
upload_2021-2-23_14-40-3.png

If Colorado retains $1m per season ($3m total) that would bring it down to $6.69m.

At that number the trade effectively saves Anaheim $4.26m over the length of the contract ($10.95m - $6.69m):
  • Henrique ($10.95m / 4 years) for Compher ($6.69m / 3 years).

6. Now, you might say that buying out Henrique would save $5.82m (as per point #2 above), which is $1.56m more than the $4.26m this proposed trade would save them, so buying him out would be preferable, right?

Well, not necessarily.

This trade is essentially the same as Anaheim buying out Henrique AND acquiring Compher and having him play for them for 2.65 seasons for just $1.49m in real salary overall, at what is effectively an salary of just $588k per season ($1.56m/2.65 seasons).

This means that this trade would certainly be preferable to a buyout and also give them a super cheap 3rd line RW. And that's before considering that Anaheim would also be avoid having $1.9m of Henrique's buyout on the books until 2027. If they want to be competitive again by then that capspace would be useful.

The fact that Compher has 1 year less term than Henrique is also advantageous as it clears capspace in the 2023/24 season which is when Anaheim will realistically start being competitive again. Compher at a caphit of $2.5m x 2 would also be a contract that can be flipped as a deadline rental at some point before 2023.

--------------------

Hopefully this hasn't been too long or complex. I tried my best to logically make sense of how a Henrique trade to Colorado could be viable for both sides. Perhaps Anaheim prefer doing something else with Henrique though, or maybe just tweaking this proposal a little. Let's discuss...

Last edited:

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
I think your math is wrong. Compher is owed 4.5 mill next season and 3.5 the following season. I dont see how the AVs retaining a mill gets his real dollars down to 588k per season. They are also retaining almost 3 mill on Henrique so in essence they will be paying compher over 5 mill the next 2 seasons and pretty close to Henriques salary.

Ducks dont touch this. If they retain half on henrique they could get a much better deal then this.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I think your math is wrong. Compher is owed 4.5 mill next season and 3.5 the following season. I dont see how the AVs retaining a mill gets his real dollars down to 588k per season. They are also retaining almost 3 mill on Henrique so in essence they will be paying compher over 5 mill the next 2 seasons and pretty close to Henriques salary.

Ducks dont touch this. If they retain half on henrique they could get a much better deal then this.
Thanks for your feedback.

It seems that you've misunderstood the point I was making (which is probably my fault for not making a more succinct explanation).

Obviously Compher's caphit would be a bit higher, but keep in mind that actual money is more important to Anaheim right now than capspace. This trade would save Anaheim money overall compared to either keeping or buying out Henrique.

The $588k/season was the net difference between Henrique buyout VS Henrique buyout + Compher. Clearly if you can get a player that cheap in relative terms money wise it would be worth trading him instead of a buyout.

It's fair enough if Anaheim would decline this, but this is probably in the ballpark of what an offer from Colorado would have to look like to be viable if they did consider acquiring Henrique. If Anaheim can get a better deal from another team though that's fine too.

Mtler in Toronto

Mar 1, 2012
Toronto
:avs :ducks2

Avs need a 3C. Anaheim want to save $'s.

As such, I thought I'd explore the possibility of Henrique to Colorado.

How about this:

• Henrique ($2.825m retained) for Compher ($1m retained)

Allow me to explain my reasoning...

1. Henrique is owed $21.26m ($5.825 x 3.65*) until the end of his contract

*3 more years + 65% of this season remains.

View attachment 399490

2. If Anaheim buy him out this offseason they would pay $11.65m for the buyout, plus the remaining salary this season of $3.79m ($5.825m x 0.65), totalling $15.44m. They would thus save $5.82m on the $21.26m Henrique is owed.

Doing that however would put $1.9m of dead capspace on the books until 2027, which would obviously not be ideal if they're looking to be competitive in 2-3 years time.

View attachment 399491

3. If Anaheim trade him with $2.825m retained, they would owe $10.31m over the next 3.65 seasons, as outlined below. This would be $5.13m less than the cost of buying him out ($15.44m minus $10.31m), making a trade preferable to a buyout.
  • 2020/21: $2.825m x 0.65 (65% of the season remains)
  • 2021/22: $2.825m
  • 2022/23: $2.825m
  • 2023/24: $2.825m

* Enter Colorado *

4. Avs would take on Henrique at $3m x 3.65 seasons, so they would cover the remaining $10.95m on his contract.

From the Avs perspective, the yearly cap impact would be:
  • 2020/21: $3m + $1m (i.e. Henrique + retention on Compher)
  • 2021/22: $3m + $1m
  • 2022/23: $3m + $1m
  • 2023/24: $3m
Colorado would essentially have Henrique at 3C for effectively a $4m caphit until 2023, and then a $3m caphit in the last year.

5. As outlined below Compher is owed $9.69m over the next 2.65 seasons ($1.69m + $4.5m + $3.5m).
  • 2020/21: $2.6m x 0.65 = $1.69m
  • 2021/22: $4.5m
  • 2022/23: $3.5m
View attachment 399496

If Colorado retains $1m per season ($3m total) that would bring it down to $6.69m.

At that number the trade effectively saves Anaheim $4.26m over the length of the contract ($10.95m - $6.69m):
  • Henrique ($10.95m / 4 years) for Compher ($6.69m / 3 years).

6. Now, you might say that buying out Henrique would save $5.82m (as per point #2 above), which is $1.56m more than the $4.26m this proposed trade would save them, so buying him out would be preferable, right?

Well, not necessarily.

This trade is essentially the same as Anaheim buying out Henrique AND acquiring Compher and having him play for them for 2.65 seasons for just $1.49m in real salary overall, at what is effectively an salary of just $588k per season ($1.56m/2.65 seasons).

This means that this trade would certainly be preferable to a buyout and also give them a super cheap 3rd line RW. And that's before considering that Anaheim would also be avoid having $1.9m of Henrique's buyout on the books until 2027. If they want to be competitive again by then that capspace would be useful.

The fact that Compher has 1 year less term than Henrique is also advantageous as it clears capspace in the 2023/24 season which is when Anaheim will realistically start being competitive again. Compher at a caphit of $2.5m x 2 would also be a contract that can be flipped as a deadline rental at some point before 2023.

--------------------

Hopefully this hasn't been too long or complex. I tried my best to logically make sense of how a Henrique trade to Colorado could be viable for both sides. Perhaps Anaheim prefer doing something else with Henrique though, or maybe just tweaking this proposal a little. Let's discuss...

My head hurts

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Thanks for your feedback.

It seems that you've misunderstood the point I was making (which is probably my fault for not making a more succinct explanation).

Obviously Compher's caphit would be a bit higher, but keep in mind that actual money is more important to Anaheim right now than capspace. This trade would save Anaheim money overall compared to either keeping or buying out Henrique.

The $588k/season was the net difference between Henrique buyout VS Henrique buyout + Compher. Clearly if you can get a player that cheap in relative terms money wise it would be worth trading him instead of a buyout.

It's fair enough if Anaheim would decline this, but this is probably in the ballpark of what an offer from Colorado would have to look like to be viable if they did consider acquiring Henrique. If Anaheim can get a better deal from another team though that's fine too.

If real money is more important to the Ducks why do you think they would pay Compher 3.25 mill next year real money (while the AVs pay roughly 1.25 of the 4.5) plus 2.825 mill from retaining (6.075 total)? They would be paying Compher more then what is owed Henrique next year and the following year they would have to pay Compher 2.5 plus the 2.825 retained. So between the next 2 years the actual dollars savings is around 250k.

The last year of his deal could be bought out and that wouldn't be a significant difference from the 2.825 retained.

I just dont see a significant real dollar savings for the Ducks. They would do better playing him hoping for a bounce back or retain and trade him elsewhere.

Sorry I just dont see your logic with the buyout. Even if the Ducks do the buyout which i doubt they do they would save 5.825 which is way more than your proposal.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Zero chance Ducks retain almost $3M on Henrique. If it was a one year deal, then sure, but it's not.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
The Ducks could wait until after the expansion draft and retain $1-2 million per year for three years and find a trade partner without a bad contract coming back.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This is not the right move for the Avs. This would be an extremely short-sighted move to acquire Henrique, only to wish you had the cap space to sign your other players in the future. Go for a pending UFA or a guy on an RFA deal. Maybe a guy like Zacha who is cost controlled (but don’t know how Devils fans feel about him).

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
This is not the right move for the Avs. This would be an extremely short-sighted move to acquire Henrique, only to wish you had the cap space to sign your other players in the future. Go for a pending UFA or a guy on an RFA deal. Maybe a guy like Zacha who is cost controlled (but don’t know how Devils fans feel about him).
I agree with that assessment. Avs are probably better off making a simpler move for a 3C using futures at the deadline rather than taking on a 30+ contract with 3 year term.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
If Ducks retain 50% on Henrique he moves from capdump to value bet. JTC at 1M retained is not value at all. No reason for the Ducks to do it.

Reactions: YP44

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I know this isn't on topic as the thread is about Henrique, but would the Avs have any interest in Sutter? Sutter isn't a sexy name and he definitely hasn't lived up to his contract, but he has settled into a role as our #3C. He is not going to drive offense but he PK's and is over 50% on face offs. I might be called biased but Sutter looks better and is more involved on the ice then any of his stats would indicate.

For the Canucks, this season is over and management needs to do something to restore fans confidence. Getting an asset for an expiring contract would be the start. I think it would take max retention (50%) to make anyone interested and the return wouldn't be amazing but a pick or a prospect that's lost in the Avs organizational depth. Sutter is an upcoming UFA so this would be a rental and nothing more.

Canucks are not interested in trading 1 season of Sutter for 3 years of TJC or Donskoi. Canucks can't add to their current cap, and if the deal is cap neutral without an asset going to the Canucks, then the Nucks are better off keeping Sutter or looking for another team to take him. I would be happy if the Canucks could re-sign Sutter, it would just need to be for about 1/3 of what he is currently making.

To Avs: Sutter @ %50
To Canucks: ??

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I know this isn't on topic as the thread is about Henrique, but would the Avs have any interest in Sutter? Sutter isn't a sexy name and he definitely hasn't lived up to his contract, but he has settled into a role as our #3C. He is not going to drive offense but he PK's and is over 50% on face offs. I might be called biased but Sutter looks better and is more involved on the ice then any of his stats would indicate.

For the Canucks, this season is over and management needs to do something to restore fans confidence. Getting an asset for an expiring contract would be the start. I think it would take max retention (50%) to make anyone interested and the return wouldn't be amazing but a pick or a prospect that's lost in the Avs organizational depth. Sutter is an upcoming UFA so this would be a rental and nothing more.

Canucks are not interested in trading 1 season of Sutter for 3 years of TJC or Donskoi. Canucks can't add to their current cap, and if the deal is cap neutral without an asset going to the Canucks, then the Nucks are better off keeping Sutter or looking for another team to take him. I would be happy if the Canucks could re-sign Sutter, it would just need to be for about 1/3 of what he is currently making.

To Avs: Sutter @ %50
To Canucks: ??

I don't think the Avs would be a suitor. :laugh:o_O:sarcasm:

Reactions: Boondock

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I don't think the Ducks should have to take back a salary dump if they are retaining 50% on Henrique.

Henrique at under 6 mil is a terrible contract. Henrique at under 3 mil is totally worth it. Especially if he gets back to where he was last season. That will be a steal.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Given that teams can only be on the retain hook for up to 3 contracts at a time, I don't think two teams want to mutually retain on both sides of a deal with players with years remaining, and limit their decisionmaking going forward. It seems to make more sense that some middle ground is found that results in only one team (the one in more desperate need of relief) pays the price of tying up one of its three retention slots, and compensation is balanced around that and no retention in the opposite deal.

Has there ever been a deal in retained-salary history where both teams retained part of the multi-years-remaining contract they sent out?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs are likely to pass. I understand the retention, but Henrique is having a worse season, older and signed longer than Compher. Sakic is extending deals 3-4 years out. He has 3.5 years remaining. It’s a terrible deal and would rather AVs pass.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Do you not think that 3C is a need for Colorado?

In the grand scheme of things, I'd call it more of a "would be nice to have" and not really a "need". The fact that we really don't have any bigger issues with the roster doesn't change that.

Or do you really think that Compher playing 3C will be the primary reason we don't win the Cup this season? I'd guess it'll be something like injuries, or MAF standing on his head in the playoffs.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
In the grand scheme of things, I'd call it more of a "would be nice to have" and not really a "need". The fact that we really don't have any bigger issues with the roster doesn't change that.

Or do you really think that Compher playing 3C will be the primary reason we don't win the Cup this season? I'd guess it'll be something like injuries, or MAF standing on his head in the playoffs.
If Avs had a better 3C and thus a strong 3rd line they'd have been much more of a match against Dallas in the playoffs. Faksa and Dickinson made a very noticeable impact on the series whereas our 3rd line floundered badly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->