Henriks comments

goodluckchuck

Apr 22, 2012
Where did you find that quote OP?

i was reading the previews for tonights game.

there was also a quote from Garrisson.

"Obviously, that's not the way we wanted to end it," said Jason Garrison, who tallied his sixth goal and has five points in five games. "They capitalized on their opportunities."

Not only could Vancouver at least have scraped out a point if it had held steady just moments longer, the Canucks also squandered a lead twice in the final period. They own a five-point edge over Minnesota for first place in the Northwest.

"We maybe thought they were going to fold, but they came out hard, they out-competed us," said Henrik Sedin. "That can't happen. That is why they beat us."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/canucks-predators-preview-051206386--nhl.html

and to that guy who said Boston gave up a 3 - 0 series lead. Yes they did. But then the next year they won the cup. Does anyone remember that Boston gave up a series lead or do they remember that they won the cup? I only remember their cup win. Nobody even mentions the fact that boston was one of 4 teams that lost a series up 3 - 0. They redeemed themselves.

Canucks SC run, they didn't win and they almost choked a series up 3 - 0. And then the next year they lost in the first round. Had Canucks won that year or the year after, nobody here would take Henrik's comments too seriously.

And frankly this type of quote is not something you would expect a team captain to blurt out in the media. It brings out more questions.

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Being fine with losing during the regular season makes it that much easier to be fine with losing in the post season. Having a "playoffs are all that matter" mentality is what's damaging the team. The 2010-2011 team had a much different attitude than the 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 teams, where they considered every game crucial and wanted to win every game, even against bottom feeders. This current team just seems like it's waiting for the playoffs.. people want to say that only the last 4-16 games of the season matter, but what you do up until the playoffs is what builds the character of the team.

I don't like our team's chances in these playoffs because they haven't played like winners in over two years. Last year was the same- coasted to the playoffs on talent/goaltending, didn't really feel like trying after they beat Boston. Teams like the Canucks get roasted in the playoffs by teams who had to fight tooth and nail just to get in when the talent level isn't absurdly disproportionate.

Anyways, yes, teams let games slip away at times. This game isn't a cause for concern- simply just a consequence of having a complacent attitude about the regular season.

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
your point WOULD be valid HAD we not choke away some playoff series (yes the chicago one counts too).

At this point, I think why Chicago came back from 3 - 0 was exactly the mindset that Henrik mentioned. They thought Chicago would fold being down 3 - 0. They most likely thought Boston would fold being down 2 - 0, and they most certainly thought that they can make quick work of LA even without Daniel in the lineup.

When you have a team that is known for choking in the 3rd as well as in the playoffs, yes it is right to extrapolate every comment. Especially when the team captain admits that they thought the team would just roll over and let them win.

This is the NHL, not some peewee competition. Every team has the chance to beat the opposition.

I agree with your Chicago claim, but Chicago did get a huge lift from Bolland coming back.

I don't really agree with your Boston claim because the team was physically dominated and our goaltending was polarizing while their goaltender won the Conn Smythe.

As for LAK... well, they won the Cup last year. Not really a case of the Canucks not caring, unless you are suggesting that every other team didn't care. Their team was stacked, Quick played out of his mind, Doughty played out of his mind, they had 4 awesome two-way forwards with size, grit, skill, etc. On paper, their team was better than ours.. up to that point, they had underachieved.

goodluckchuck

Apr 22, 2012
I just want to clarify that this is not about the loss to AVS when the playoffs are a lock for the canucks.

I am referring to the team captains quote on why they lost. That's the bigger issue.

arsmaster*

Don't see any thing wrong with the comments. He spoke the truth.

Would we have liked to hear him say that Colorado was the better team and we were lucky to be close? That we played as good as we possibly could have and still lost? I take solace that they know they played down to the opposition.

It's true the underestimated the Avs and got beat. They know why they lost, and they need to remedy it.

Really don't see any issue in what was said, moreso in the mentality beyond what was said.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
We just gotta give 110% and, the good lord willing, things will work out. Listen up meat, er Henrik, this is important. We gotta play em one day at a time. I'm just happy to be here...hope I can help the hockey club.
- Crash Davis

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
and to that guy who said Boston gave up a 3 - 0 series lead. Yes they did. But then the next year they won the cup. Does anyone remember that Boston gave up a series lead or do they remember that they won the cup? I only remember their cup win. Nobody even mentions the fact that boston was one of 4 teams that lost a series up 3 - 0. They redeemed themselves.

Canucks SC run, they didn't win and they almost choked a series up 3 - 0. And then the next year they lost in the first round. Had Canucks won that year or the year after, nobody here would take Henrik's comments too seriously.

and thats indicative of your level of failure to understand that being a game away from winning and winning the cup after that game are only very marginally different. his leadership should not be in question because of the difference of one game

And frankly this type of quote is not something you would expect a team captain to blurt out in the media. It brings out more questions.

yes, it is. no, it doesn't.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
yes, it is. no, it doesn't.

Like it or not, he's right. It was a poor judgment thing to say, everyone makes mistakes but the media will jump on this every time we lose in the playoffs now. He shouldn't have said it, it makes for a real good media quote and more food for trolls/media when they need a story.

Like most times, it seems that we could have been better off without this. To take a term from Breaking Bad, it was a real half measure move by Henrik. He could have called himself and the team out in a more profound way or he could have said nothing. It needs to be mind-numbingly clear that the kind of performance they had on Saturday is not acceptable. Did he achieve that with his quotes? Who knows. Will any of us ever know? Probably not.

The point here is, he and the team better be able to right the wrong. Actions are louder than words.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
He tell it as it is and he takes issues with what the team did; an assessment of the team that they stopped playing and that it is not acceptable. That is what the team needs to hear, in the locker room (you bet) and get it served to the public as well. The messages is also that this was a game there was no reason to lose, it was winnable if the team wanted to.

What do people expect to hear? Lies? That he says that the team couldn't win at all cost? Some manly one-liner? Some fans are sad people.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
its a fine thing for him to say. im literally happier that he said it than the opposite, and you can see by the posts in this thread that a number of other posters are as well

i dont think henrik cares about forums trolls and media garbage. he thinks a thing and then he said the thing, and im okay with that

so - it's a thing i would expect from a captain doing his job, and it doesn't raise any questions that weren't already there. i don't think he's (that poster) right

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
He tell it as it is and he takes issues with what the team did; an assessment of the team that they stopped playing and that it is not acceptable. That is what the team needs to hear, in the locker room (you bet) and get it served to the public as well. The messages is also that this was a game there was no reason to lose, it was winnable if the team wanted to.

What do people expect to hear? Lies? That he says that the team couldn't win at all cost? Some manly one-liner? Some fans are sad people.

i think people expect a long confession about the problems they perceive that the team has, followed by a Quick Action Plan Of Resolution +1 to solve the issue

Action #1: henrik steps down
Action #2: bieksa takes over!!
Action #3: Bieksa: "ok you lazy *****!! time to kill everyone! YEah" *kills first nashville player he sees during warmups, screams LEADERSHIP* until the police take him away

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Sure, I have no issue with that. Just the idea that a single reg season game and some throw-away comments to the media are indicators of a greater problem. They aren't. Watching the games, esp. last year's playoffs ... perhaps.

Posters tend to read a lot into these types of quotes

/AV and MG

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Like it or not, he's right. It was a poor judgment thing to say, everyone makes mistakes but the media will jump on this every time we lose in the playoffs now. He shouldn't have said it, it makes for a real good media quote and more food for trolls/media when they need a story.

Like most times, it seems that we could have been better off without this. To take a term from Breaking Bad, it was a real half measure move by Henrik. He could have called himself and the team out in a more profound way or he could have said nothing. It needs to be mind-numbingly clear that the kind of performance they had on Saturday is not acceptable. Did he achieve that with his quotes? Who knows. Will any of us ever know? Probably not.

The point here is, he and the team better be able to right the wrong. Actions are louder than words.

This isn't the first time that Henrik has said things that have concerned me. Near the start of the season in that game vs. the oilers, he tlalked about how it may have been harder for the team to get up for the game because it was an away game against the oilers. Those aren't his exact words, but that was his meaning.

This team doesn't have a killer instinct. They should be feasting on these crappy teams, instead of coming out with some ******** excuse like this. The Sedins need to be ruthless like Toews. That is the type of captain this team needs when it looks like they are playing unmotivated at times. Someone to kick them into gear and lead them.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
I really like Henrik's comment. It's his way of telling his team to step it up, without actually having to say it to them directly.

Nov 1, 2011
How are people still talking about the loss?

I lost $150 (would have won $200...so a $350 swing), so I know why I am a little choked by the loss but don't really get it for everyone else.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Amazing we have won 9 of 12, and we lose one game and the whining starts again. Henrik has been nothing but class, you expect him to be a perfect politician all the time and say just the right thing?

We have 7 games to go and 7 points in that period should give us the division. Would you rather be in minni's shoes right now, after they had the division lead just 2 weeks ago or so.

Hopefully we go into the playoffs with a fairly complete roster and a reasonably rested team.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Clearly we need more threads about our 3rd loss in the last 10 games.

The sky is falling... Etc.
It's almost playoff time. 3 losses in 10 games can put you one game away frrom losing in the conference finals. :sarcasm:

But really, at this point it's more about seeing them playing well game after game.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
boston choked away a 3-0 lead and lost game 7 after throwing away a 3-0 lead in game 7. the next year they won the cup. oh wait, that doesn't fit the narrative here, quickly, pretend it didnt happen

The Canucks choked away a 2-0 and 3-2 lead and got shutout in game 7.

The next year they got embarrassed in the first round.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The Canucks choked away a 2-0 and 3-2 lead and got shutout in game 7.

The next year they got embarrassed in the first round.

The point being made is that "choking" is a temporal description that applies to a specific outcome, but isn't necessarily predictive of the future. In other words "choking" in a certain instance does not necessarily mean a team will always be "chokers" in all future instances. Boston pulled off perhaps the greatest "choke job" in NHL history in 2010, then won the cup in 2011. Were they "chokers" in 2011? By all accounts, yes. Did that prevent them from winning a cup with almost exactly the same line-up one year later? No. Choking is a fan's term, typically used out of frustration and emotion. As a basis for any sort of useful analysis, not so much ...

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
:laugh: Story of our franchise. :facepalm: That's why our stadium has a statue of a guy surrendering outside of it.

It has to be the dumbest choice for a statue in the history of the game. A guy complaining. ha ha ha. Which kind of fits in with this thread ... and the fan base ... and ... hmmm ... well, maybe it is the right statue.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
I don't know about everyone else but the Colorado game on Saturday had all the makings of a loss, and I'm sure many of us saw it coming from a mile away. The team had been playing well recently, Minnesota stumbled a little bit to leave us a microscopic buffer, the game is in the afternoon, on the road, at altitude. The only problem? It's against the worst team in the league. The game was terrible, had it been against any decent opponent we would have lost and blamed the travel/start time/altitude/whatever. But the team we played was awful, so even with all those excuses we could easily have won. Then the captain tries to say something meaningful about it, something beyond the standard comments and we all jump on him. Sorry to me this is a non story

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
We have 7 games to go and 7 points in that period should give us the division. Would you rather be in minni's shoes right now, after they had the division lead just 2 weeks ago or so.

Different teams have different expectations. Minny fans should be happy as a bubble team considering they have 1 NHL pairing this season.

This Canucks team has a tendency to coast and try to turn it on when it matters. Many NHL players have pointed out how cocky the Canucks act. It's a valid criticism that our effort level lacking at most times.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Whatever Hank is being honest, its refreshing to hear. What really matters is how they play from here on out into playoffs and beyond.

Wizeman*

Henriks comments were honest in my opinion. They need to knuckle down if they want the points. There are no free points in the NHL now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->