Henriks comments

goodluckchuck

Apr 22, 2012
"We maybe thought they were going to fold, but they came out hard, they out-competed us, That can't happen. That is why they beat us."

I am sorry but this team will never change. This is coming from team captain. Is that what they discuss in the locker room and on the bench.?

You would think after years of disappointment and knowing what's at stake, the team captain and leader would be pushing the team to work hard but instead he confesses that they thought an nhl caliber team will just let them win.

Am I looking too much into this or is this something of an alarm being that there's only 2 weeks left till the playoffs.

Dado

They took a breather and went in over-confident. It happens. But I do agree this leadership team seems to have a bit of a history with "it happens", so while I wouldn't be hitting the panic button, I wouldn't exactly be ignoring it, either.

We'll know everything in about 3 weeks....

goodluckchuck

Apr 22, 2012
Reading too much into it, IMO. Just watch the games.

Well they did give up 3 goals and were up twice in the 3rd so very consistent with what Henrik said.

Anyways, maybe it's not too serious since they still have some games left to work out the kinks.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
They couldn't get the puck out of their own end all game long and there were two brutal give-aways. To me it was just a one off. That said I'm not confident going into the playoffs.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Would you rather him just say, "Yeah you know, some of the bounces just didnt go our way. We need a full 60 minute effort......" ?

Personally I appreciate the honesty.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I am sorry but this team will never change. This is coming from team captain. Is that what they discuss in the locker room and on the bench.?

You would think after years of disappointment and knowing what's at stake, the team captain and leader would be pushing the team to work hard but instead he confesses that they thought an nhl caliber team will just let them win.

Am I looking too much into this or is this something of an alarm being that there's only 2 weeks left till the playoffs.

No big deal. Happens all the time to all teams in the NHL, not just the Canucks. Also sounds like a pretty stock media quote as well. What else is he going to say? "Well if Kevin doesn't **** the bed and make that stupid-ass pass for the first goal ..." Instead all teams diffuse the blame by saying the other team outworked them, etc etc. Don't confuse what gets said to the media with what gets said/is believed in the locker room. Two totally different things ...

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

I totally agree with you, and this is a major reason why this team lacks leadership. They take nights off, they quit on themselves when the going gets tough and they get down early by 2, and there appears to be a lack of heart and swagger. This is highly concerning.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
No big deal. Happens all the time to all teams in the NHL, not just the Canucks. Also sounds like a pretty stock media quote as well. What else is he going to say? "Well if Kevin doesn't **** the bed and make that stupid-ass pass for the first goal ..." Instead all teams diffuse the blame by saying the other team outworked them, etc etc. Don't confuse what gets said to the media with what gets said/is believed in the locker room. Two totally different things ...

this so much

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I totally agree with you, and this is a major reason why this team lacks leadership. They take nights off, they quit on themselves when the going gets tough and they get down early by 2, and there appears to be a lack of heart and swagger. This is highly concerning.

Every team does this, most to an even greater degree than the Canucks who are probably one of the most consistent regular-season teams over the past 3-4 years. Expecting any team to be 100% on every night for 82 (or 48) games a year is a ridiculous standard that no team in the history of the NHL has ever met. Extrapolating some throw-away comments made to the media into a lack of heart/care/intensity is a fools exercise. Judge them based on results - overall results, not a single game here and there - not on media comments.

That said, I too have concerns about this team in the playoffs, but not for the reasons given by the OP.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
well at least he didn't come out and say

uhhh they're a good team and they worked hard and uhhh got too many shots on net next time uhh we need to shoot the puck more and uhhh compete level needs to be better

is that what you wanted to hear?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Every team does this, most to an even greater degree than the Canucks who are probably one of the most consistent regular-season teams over the past 3-4 years. Expecting any team to be 100% on every night for 82 (or 48) games a year is a ridiculous standard that no team in the history of the NHL has ever met. Extrapolating some throw-away comments made to the media into a lack of heart/care/intensity is a fools exercise. Judge them based on results - overall results, not a single game here and there - not on media comments.

That said, I too have concerns about this team in the playoffs, but not for the reasons given by the OP.

I'm judging this team, and coming to conclusions by what I've seen since June 1, 2011.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
damnit, i wish we had more heart and swagger. can anybody inject this team with heart and swagger thank you

goodluckchuck

Apr 22, 2012

your point WOULD be valid HAD we not choke away some playoff series (yes the chicago one counts too).

At this point, I think why Chicago came back from 3 - 0 was exactly the mindset that Henrik mentioned. They thought Chicago would fold being down 3 - 0. They most likely thought Boston would fold being down 2 - 0, and they most certainly thought that they can make quick work of LA even without Daniel in the lineup.

When you have a team that is known for choking in the 3rd as well as in the playoffs, yes it is right to extrapolate every comment. Especially when the team captain admits that they thought the team would just roll over and let them win.

This is the NHL, not some peewee competition. Every team has the chance to beat the opposition.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
boston choked away a 3-0 lead and lost game 7 after throwing away a 3-0 lead in game 7. the next year they won the cup. oh wait, that doesn't fit the narrative here, quickly, pretend it didnt happen

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
over the course of the last few years..........media/fans complain if a player(s) comment in a genric way............

media/fans complain if a player(s) comment in way thats not generic........

and finally in hockey crazed markets across the continent........is realizing the media...its professionlism...its accuarcy....and the number of times a question is asked in a 10-15 min period.

so a interviewer goes to player A and gets a quote or two ..comes over to player B and catches the tailend of a quote or misses the important clairfier ...and posts the response
and another reporter retweets or rereports the reporter...misinformed quote

case in example players should just do the same boring text over and over....Bryz....says I dont care...........out of context ...it means he doesnt care if hes traded........and it has been reported that way...by unrespectable and repectable media/reporters

in reality over the context of the whole interview from the start he doesnt care about speculating over what could happen...esp stuff he has no control over......

so before snapshotting comments ...listen to the whole media scrum.....to see what is actually said........

and reguardless of what is said or not said or implied......it will end up coming down to the talk on the ice in the playoffs

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'm not overly concerned but I'm not satisfied either.

Teams take nights off. It's what they do. No team hasn't done that over the course of a season. What I am unsatisfied about is that while some very good teams, teams that I expect to go deep into the playoffs (Pittsburgh, Boston, Chicago) can find ways to win...would you see any of those teams just give up if they were down 3 or 4-0 in the first period? No. They are still playing there game and trying to win a hockey game. It seems, that as of late we just go into a shell, admit defeat and move on to the next game. Newsflash: You can't do that in the playoffs. Good teams find ways to battle back and maybe even win. At times, it seems this team finds ways to lose.

Henrik shouldn't have said what he said first. You shouldn't say that about any team, no less the team that was just called out by their goalie for doing exactly what Henrik said they thought the Avs were going to do. The Avs have played well after Giguere said that and quite frankly, the Canucks should have known that. I think any reasonable fan expected the Avs weren't going to roll over after those comments. By admitting this, you are basically bringing more unnecessary questions with you to the playoffs.

Where did you find that quote OP?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I'm judging this team, and coming to conclusions by what I've seen since June 1, 2011.

Sure, I have no issue with that. Just the idea that a single reg season game and some throw-away comments to the media are indicators of a greater problem. They aren't. Watching the games, esp. last year's playoffs ... perhaps.

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
if a player makes a bad giveaway or a goalie has a terrible game or the pp or pk let the team down.....

a true team will internally acknowledge the breakdowns....accept the blame as a team ...
and vice versa share the crdit when playing well....

because its not about pleasing the fans media etc about assesing blame to individuals ...its about shutting the door on those distractions and working hard as a team(with the team you have......regular roster or injured roster)

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
your point WOULD be valid HAD we not choke away some playoff series (yes the chicago one counts too).

At this point, I think why Chicago came back from 3 - 0 was exactly the mindset that Henrik mentioned. They thought Chicago would fold being down 3 - 0. They most likely thought Boston would fold being down 2 - 0, and they most certainly thought that they can make quick work of LA even without Daniel in the lineup.

When you have a team that is known for choking in the 3rd as well as in the playoffs, yes it is right to extrapolate every comment. Especially when the team captain admits that they thought the team would just roll over and let them win.

This is the NHL, not some peewee competition. Every team has the chance to beat the opposition.

Well you are certainly free to extrapolate every comment if you like, but it doesn't mean you are right. And "choking" is a pejorative term that, while it certainly has emotional effect, isn't terribly useful in terms of analysis. Did the Canucks "choke" in 2010 against a visibly superior Chicago team? I find that a stretch. Did they choke against a healthier, overpowering Boston team in 2011? I don't think that is quite accurate either. I can perhaps give you the 2010 loss to Chicago, where the Canucks were favoured. Again, I have no problem with making certain inferences about the team based on their historical performance (even if you and I might disagree on whether they "choked") but to do so based on a single regular season game (or the handful that occur over the course of a full season) is faulty reasoning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad