News Article: Henrik Zetterberg to be named next Captain

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
2z70jza.png

RedWingsNow*

GOod for Z.

Datsyuk, IMO, is the on-ice leader and embodies the spirit of a captain. But whatever.

FabricDetails

I know enough to know I know nothing
Mar 30, 2009
Anybody from Sweden want to share any Swedish media links about Zetterberg as the new Wings captain? Perhaps some soundbites from Lidstrom about the matter?

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
If Datsyuk had Z's english personality I think he would have been the captain.

Datsyuk is quiet outside of the Wings room. He could have easily learned English by now, Ovechkin spoke pretty well by the time he was named Caps captain, and Datsyuk has been playing in NA many more years and is obviously very intelligent.

RedWingsNow*

Datsyuk is quiet outside of the Wings room. He could have easily learned English by now, Ovechkin spoke pretty well by the time he was named Caps captain, and Datsyuk has been playing in NA many more years and is obviously very intelligent.

Being vocal matters.
But Lidstrom and Yzerman weren't "rah-rah" types.
They led by example and rarely addressed the team.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If Datsyuk had Z's english I think he would have been the captain.

Doubtful they have been doing this for awhile. They put him next to Yzerman when he came over, he was a leader before he left Sweden. He didn't need to be convinced to put on a letter. He has had an open dialogue with management and coaches to a higher level this entire time. On top of that he has a lifelong contract with quite a bit more time on it and no desire to go home or the threat of that.

If you listened to the guys from the room it didn't sound like it was even a close thought. Datsyuk himself seemed to think Zetterberg is the perfect choice. If they had the players pick the captain he would likely be the winner. The signs were all there, Datsyuk is an important leader but Zetterberg is the obvious guy for everyone on the team now that Lidstrom has left. Their comments show this and all the signs and other factors point to it, that is not a slight to Datsyuk but really a credit to who Zetterberg is.

Last edited:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Agreed. Datsyuk's inability to speak English is greatly exaggerated. Plus, like yzerman, who needs to talk?

Why does the debate need to be one or the other? Z will be just as good of a captain as Datsyuk would have been. They've both been on and off the ice leaders. Z's performance during the back-to-back finals is all you need to know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->