News Article: Henrik Zetterberg to be named next Captain

Eyeblink

The Authority
May 27, 2011
Wisconsin Dells, WI
What a feeling to be back on HFBoards after a long break. Z was the right choice for the new captain, but I think Kronner would've been able to take care of captain's duties too.

Congrats, Hank! Make us proud.

EDIT: Lol, ProPAIN, I didn't steal the "make us proud" line from you. :laugh:

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
I would have preferred Kronner, but I guess I don't know what goes on behind the scenes like the coaches and rest of the organization do.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
C - Zetterberg
A - Kronwall
A - Datsyuk

My guess is the will continue rolling the three A system with Filppula getting the other one. Remember Lidstrom named him at his retirement press conference as one of those guys that could really help on the leadership front moving forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

XO

Nov 4, 2009
Good choice. It was always going to be Hank I'm sure.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Obivous choice but the right one. Congratulations Henrik. Really looking forward to investing more time into following the Wings more this year.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Zetterberg will be officially named captain on tuesday before the red and white game

The Red Wings are starting their campaign to win back fans angered by the lockout by having a free Red and White Game on Tuesday.

They plan to use that opportunity to anoint Henrik Zetterberg as the new captain. The announcement will be made before the 6 p.m. start of the game.

Zetterberg, 32, takes over for Nicklas Lidstrom, who retired last May. It's a job the Wings have been grooming Zetterberg for since last decade, when they placed his locker next to then-captain Steve Yzerman.

http://www.freep.com/article/201301...troitRedWings+(freep.com+|+Detroit+Red+Wings)

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
My friends and I were talking about something rather nitpicky in terms of Z as the new captain.

It will be a little interesting to see how well Z deals with an increased demand from the media vultures. In regards to the role as team captain, I'm curious if Z will dedicate the time and effort to become more well-spoken and exhibit a more ideal kind of persona.

I know what some of you are already thinking. "That stuff shouldn't matter!!! What matters most is what he does on the ice and in the locker room!"

And I agree, but the reality is that some people will be really annoyed with how often Z has to use speech fillers such as "uh" every time he speaks to the media. Plus his demeanor seems to be either depressed, irritated or neutral, which doesn't come off so great to others who don't really know you as well as teammates might. In comparison, Lidstrom was probably one of the best at making media members feel like they're not an inconvenience to his life.

I'm just a little curious as to how much he'll care. Maybe he won't. If he doesn't then I honestly won't think any less of him. All I really care about in the end is if the team wins games. To be honest, it's a little sad to me that this matters enough for me (or any of us) to bring it up, but I guess as they say, it's the way the world works.

crashman

My friends and I were talking about something rather nitpicky in terms of Z as the new captain.

It will be a little interesting to see how well Z deals with an increased demand from the media vultures. In regards to the role as team captain, I'm curious if Z will dedicate the time and effort to become more well-spoken and exhibit a more ideal kind of persona.

I know what some of you are already thinking. "That stuff shouldn't matter!!! What matters most is what he does on the ice and in the locker room!"

And I agree, but the reality is that some people will be really annoyed with how often Z has to use speech fillers such as "uh" every time he speaks to the media. Plus his demeanor seems to be either depressed, irritated or neutral, which doesn't come off so great to others who don't really know you as well as teammates might. In comparison, Lidstrom was probably one of the best at making media members feel like they're not an inconvenience to his life.

I'm just a little curious as to how much he'll care. Maybe he won't. If he doesn't then I honestly won't think any less of him. All I really care about in the end is if the team wins games. To be honest, it's a little sad to me that this matters enough for me (or any of us) to bring it up, but I guess as they say, it's the way the world works.

Just from observing the guy over the years, I think he wants the added "responsibility". He has known this was coming for a while now, just like we did. It's really not much of a change for him, he's been a star in this league for a while.

As far as his demeanor, I think that's just how Swedish people roll. Lidstrom was unique in that the uninformed would have never even known he was from a foreign country. Lids was pretty well spoken, but he put his media face on just like any hockey player, Z just has a different media face. Truth is, we don't know how these guys act in the locker room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad