Henrik Zetterberg Leading Detroit Red Wings to Recent Success

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
At 36 years old, Henrik Zetterberg is not the same player that won the Conn Smythe Trophy in 2008 after totaling 13 goals and 14 assists on the way to winning the Stanley Cup. Hank, as he is known by fans and teammates alike, has forgotten his age and the toll that 19 seasons of hockey have put his body through. His 20 points through 27 games leads the team, and his six goals are tied for second behind Dylan Larkin‘s team-leading eight. He has been the key reason behind the Detroit Red Wings recent success.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2016/12...-leading-detroit-red-wings-to-recent-success/

Lgw

Feb 4, 2016
Don't forget he had no training camp and played his way into shape. His stats the first ten games were not nearly as good as his last ten. The big question is can he maintain it, or is he getting overplayed enough that it will hurt in the long run?

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Don't forget he had no training camp and played his way into shape. His stats the first ten games were not nearly as good as his last ten. The big question is can he maintain it, or is he getting overplayed enough that it will hurt in the long run?

There is no "long run" for Zetterberg anymore. He's at the hockey equivalent of his 70s or 80s, and probably the latter given that he's played the extended season for his entire career. Every day that he isn't deteriorating is a gift, and after last season, I think most Wings fans are well aware how quickly he can slide back down.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I have a hard time believing that this is the Z we'll get in February, if he keeps getting 19+ minutes a night. Not sure what you could do differently, if you're still trying to win games, but it seemed pretty clear that he can't take this kind of usage last year.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
He still needs to be credited for an assist on Mantha's goal. Should be 21 points. Oh well

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I have a hard time believing that this is the Z we'll get in February, if he keeps getting 19+ minutes a night. Not sure what you could do differently, if you're still trying to win games, but it seemed pretty clear that he can't take this kind of usage last year.

Agreed.

Unsurprisingly, Blashill is leaning on Zetterberg just as hard as he did last season.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yeah wish we could keep him to 17-18 minutes. Sounds like he's taking more 'maintenance days' this year though. Maybe that will help.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Yeah wish we could keep him to 17-18 minutes. Sounds like he's taking more 'maintenance days' this year though. Maybe that will help.

Yeah, if we had the team where we could play him at that 15-16 minute level, I'd be really optimistic about our chances at the end of the season. 17-18 would at least be *far* better, and I think if we did get into the playoffs, would help him be more effective. I'll hold out hope, it's just really depressing to see a guy like him fall apart so completely at the end of the year.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Saw on twitter that Zetterberg has the 2nd longest average shift length in the NHL among all players. That may be a large reason his minutes can't be dropped to a more reasonable 17/game.

37 (?) year olds who can barely skate shouldn't be staying out on the ice for shifts that are longer than the entire rest of the NHL.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Saw on twitter that Zetterberg has the 2nd longest average shift length in the NHL among all players. That may be a large reason his minutes can't be dropped to a more reasonable 17/game.

37 (?) year olds who can barely skate shouldn't be staying out on the ice for shifts that are longer than the entire rest of the NHL.

Wow, man. You literally refuse to give him ANY credit.

Jeez, HF...

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004

Do you think he's ignoring calls for a shift change and staying out on the ice longer than his coach wants?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Do you think he's ignoring calls for a shift change and staying out on the ice longer than his coach wants?

I have no clue.

Whatever the reason is, a really old guy who can barely skate as is shouldn't have the longest shifts in the NHL.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
I have no clue.

Whatever the reason is, a really old guy who can barely skate as is shouldn't have the longest shifts in the NHL.

No hyperbole there. :laugh:

I do agree that he shouldn't have the longest shifts in the NHL. That's Blashill's fault.

hopefully something changes or Z manages to hold up better in the second half of the season than he did last year.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
No hyperbole there. :laugh:

I do agree that he shouldn't have the longest shifts in the NHL. That's Blashill's fault.

hopefully something changes or Z manages to hold up better in the second half of the season than he did last year.

I'm talking relative to other NHLers obviously. He's one of the slowest/worst skaters in the NHL at this point in this career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad