Henrik Sedin passes Markus Naslund

Outside99*

If I'm not mistaken it took him 21 more games than Naslund, I'd be more impressed if he did it in fewer games as it stands it was inevitable baring some horrific accident.

reaction from the fans was nice though.

Henrik did it while maintaining a +199.

Naslund? +3

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Naslund? +3

Impressive, but I'd consider the goaltending/defensive corps/coaches that each player had during their time here. For example, Naslund had Crawford (not noted for knowing what defense is) as a coach, and Cloutier (not noted for knowing how to stop a puck) as a goaltender.

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
Naslund was 23 before his first full season with the canucks (10 gp in the season prior) whereas Henrik was 20 in his first season.

Pretty large difference -- not to mention the state of the team/place on the depth chart.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Henrik has been a better Canuck than Naslund in terms of both career achievement and prime.

I'm not disagreaing about that.

My point was that Naslund had played 3 seasons prior to being a Canuck.

His last year with Pittsburgh he had 52 points.

Someone said that they would be more impressed if Henrick had set the record in fewer games with the Canucks than Naslund did.

My contention is that Naslund came in as a far more established player than Henrik and thus had more opportunities early to put up points.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

Naslund? +3

Impressive, but I'd consider the goaltending/defensive corps/coaches that each player had during their time here. For example, Naslund had Crawford (not noted for knowing what defense is) as a coach, and Cloutier (not noted for knowing how to stop a puck) as a goaltender.

it's not quite as night and day as the numbers look, but we all saw both those guys. there was a massive difference in defensive responsibility.

i mean, henrik is far and away this franchise's career +/-. the only two guys within 100 of him are his linemates. naslund had a couple of good +/- years during his peak, but was also only +4 the year he choked away the art ross trophy.

also worth noting that naslund's longtime linemate, brendan morrison, is a career +45 as a canuck.

and that henrik was +50 in the five seasons he played under crow.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
it's not quite as night and day as the numbers look, but we all saw both those guys. there was a massive difference in defensive responsibility.

i mean, henrik is far and away this franchise's career +/-. the only two guys within 100 of him are his linemates. naslund had a couple of good +/- years during his peak, but was also only +4 the year he choked away the art ross trophy.

also worth noting that naslund's longtime linemate, brendan morrison, is a career +45 as a canuck.

Very good points.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

All good points, and well made. Henrik has also shown himself to be a capable PK'er when AV actually lets him, something Naslund was never able to do.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Best player to ever wear the Canucks jersey, hands down.

best career as a canuck? yeah, henrik.

best player to spend the majority of his career in vancouver? in an all-time sense, luongo is probably going to end up ranked highest if you did a list of, say, the top 500 players of all time.

best player to ever put on the jersey? umm, nevermind.

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
What about Thomas Gradin? Too far back in time? He has once been voted as the best forward in Canucks. I should say he belongs somewhere on that list.

Us older people tend to remember old days as better, so in my book Gradin was better than Naslund for instance. Back in that time NHL and coaches were not used with Europeans in the same way as today which made it a little harder to come thru. In the past only the best players left Europe for NHL and they had troubles at times to be accepted or adapt. Today there are players like Mikael Samuelsson in NHL (!?) With that I would say yesterday's talent would have alot more success today.

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
I think there's no question that either Sedin are better than Naslund was, and that neither Sedin are as good as Bure was.

Naslund had a couple seasons with Bert where they tore everything apart, wih lots of nice goals. But in long term, Sedins are better.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
What about Thomas Gradin? Too far back in time? He has once been voted as the best forward in Canucks. I should say he belongs somewhere on that list.

Us older people tend to remember old days as better, so in my book Gradin was better than Naslund for instance. Back in that time NHL and coaches were not used with Europeans in the same way as today which made it a little harder to come thru. In the past only the best players left Europe for NHL and they had troubles at times to be accepted or adapt. Today there are players like Mikael Samuelsson in NHL (!?) With that I would say yesterday's talent would have alot more success today.

Some years ago (2009), but Gradin is not forgotten (Top 25 Canucks all time voting):
1. Pavel Bure - 47.90% - (E)
2. Trevor Linden - 65.94% - (E)
3. Markus Naslund - 46.22% - (E)
4. Stan Smyl - 45.45% - (+1)
5. Roberto Luongo - 52.94% - (+1)
6. Kirk McLean - 60.00% - (-2)
7. Mattias Ohlund - 41.18% - (E)
8. Thomas Gradin - 54.17% - (E)
9. Tony Tanti - 29.41% - (+2)
10. Daniel Sedin - 34.55% - (+7)
11. Henrik Sedin - 65.31% - (+5)
12. Jyrki Lumme - 36.67% - (-2)
13. Richard Brodeur - 61.90% - (-1)
14. Todd Bertuzzi - 18.18% / 55.17% - (E)
15. Andre Boudrias - 18.18% / 44.83% - (-2)
16. Alexander Mogilny - 36.67% - (-7)

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=682938

50 Best Players in Canucks History, 2009:
1. Pavel Bure - (57.05%)
2. Trevor Linden - (53.90%)
3. Markus Naslund - (59.23%)
4. Kirk McLean - (32.30%)
5. Stan Smyl - (51.75%)
6. Roberto Luongo - (36.54%)
7. Mattias Ohlund - (67.35%)
8. Thomas Gradin - (29.73%)
9. Alexander Mogilny - (21.70%)
10. Jyrki Lumme - (32.56%)
11. Tony Tanti - (34.02%)
12. Richard Brodeur - (43.42%)
13. Andre Boudrias - (28.00%)
14. Todd Bertuzzi - (25.00%) *(58.09%)
15. Orland Kurtenbach - (25.00) *(41.91%)
16. Henrik Sedin - (30.59%)
17. Daniel Sedin - (61.97%)
18. Harold Snepsts - (19.48%)
19. Greg Adams - (33.33%)
20. Cliff Ronning - (50.00%)
21. Geoff Courtnall - (28.89%)
22. Ed Jovanovski - (40.54%)
23. Patrik Sundstrom - (28.00%)
24. Don Lever - (38.57%)
25. Petri Skriko - (23.38%)
26. Doug Lidster - (45.90%)
27. Brendan Morrison - (53.03%)
28. Tiger Williams - (33.33%)
29. Darcy Rota - (18.97%)
30. Martin Gelinas - (19.44%) * (62.12%)
31. Gino Odjick - (19.44%) * (37.88%)
32. Dennis Kearns - (35.42%)
33. Igor Larionov - (23.64%)
34. Dave Babych - (24.66%)
35. Garth Butcher - (23.91%)
36. Dan Cloutier - (25.53%)
37. Bobby Schmautz - (33.33%)
38. Dale Tallon - (16.67%) ^ (27.14%)
39. Sami Salo - (16.67%) ^ (25.71%)
40. Paul Reinhart - (14.58%) ^ (25.71%)
41. Andrew Cassels - (14.58%) ^ (21.43%)
42. Willie Mitchell - (27.08%)
43. Gary Smith - (42.55%)
44. Curt Fraser - (22.81%)
45. Sergio Momesso - (25.00%)
46. Ryan Kesler - (23.08%)
47. Kevin McCarthy - (40.00%)
48. Ivan Hlinka - (17.54%)
49. Dennis Ververgaert - (25.00%)

Vote for the best remaining player.

Use whatever method for determining "best" that you feel like.

* indicates a tie in the main poll and subsequent two-player showdown poll.
^ indicates a tie in the main poll and subsequent four-player showdown poll.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=17235003#post17235003

It is safe to say that the Sedins have won some in the standings since 2009, perhaps #5-6 (best is not equal to popular but hey it is fan votes so the metrics are as they are).

Last edited:

M A K A V E L I*

I somewhat agree, but I would say Bure was the most exciting, not the best.

Bure is the better overall player.

Awesome slapshot vs. non-existent slapshot
Blinding speed vs. average speed
Shorthanded threat vs. not (when they were PK'ing)
Goal scoring machine vs. above average goal scorer & non scorer

Bure was a pretty good playmaker too, but the twins are better since Bure didn't have a clone playing with him.

stickside

Oct 6, 2007
Bure is the better overall player.

Awesome slapshot vs. non-existent slapshot
Blinding speed vs. average speed
Shorthanded threat vs. not (when they were PK'ing)
Goal scoring machine vs. above average goal scorer & non scorer

Bure was a pretty good playmaker too, but the twins are better since Bure didn't have a clone playing with him.

trying to choose one over the other is like picking chocolate over strawberry. really depends on what type of player you enjoy watching.

bure did everything at high-speed and was truly electrifying.

sedin breaks the game down into soccer-like 2 on 1's and give and go's. can be very pretty to watch.

pick your flavor

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
And they had lots of nice goals of their own, including the Play of the Year in 2010:

That goal still amazes me. Such skill from both of them.

Such an awesome play and goal. Meant nothing in the outcome of the game, but totally enscapsulated the skill they brought to the game, and sealed the deal on the MVP.

As an aside, I'd gladly take Erhoff back on this team.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Such an awesome play and goal. Meant nothing in the outcome of the game, but totally enscapsulated the skill they brought to the game, and sealed the deal on the MVP.

As an aside, I'd gladly take Erhoff back on this team.

I miss him - so much - on the power play. It just hasn't been the same without his speed and ability to get the shots through.

JA

Naslund had a couple seasons with Bert where they tore everything apart, wih lots of nice goals. But in long term, Sedins are better.

Not only nice goals, but lots of dominant shifts. For example:

Unfortunately, this has been forgotten by most fans as Naslund's undeserved, unpleasant departure from Vancouver has unfortunately overridden any fond memories most fans might have had. Keep in mind the footage above is from the 2005-06 season. Markus might have buried that shot had his wristshot not deteriorated as a result of the injuries sustained from the Moore incident. When he was in his prime, he was an incredible player to watch; he was amongst only a handful number of elite players in the early 2000s. The line itself was the best line in hockey and the envy of the league.

If that team had had an a reliable playoff goalender in net, they could have accomplished much more than they did. Dan Cloutier's collapse in Game 7 of the Minnesota series really disheartened this fanbase. The team deserved better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Not only nice goals, but lots of dominant shifts. For example:

Unfortunately, this has been forgotten by most fans as Naslund's undeserved, unpleasant departure from Vancouver has unfortunately overridden any fond memories most fans might have had. Keep in mind the footage above is from the 2005-06 season. Markus might have buried that shot had his wristshot not deteriorated as a result of the injuries sustained from the Moore incident. When he was in his prime, he was an incredible player to watch; he was amongst only a handful number of elite players in the early 2000s. The line itself was the best line in hockey and the envy of the league.

If that team had had an a reliable playoff goalender in net, they could have accomplished much more than they did. Dan Cloutier's collapse in Game 7 of the Minnesota series really disheartened this fanbase. The team deserved better.
That team was much further away from ever accomplishing anything than we give them credit for. With or without goaltending, other than Morrison, that dominant top line always looked awful in the playoffs.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
That team was much further away from ever accomplishing anything than we give them credit for. With or without goaltending, other than Morrison, that dominant top line always looked awful in the playoffs.

we were all looking for something to cling to. The team bottomed out and came back strong, and we all invested too much into it. In retrospect I agree, the team was miles away from winning. But if you asked me in 2003 I would have said they got robbed. I thought if they had got past minny and anaheim they would have beaten NJ in the final. I know now that there's no way.

Henrik is a worthy candidate for our all-time leader. I dearly hope he and his brother play long enough to rack up 1000+ points in a Canuck uniform. Having watched basically every game they've played in the NHL, I can't think of a more admirable pair to represent our team and city. Well deserved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad