Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
LOL, I am far from embarrassed.
I understand that there is a lot of man love for Hank. He is a very good goalie, top 20 or so of all time. But, I am tired of hearing about how he deserves a Cup. Goalies have the ability to impact the outcome of a game more so than any other player on the ice. Hank had a shot and didn't make the saves he needed to win. Quick did.
It isn't about the number of shots, its the quality and timeliness of the saves.
Quick has two rings and a Conn Smythe, Hank doesn't.
You should be after this post

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
LOL, I am far from embarrassed.
I understand that there is a lot of man love for Hank. He is a very good goalie, top 20 or so of all time. But, I am tired of hearing about how he deserves a Cup. Goalies have the ability to impact the outcome of a game more so than any other player on the ice. Hank had a shot and didn't make the saves he needed to win. Quick did.
It isn't about the number of shots, its the quality and timeliness of the saves.
Quick has two rings and a Conn Smythe, Hank doesn't.
I was not arguing about number of shots. My whole argument has been about quality of saves and quality of teammates and you initially dismissed it. Now you put it forward as your own argument. So the good news is we're in agreement that shot quality IS important to a degree.

1 Goalie makes 9 out of 11 saves but they were all penalty shots, breakaways and 1 timers from the slot
The other makes 4-5 saves but they were all weak wristers from the point

Who had the better game? Who would you rather have on your team?

The winner who gave up the weak goal and faced less pressure? Or the guy that managed to make 9 amazing saves?

That's a gross oversimplification to demonstrate what has been my point from the beginning. If you have a way to show that Quick had the harder time I'm all ears (or eyes in this case). But so far all I've seen is a claim that he made better saves with no evidence or reasoning so all I am questioning that.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Hank might not be the goalie with the highest toplevel, but he has been quite consistent over a long time, therefore given his team the best chance of winning in the long run. If he get them to another final ever, the players owe it to him to relax while they do all the heavy work those final games.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
While he is facing more shots than ever, the team in front of him has never been as good as this one in terms of limiting shot quality against. His expected Sv% is at 91.89%, he has only broken 91 twice in his career (11-12: 91.23% and 14-15: 91.32%). In terms of exceeding his expected Sv%, this is actually his second worst season so far with +0.42 (worst was 16-17 with +0.08, he's never played below expectation).

It's nice that he finally gets some help to pad his stats for once in his career, he has had to put up with some serious shit earlier in his career. Don't let anyone tell you a mediocre goalie with a great defence in front of him like Vasilievski is even close to what Hank was during his prime.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
You should be after this post
No kidding.
Lundqvist in the 13/14 playoffs: .928 SV%, 11.15 GSAA (Goals saved above average). Quick: .911 SV%, -0,58 GSAA. Quick was bailed out by his team during the earlier rounds, a luxury Lundqvist has never had in his career. Notice that Lundqvist's 11.15 GSAA was absurdly high. Hank was extremely good on high danger scoring chances that playoff run.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
No kidding.
Lundqvist in the 13/14 playoffs: .928 SV%, 11.15 GSAA (Goals saved above average). Quick: .911 SV%, -0,58 GSAA. Quick was bailed out by his team during the earlier rounds, a luxury Lundqvist has never had in his career. Notice that Lundqvist's 11.15 GSAA was absurdly high. Hank was extremely good on high danger scoring chances that playoff run.

To me games 5,6,7 of the Pittsburgh series was the best goaltending I've ever seen. By the end of the 3rd period of game 7, the penguins resigned themselves to defeat.

They knew they were going to lose.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
To me games 5,6,7 of the Pittsburgh series was the best goaltending I've ever seen. By the end of the 3rd period of game 7, the penguins resigned themselves to defeat.

This performance.

Also, the first time he beat Washington was such a huge victory for him.

And the last Montreal series we played, Hank was the best player on the ice on both teams and Radilov was a monster in that series.

Those three rounds really stand out to me. When he out-dueled Brodeur for his first HUGE series win, that was also a memorable one for sure (the fatso handshake series).

Reactions: pdogfizzle

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden

You want to talk highlights, are you kidding me? I would start with excluding games from the back. Just kidding, but only barely. But yes, I agree, those were games where Hank really didn't take "no" for an answer. There are so many series during the years - and seasons - where Lundqvist carried the teams with significant authority, that is basically underrated in the recognition in the NHL at this point. He has carried this franchise on his back so many years. Then some schmuck claims he's not worthy of a cup. We have Devils fans claiming Hank is worthy of a cup, but we have Rangers fans who claim he doesn't. Outliers in extreme, right? Now, Rangers fans claiming he's the plague has always been a yearly occassion, but rivals from all over the division saying he's worthy of a Cup? Not happening. That's true praise.

The consistent world class performances and the few nights he was not up to it... the ratio has been insanely good. Every goalie talks of bad seasons, in plural. Lundqvist has consistently talked of bad months. Sure, he had some nightmare seasons, coached by Vigneault, lol. The guy that chased both Luongo and Schneider away from Vancouver. Hank handled it fairly well, compared to us fans watching the defensive zone turn into a kindergarden, counting seasons. Can I claim PTSD from that?

Now, Hank's unquestionably, in my mind - from both stats, advanced stats and the eye test - the best goalie of this era, based on consistency and overall performance. He has never accepted defeat in a single season, even when things looked like crap, several times. And he's still going in his late 30s. Something tells me he will have more longevity than you might think, because he's not a bulked up goalie like most others with hip problems. He's a hard worker with world class talent, keeping his own weight really low. That's a good concept for a work horse goalie.

Why doesn't Hank have more Vezinas or other trophies? Because the teams were always inferior, by margin. It was never really close, but he made it close. That's why he was - and still in his older years is - so good. Basically every top goalie has been injured by hip or knee problems. Hank has been injured from his own defensemen, in the throat and neck.

We are about to summarize his career up and he basically prolonged a Rangers rebuild for his entire career, pretty much all by himself - and almost carried them there. That's pretty good as a career for a powerhouse franchise, mostly covered with crap teams.

Last edited:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Hank is the reason the Rangers made the finals that year. AV couldn't adjust and the team in front of him, namely the offense played like complete ****. Game 3 was a complete embarrassment and summed up the series. Hank was the reason that we didn't get swept by an average score of 5-0.
The fact of the matter is that since the 05-06 season, the reason why the Rangers have been relevant is because of Lundqvist.
Put Hank on these Pitt teams over that span and they have 6 or 7 cups.

LA was a better team. No adjustments could have been made except drafting better.

Luckily we are going for a top 3 this year...

Reactions: NY Lito

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Can’t wait for Valiquette in between periods defending Lundqvist because the goals
We’re deflected. 5 goals on 16 shots. Apparently those are impossible to save. Other goalies can though!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Can’t wait for Valiquette in between periods defending Lundqvist because the goals
We’re deflected. 5 goals on 16 shots. Apparently those are impossible to save. Other goalies can though!

Deflections are near impossible to save but that's why, in my opinion, goalies just aren't worth anything north of 10% of the salary cup upon signing. The extra money just isn't worth it.

Reactions: Hellion and Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Still horrific defense in Henrik`s case so far still 20 min. left @Amazing Kreiderman - maybe Zucc will do some magic and get back into this mess of a game since u mention him earlier. And some fans usually mention him when Rangers are behind - I notice such things not that he has a gr8 game, and he plays a top 6 role I understand that. :)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Still horrific defense in Henrik`s case so far still 20 min. left @Amazing Kreiderman - maybe Zucc will do some magic and get back into this mess of a game since u mention him earlier. And some fans usually mention him when Rangers are behind - I notice such things not that he has a gr8 game, and he plays a top 6 role I understand that. :)

Let's hope they play better in Tampa and Calgary when I go to the games. They can lose every other game as long as they win those 2 hahahaha

Reactions: Ori

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I don’t think Lundqvist is a first ballot shoe in.
Henrik Lundqvist’s carrier is most closely comparable to Rogie Vachon.
I believe it took Vachon 16 years after he retired to get inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame and was on a Montreal team early in his career that won the Stanley Cup.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
some amazing saves by T. Greiss on both Mats & Kevin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad