Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That definitely did not happen.

The opposite should have happened. They should have decided to sit him and let him recover. From what I've heard over the years, Lundqvist himself is the type of player who convinces coaches he can play, even when he's injured. The exception was the puck to the throat. Sometimes, the medical staff needs to step in and protect players, even Lundqvist.

What annoys me, is that when Girardi, McDonagh, Yandle etc play through injuries, this fanbase is blaming them for ruining our chances to win, but when Lundqvist does the same, he's a warrior.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The opposite should have happened. They should have decided to sit him and let him recover. From what I've heard over the years, Lundqvist himself is the type of player who convinces coaches he can play, even when he's injured. The exception was the puck to the throat. Sometimes, the medical staff needs to step in and protect players, even Lundqvist.

What annoys me, is that when Girardi, McDonagh, Yandle etc play through injuries, this fanbase is blaming them for ruining our chances to win, but when Lundqvist does the same, he's a warrior.

We all know that some Hank fans hold him to a different standard than everyone else.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
why would they sit him? The injury clearly didnt affect his play. He is even considering playing the WC. To me this looks more like something that could potentially become hampering further down the line and that is what they are looking into.

And the notion that he only had a stretch of great games is horribly wrong. He was the best goalie in the league for over 3 months.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
why would they sit him? The injury clearly didnt affect his play. He is even considering playing the WC. To me this looks more like something that could potentially become hampering further down the line and that is what they are looking into.

And the notion that he only had a stretch of great games is horribly wrong. He was the best goalie in the league for over 3 months.

According to sportsnet he was one of the three stars of the game 25 times this year. While he definitely laid more eggs than usual, to say he only had a short stretch of good games is not accurate.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
According to sportsnet he was one of the three stars of the game 25 times this year. While he definitely laid more eggs than usual, to say he only had a short stretch of good games is not accurate.

Whatever 'eggs' he might have laid (every goalie has a few per season) don't forget how absolutely devoid the defense was in front of him.

This stat is an absolute indictment on how bad it was.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Why the hell should we have kept playing our super star who was injured and old when our team was selling? Do you just not give a f*** about the next number of seasons with his gigantic contract? We need to squeeze the last bit of good play out of the guy over the life of his contract. Managing his workload in a dead year when he’s f***ing injured is a pretty easy way to do that.

Again, like nev, get over your fanboyism and start giving a f*** about the team.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
I mean, Hank only play 9 + 1 where he was pulled games in the 18 games after the deadline. It's not like they played him all the time, he got plenty of rest while Georgiev got his looks.

Last edited:

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Why the hell should we have kept playing our super star who was injured and old when our team was selling? Do you just not give a **** about the next number of seasons with his gigantic contract? We need to squeeze the last bit of good play out of the guy over the life of his contract. Managing his workload in a dead year when he’s ****ing injured is a pretty easy way to do that.

Again, like nev, get over your fanboyism and start giving a **** about the team.

He was injured in October. The team wasn't selling then. Why do you keep mentioning the fact that the team should have shut him down only 'when our team was selling' but not before that?

You're entire argument is that they shouldn't have been playing him if he was hurt because of how big his contract is and how we need to squeeze the last bit of play out of him.

By that logic, the Rangers should have shut him down right after he got hurt and had him evaluated since his future with the team is limited and his cap hit is massive.

You agree or not?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He was injured in October. The team wasn't selling then. Why do you keep mentioning the fact that the team should have shut him down only 'when our team was selling' but not before that?

You're entire argument is that they shouldn't have been playing him if he was hurt because of how big his contract is and how we need to squeeze the last bit of play out of him.

By that logic, the Rangers should have shut him down right after he got hurt and had him evaluated since his future with the team is limited and his cap hit is massive.

You agree or not?

Did you just miss the point where I said that once the team began selling that they should’ve sat him or are you purposefully ignoring that?

I never once said he should’ve sat in October. I said he should’ve been sat once the team began selling. This is so simple that I have to think that you’re purposefully trying to obscure the argument at this point since this has been discussed prior.

If the team is contending, it makes sense to allow him to continue to play if he feels he can. If the team is not (and is actively selling), it makes zero sense.

1+1 = 2 for most of us. For you, 1+1 = HAAAAAAAANK.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I mean, JFC, how much of a fanboy do you have to be to think that we should’ve kept playing an injured player after we began selling? You clearly couldn’t care less about the future of the team and trying to maximize his value. You just want to see the guy trotted out onto the ice for your own selfish reasons. It’s so ludicrous to me. Beyond comprehension.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Why the hell should we have kept playing our super star who was injured and old when our team was selling? Do you just not give a **** about the next number of seasons with his gigantic contract? We need to squeeze the last bit of good play out of the guy over the life of his contract. Managing his workload in a dead year when he’s ****ing injured is a pretty easy way to do that.

Again, like nev, get over your fanboyism and start giving a **** about the team.

Your "you are not a real fan" schtick is getting old, Jon. You need new material.

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I mean, JFC, how much of a fanboy do you have to be to think that we should’ve kept playing an injured player after we began selling? You clearly couldn’t care less about the future of the team and trying to maximize his value. You just want to see the guy trotted out onto the ice for your own selfish reasons. It’s so ludicrous to me. Beyond comprehension.
He really didn't play that much after the deadline.

Also important to consider that AV was coaching for his job, and has the lineup decisions. He's not going to shutdown Hank and go to Gorgeous full-time. It wouldn't really have been a good look for GMJG to shut Hank down without AV's say, either.

Overall, I see where you're coming from, but I don't think it's realistic.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He really didn't play that much after the deadline.

Also important to consider that AV was coaching for his job, and has the lineup decisions. He's not going to shutdown Hank and go to Gorgeous full-time. It wouldn't really have been a good look for GMJG to shut Hank down without AV's say, either.

Overall, I see where you're coming from, but I don't think it's realistic.

Sure it is. You put him on LTIR. It is extremely realistic. He shouldn't have played a game after they made a decision to sell.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Sure it is. You put him on LTIR. It is extremely realistic. He shouldn't have played a game after they made a decision to sell.
Is there any precedent for this in the NHL? Not asking to be a Richard, generally curious. Not putting players that are able to play on LTIR, obviously that happens, I mean for the sole purpose of helping to tank.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Is there any precedent for this in the NHL? Not asking to be a Richard, generally curious. Not putting players that are able to play on LTIR, obviously that happens, I mean for the sole purpose of helping to tank.

Who said anything about helping the tank? Where did I say that?

I said he should've been put on LTIR because we need to rely on him and his giant cap hit for the foreseeable future. He's an old player who has now had a couple of injuries as he's aged. Considering his massive cap hit and the fact that he's basically untradeable, we have to truly manage his health. It was simply malpractice to let him play a single game once we were out of it.

The tank should've been a completely side thing with this. I didn't really care that he was playing (although I wanted him playing less to see Costanza and such a bit more) since you have to play a guy now and then. But now that we know that he's had a lingering injury all year? He should've been shut down.

With his age, cap hit, and importance to the team, it was incredibly dumb to play the guy. Regardless of what he said (although if he told the team his injury was less than it was, that's on him and not the team).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->