Injury Report: Henrik Lundqvist

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I was a goalie and never got a stick through My mask. Really freaky thing. I did however once get injured by a puck on a very Hard slapshot that hit The screwing that holds The mask into The helmet and The screws actually went into My skull. Concussion. Another time I was on The bench without a mask and an opposing players stick hit me right by the eye in an accident that caused huge swelling and blindness for about a week. Really scary. Also a concussion. Took some months to see clearly again due to nerve damage. Let us hope that Hank does not have a similar injury but it did not look to be the case right afterwards (I would never have been able to play right after that happened - let alone for 40 seconds). I think it was a poor decision by both AV and Hank to stay in goal at the end of the first and it certainly contributed to the negative outcome of the game.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Ever watch the Marc Staal eye injury? How about the Bryan Berard eye injury?

It's scary as **** and flailing around is a fairly normal reaction when the fear of losing your ****ing vision is apparent.

Plus in that instant you have zero vision and you probably think you just lost your eye. That's why Hank was squirming like he was, not because of a shot to the nuts. A shot down there would kill, but he wouldn't have reacted like that. His reaction was pure shock and panic from the force of the unexpected stick hitting his orbital bone/eye socket.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Plus in that instant you have zero vision and you probably think you just lost your eye. That's why Hank was squirming like he was, not because of a shot to the nuts. A shot down there would kill, but he wouldn't have reacted like that. His reaction was pure shock and panic from the force of the unexpected stick hitting his orbital bone/eye socket.

Reminds me Saku Koivu reaction after Williams highsticking, was Lundqvist helped away from the ice?

StateOfHexcellence

Mar 31, 2016
Ashes of Pattison
Parent's injury was WAY worse than Lundqvist's. Can't even compare the two.

Yes it was worse, and you can compare the action and result. Parent wore the plastic face mask where the eye hole and eye are like an half inch apart. The cage on the masks today are customizable to the player. The cats eye cages are not allowed in minor hockey due to the fact sticks can get in there. they are non certified, but pros and active amateurs use them. Henrik's is more like this one.

hvcteye.jpg

the standard version is usually like this: (with many variations)

bauer-goalie-accessories-profile-961-cat-eye-cage.jpg

these variations are not legal too, but many are used

img.aspx

this image shows you how wide King's eye holes are

themasksmallft.jpg

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Yes it was worse, and you can compare the action and result. Parent wore the plastic face mask where the eye hole and eye are like an half inch apart. The cage on the masks today are customizable to the player. The cats eye cages are not allowed in minor hockey due to the fact sticks can get in there. they are non certified, but pros and active amateurs use them. Henrik's is more like this one.

hvcteye.jpg

the standard version is usually like this: (with many variations)

bauer-goalie-accessories-profile-961-cat-eye-cage.jpg

these variations are not legal too, but many are used

img.aspx

this image shows you how wide King's eye holes are

themasksmallft.jpg

Good write up here about the recent event...

http://ingoalmag.com/features/henrik-lundqvists-injury-harsh-reminder-mask-hazards/

MacTruck27

May 17, 2014
just saw that hank was the first ranger on the ice for practice today. that has to be good news.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
I was a goalie and never got a stick through My mask. Really freaky thing. I did however once get injured by a puck on a very Hard slapshot that hit The screwing that holds The mask into The helmet and The screws actually went into My skull. Concussion. Another time I was on The bench without a mask and an opposing players stick hit me right by the eye in an accident that caused huge swelling and blindness for about a week. Really scary. Also a concussion. Took some months to see clearly again due to nerve damage. Let us hope that Hank does not have a similar injury but it did not look to be the case right afterwards (I would never have been able to play right after that happened - let alone for 40 seconds). I think it was a poor decision by both AV and Hank to stay in goal at the end of the first and it certainly contributed to the negative outcome of the game.

Incredibly valuable personal experience to serve as insight regarding Hank's eye injury. Thank you for sharing, gives me a little more confidence that he's gonna be ok sooner rather than later.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Should have known you were a goalie ya lunatic!

All kidding aside thanks for sharing, interesting...

pucky

Jan 11, 2011

The sight lines are better and these have been around since at least the early or mid-80s (no later). The reported or remembered injuries are few but they are there. However, it is a very real health hazard and one that all the players (not in goal) play with every game and sticks can strike them anywhere in the face whether they wear a half shield or not. But, the goalies are the ones who rely on their eye sight trying to track the puck. It's obvious the visibility and sight lines are the only reason they stick to them and risk the lack of safety.

They can either go with the full grid of the regular cage or get the certified ones in which the 'cat eye space' is a little tighter. But, I suggested in another thread, whether equipment manufacturers could get together and just put a clear 'shield' where that space is and clip it somehow to the 'wire' part of the face mask.

So, how is visibility through the clear (used to be 'Itech') face shields? Maybe drill a number of small holes in it but test to make the structure is still strong enough? It's one way to ensure/maintain visibility w/o going to the full regular cage that goalies decline even though it is much safer to use. However, a number of goalies have stated you get used to it (Hrudey among others keeps insisting).

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
The sight lines are better and these have been around since at least the early or mid-80s (no later). The reported or remembered injuries are few but they are there. However, it is a very real health hazard and one that all the players (not in goal) play with every game and sticks can strike them anywhere in the face whether they wear a half shield or not. But, the goalies are the ones who rely on their eye sight trying to track the puck. It's obvious the visibility and sight lines are the only reason they stick to them and risk the lack of safety.

They can either go with the full grid of the regular cage or get the certified ones in which the 'cat eye space' is a little tighter. But, I suggested in another thread, whether equipment manufacturers could get together and just put a clear 'shield' where that space is and clip it somehow to the 'wire' part of the face mask.

So, how is visibility through the clear (used to be 'Itech') face shields? Maybe drill a number of small holes in it but test to make the structure is still strong enough? It's one way to ensure/maintain visibility w/o going to the full regular cage that goalies decline even though it is much safer to use. However, a number of goalies have stated you get used to it (Hrudey among others keeps insisting).

It's a good idea in theory, but unless it can be shatterproof, you risk a lot more injury with shards of plexiglass in your eyes than any puck or stick could do (being as rare as a stick injury is)

When I had my Warwick mask custom made, I chose the titanium cat-eye cage upgrade. The cage itself was $500.00. The peace of mind it adds is very valuable to me. I've taken some clappers off of it and it's never dented or even moved.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
It's a good idea in theory, but unless it can be shatterproof, you risk a lot more injury with shards of plexiglass in your eyes than any puck or stick could do (being as rare as a stick injury is)

When I had my Warwick mask custom made, I chose the titanium cat-eye cage upgrade. The cage itself was $500.00. The peace of mind it adds is very valuable to me. I've taken some clappers off of it and it's never dented or even moved.

as someone who has never played goal in any real fashion other than kids games etc. Would something like Kurt Rambis used to wear (sport glasses / goggles) be something that goalies would use or would it just be too much of a hassle vs. the small chance of a stick ?

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
as someone who has never played goal in any real fashion other than kids games etc. Would something like Kurt Rambis used to wear (sport glasses / goggles) be something that goalies would use or would it just be too much of a hassle vs. the small chance of a stick ?

I've seen some goalies who have vision issues wear the Amare Stoudemire googles and their mask over it. But I can't imagine most goalies using it for protection against a stick. It's just that rate of an event, it's not worth the inconvenience, or vision obstruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad