Injury Report: Henrik Lundqvist

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If you watch the play again it looks like hank was in extreme pain from the puck hitting him in a vulnerable area if you know what i mean. it was mentioned on 98.7 espn fm so hopefully that was it and his eye was just slightly grazed by the stick

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
If you watch the play again it looks like hank was in extreme pain from the puck hitting him in a vulnerable area if you know what i mean. it was mentioned on 98.7 espn fm so hopefully that was it and his eye was just slightly grazed by the stick

The pain and squirming on the ice was from the stick hitting him in the eye and the anxiety of whether or not he might be able to see out of it ever again.

Goalies wear very protective cups. Basically they are two cups stacked on top of each other. One main one close to your body and an entire other cup that lays on top of that one.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
nevesis
I am asking you this in all seriousness my brother is a former high school stand out goalie and played college and was offered a few tryouts for minor league teams.. At the high school and college levels certain cat's eye masks that were banned because of size of the eye holes.. I have to ask how in the world would a elite NHL goalie be allowed to wear a mask that a stick blade could fit into? i am holding a nhl model stick right now from Joey kocur and in no way would it fit into the eye hole of a mask.. if a stick can a puck could this is either extremely dangerous or really careless on the mask maker or was it altered to his specs ?

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Nope. That reaction was, "Holy **** is my eyeball still in the socket"

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
nevesis
I am asking you this in all seriousness my brother is a former high school stand out goalie and played college and was offered a few tryouts for minor league teams.. At the high school and college levels certain cat's eye masks that were banned because of size of the eye holes.. I have to ask how in the world would a elite NHL goalie be allowed to wear a mask that a stick blade could fit into? i am holding a nhl model stick right now from Joey kocur and in no way would it fit into the eye hole of a mask.. if a stick can a puck could this is either extremely dangerous or really careless on the mask maker or was it altered to his specs ?

All pro style cat eye cages are not CSA/CE/HECC approved and are banned in youth, HS, college hockey because sticks can fit through. Whether it's the butt end or the blade itself.

The cage Hank wears is the same in spec as most every other cat eye cage from every mask manufacturer. It's extremely rare what happened to him last night, (never happened to him before in his career) and most every NHL goalie has never had that happen to them. It's about as freak of an accident as can occur.

Kocur's stick blade, and most blades from that era were a little more squared, and larger than the rounded blades of todays composite sticks. Staal's blade is rounder, and hit JUST at the right angle to cause the damage it did. It most definitely can fit through the cage at the right angle.

Goaltenders prefer the cat eye cage because it allows them superior vision to the traditional cages which have the vertical bars going directly over the eye.

Total freak thing, and very thankful because it could have been much worse of an injury. Bernie Parent's career ended in a similar fashion, but much worse occurred with that than with what happened to Henrik last night.

Petey Pucks

Feb 10, 2009
Jersey City, NJ
I've been a fan since the early 90s...I'm aware of the decade of darkness...this isn't nearly as bad...but still, I go into every game expecting the team to lose and being surprised when they win...it hasn't been that way in a long time...last few years it was just the opposite.

congratulations!....you are right at about the 20 year fan mark where you finally realize the futility of being a fan of this cursed organization....something a lot of the optimistic younger fans in here will finally realize themselves in due time, unless things drastically change for the better in the ensuing years

someone mentioned how they feel 94 didn't end the curse and someone else mentioned when sam rosen exclaimed " the new york rangers are the 1994 stanley cup champions!!! ...and this one will last a life time!!"....yeah well sadly as Sam Rosen said that I too felt it would ring true and it would take this organization a lifetime to finally win again

unfortunately a lot of the internal politics of this organization have to be worked out until we can have a tradition a winning stanley cups.....just look at how the blackhawks were run into the ground almost during the bill wirtz era and that it took his son rocky wirtz to bring the hawks organization into a renaissance winning winning 3 cups in 6 season ( or 5 years )......maybe our organization in time will luckily have the same fortune of being run in a better way, leading to a few cups over a few seasons

anyway...like puddy said from seinfeld " gotta support the team "

LGR!!! Rangers in 6!!!

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
All pro style cat eye cages are not CSA/CE/HECC approved and are banned in youth, HS, college hockey because sticks can fit through. Whether it's the butt end or the blade itself.

The cage Hank wears is the same in spec as most every other cat eye cage from every mask manufacturer. It's extremely rare what happened to him last night, (never happened to him before in his career) and most every NHL goalie has never had that happen to them. It's about as freak of an accident as can occur.

Kocur's stick blade, and most blades from that era were a little more squared, and larger than the rounded blades of todays composite sticks. Staal's blade is rounder, and hit JUST at the right angle to cause the damage it did. It most definitely can fit through the cage at the right angle.

Goaltenders prefer the cat eye cage because it allows them superior vision to the traditional cages which have the vertical bars going directly over the eye.

Total freak thing, and very thankful because it could have been much worse of an injury. Bernie Parent's career ended in a similar fashion, but much worse occurred with that than with what happened to Henrik last night.

Yeah when you look at Staals blade its got a rounded toe but its a really short blade in height. His stick may have been one of the only ones on the team (or possibly both teams) that couldve fit through that area of his cage. Such a freak thing.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
nevesis

What about the "certified" cats-eye cage masks? Can a stick still get through? I guess the point of them is to prevent a stick or puck getting through the 'eye' spaces? Some goalies claim it hampers their vision but can't they get used to it? Surely, they prefer them over the regular cages when it comes to vision?

With all this being said, the forwards and defencemen are totally exposed with some who don't even wear the half-shields. I think some players have been hit in the eye with a stick and Bryan Berard's accident immediately springs to mind. I though the NHL would discuss new rules regarding face protection after that incident but nothing yet.

hawthorne*

Hags told Hornqvist that Hank only ever gets injured by his own teammates and ain't that the truth :shakehead Hopefully the doctors clear him and he's ready to go on Saturday. That's a scary injury.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The pain and squirming on the ice was from the stick hitting him in the eye and the anxiety of whether or not he might be able to see out of it ever again.

Goalies wear very protective cups. Basically they are two cups stacked on top of each other. One main one close to your body and an entire other cup that lays on top of that one.

Well that was rick dipietro who mentioned it along with his radio partner Alan Hahn.
I agree tho I would think that goalies have plenty of padding down there

Rangers2319

Jul 15, 2008
CT
Maybe im having a senior moment or i'm just plain ********, but why does hank HAVE to practice tomorrow to play sat?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Maybe im having a senior moment or i'm just plain ********, but why does hank HAVE to practice tomorrow to play sat?

Was thinking same thing. They should do what Sullivan did and not say either way if he's playing or not .

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007

Well since you're on a roll I guess I'll contribute.

1. As a goalie wearing the usual stuff it can still hurt really really bad if you get a direct shot in the area where your balls meet your thigh, especially when you're out of position for it. There are lots of spots that open up if you're not square.

2. Eye injuries don't hurt for **** unless you're expecting them or it's an ongoing matter like someone throwing sand or acid in your eyeball. I've had a shard of glass fly into my eye and pretty much slice it across the eyeball. Did not hurt whatsoever, walked home. Went to hospital. In fact before surgery I had a needle type shot into the side of my eyeball, again did not hurt.

Having said that. None of it has anything to do with a serious abrasion. While not permanent it may lead to ****** vision for weeks on end and if that's the case we're all ****ed.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana

1. As a goalie wearing the usual stuff it can still hurt really really bad if you get a direct shot in the area where your balls meet your thigh, especially when you're out of position for it. There are lots of spots that open up if you're not square.

2. Eye injuries don't hurt for **** unless you're expecting them or it's an ongoing matter like someone throwing sand or acid in your eyeball. I've had a shard of glass fly into my eye and pretty much slice it across the eyeball. Did not hurt whatsoever, walked home. Went to hospital. In fact before surgery I had a needle type shot into the side of my eyeball, again did not hurt.

Having said that. None of it has anything to do with a serious abrasion. While not permanent it may lead to ****** vision for weeks on end and if that's the case we're all ****ed.

If the blade of the stick made contact with any part of the eye socket it hurt like a mofo... The stick blade didn't go directly into his eyeball, in fact his eye was probably closed by the time it made contact, the pain is from it hitting the orbital bone.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Idk how people can move about after stuff like that... I shut down completely and just lay there trying to find inner Zen to offset the current pain

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
If the blade of the stick made contact with any part of the eye socket it hurt like a mofo... The stick blade didn't go directly into his eyeball, in fact his eye was probably closed by the time it made contact, the pain is from it hitting the orbital bone.

Kind of a toss up. I've been hit in the face pretty good and had shots hit me in the balls area pretty good. I'd imagine more squirming coming from getting hit in the lower areas. Flailing around doesn't help the face much, but who knows.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Kind of a toss up. I've been hit in the face pretty good and had shots hit me in the balls area pretty good. I'd imagine more squirming coming from getting hit in the lower areas. Flailing around doesn't help the face much, but who knows.

Ever watch the Marc Staal eye injury? How about the Bryan Berard eye injury?

It's scary as **** and flailing around is a fairly normal reaction when the fear of losing your ****ing vision is apparent.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

You're wearing the wrong goalie cup if that's the case.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana

Flailing around doesn't help anything, it's a mostly involuntary response to intense pain. Getting hit in the groin hurts sure, if you're testicles are exposed to whatever hits them, which isn't the case with a cup unless it somehow moves out of position.

Hank reacted really similarly to Bryan Berard, which isn't necessarily indicative of an eye injury or pain in the face it's just what flashed through my head when I saw it. Which is why I think it was his eye and not his jewels. That and you generally reach for whatever hurts, I've never gotten hit in the balls and grabbed my face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad