Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist (UPD: wont play for Capitals this year)

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I’m excited to see the new Caps. I know their has been some derision over some of these signings (I get the Schultz consternation, completely, however as a 43yrs Caps fan, the ONE management guy that gets the benefit of the doubt from me is GMBM. In Brian I trust, and how can you not!??!!? Unless you are a newbie fan (last decade) then I guess I could maybe relate....NAH, I cannot), but In Brian I Trust.

I trusted Brian a lot, but then Todd sucked and so my trust has been reduced.

Reactions: foundhockey

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I trusted Brian a lot, but then Todd sucked and so my trust has been reduced.
I said in another thread — GMBM has easily given Caps fans their best run ever. Our only SC and 2 Presidents Cups in a 3yr run, plus what ...6 straight Metro Titles?

yeah, HCTR wasn’t the right fit. But the logic was sound and team wanted him. He’d earned it.

credit GMBM for pulling the plug fast. 2yrs (plus one was the COVID craziness) isn’t long.

he knows what the teams needs. And addresses it. With wildly successful results to date.

no GM hits on all their decisions. But he’s been as good as any, IMO

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Will be fun when Washington facing Rangers in New York. Lundqvist getting huge ovations from an emotional Rangers crowd before the game.

The Washington crushing Rangers and Lundqvist saving minimum 30 shots with no goals against.

Lundqvist being a gentleman as always after the game but his eyes glowing from revenge.

I can't wait.

Oh, I forgot about the Cup, yeah that would be nice too.

Hockey is a team game and the Rangers will soon become brutally aware.

I'm fully expecting Peter Forsberg level of competitiveness from Lundqvist this season.

After the season most Rangers fan will agree (or realize) they ×××× but at least The King finally winning the Cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Will be fun when Washington facing Rangers in New York. Lundqvist getting huge ovations from an emotional Rangers crowd before the game.

The Washington crushing Rangers and Lundqvist saving minimum 30 shots with no goals against.

Lundqvist being a gentleman as always after the game but his eyes glowing from revenge.

I can't wait.

Oh, I forgot about the Cup, yeah that would be nice too.

Hockey is a team game and the Rangers will soon become brutally aware.

I'm fully expecting Peter Forsberg level of competitiveness from Lundqvist this season.

Too bad there will probably be no crowds :(

Would have been cool to watch though.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
All the best to Hank, the best goalie of his generation period. On another note, yeah this signing had 'not a good idea' written all over it from the get go but nobody listened.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Sad news for Lundqvist, I hope he can recover fully.

This is Vanecek's opportunity to prove he's NHL material. Not exactly much on the UFA market to claim that back-up spot. Ryan Miller and Craig Anderson are possibilities, but both aren't exactly convincing options at age 39.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019

This is Vanecek's opportunity to prove he's NHL material. Not exactly much on the UFA market to claim that back-up spot. Ryan Miller and Craig Anderson are possibilities, but both aren't exactly convincing options at age 39.

Agreed on all counts.

They've spent so many years developing Vanecek and he is as close to NHL-ready as he will ever be. It would be a waste to not see if he can be our 1B going forward. People forget he's only 24, was a high second round draft pick (that we traded up for), was an AHL all-star twice (won the MVP one year), and has been improving every year.

There's a chance he wouldn't clear waivers (and is on a one-way), so, I'd rather give him a shot and find a solution if he doesn't work out, later in the year. Hopefully it *wouldn't* get there, though.

EDIT: Just fixed a couple of mistakes.

Last edited:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Theres also jimmy Howard

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Huge loss. Vanny doesn’t have a minute of real NHL play + Sammy needing a mentor. I see a move at some point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad