Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist (UPD: wont play for Capitals this year)

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
So, a famous veteran goalie signed for $1.5m for one year. A low risk, high reward deal for the Caps. Here are some quotes about the deal from different people about Lundqvist joining the Caps (Swedish Caps players interviewed by a Swedish tabloid):
Bäckström: ”Otroligt kul att Henke kommer hit”

Bäckström:
"It's incredibly exciting that he'll come here. We feel we of course get extra motivation with Hank (Henke) on the team. We've faced him alot and know exactly how good he is. He's a world class goalie, that plays with a great spark and is incredibly professional. I think it's perfect for both us and him. He wants to win and so do we."
"He's one of those who've played in the league the longest without winning (the cup), so we want to indulge him with a title. It absolutely gives us an extra (motivation) boost."

Carl Hagelin (also a former teammate with Lundqvist):
"I'm happy for the teams' sake, for his sake and for my own sake. It was fantastic to play with Hank (Henke). What I utmost remember - and look forward to now - is his approach to every practice. He makes everyone, but especially the forwards, better by always giving 100% each practice. Then he will help our young goalie, Ilia Samsonov a lot too."

Lundqvist himself in another article Klart: Lundqvist till Capitals – här är hans nya lön: "I'm really pumped for this next chapter in my life. It will be incredibly fun to play for the Capitals."

About the new situation:
"This wasn't something that happened overnight. I've had a long time to process this and think about it. Already at this spring where things were going - and for 2-3 months I've definitely known. It has been a process, you go through various phases in this kind of great separation and at the end I only felt gratitude for the 15 years in New York. It has been a great experience."

Lundqvist also quickly added that he wants to continue playing hockey - and chase the dream of a Stanley Cup: "I've had time to think about it as well and, well... as I've posted on social media recently, I still think it's incredibly fun to play hockey and I still want to compete. We looked at some other franchises as well, there were some fine choices, but the Capitals felt like the right decision.

I've played alot against them and know it's a really good team. I've also heard alot of good things about the franchise and have had fruitful conversations with several, among them the GM, the coach and Bäckström (Bäckis).

At this part of the career it's of course the most important factor for me (to win the cup). You think about practical things as well (living close to New York), but foremost I want to compete and fight for the Stanley Cup. The Capitals have already won once and know what it takes to do it again. The capacity is there, it's really inspiring."

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Red Wings fan sharing...(Step Brothers parody).

Lundqvist is a stellar pick up, signed, jealous Wings fan.

upload_2020-10-9_21-45-58.png

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Strange... I was told the notion that having Lundqvist in the locker room would serve as motivation for the team was absurd.
Bäckström:
"It's incredibly exciting that he'll come here. We feel we of course get extra motivation with Hank (Henke) on the team. We've faced him alot and know exactly how good he is. He's a world class goalie, that plays with a great spark and is incredibly professional. I think it's perfect for both us and him. He wants to win and so do we."
"He's one of those who've played in the league the longest without winning (the cup), so we want to indulge him with a title. It absolutely gives us an extra (motivation) boost."

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
How many Lundqvist threads do we need? lol

edit; Didn't notice other one had been closed and the other other one had been merged
Yeah, it's a mess. I think I'm going to just take the Lundqvist comments from the FA Frenzy thread and pull them into here since that thread will get locked at some point and we'll want to talk about Hank as the season goes on.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Strange... I was told the notion that having Lundqvist in the locker room would serve as motivation for the team was absurd.

It's lip service, unless you think the team genuinely wouldn't be giving their all come the playoffs. "Oh, that Stanley Cup thing is nice and all, but we really wanna win for the hairdo wearing #35!" It's also translated from Swedish.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Well, as I see it, if the new coach can resemble a defensive system that kind of works, I think this deal can work. If Lundqvist at his age is to be effective, what he needs is a resemblance of a structure around his net. If he has a structure, he can still rob games on a consistent basis. He hasn't had a proper defensive structure around him for half a decade, or scratch that, whenever Tortorella wasn't the coach, he hasn't had a proper defensive structure. What a surprise, Hank won the Vezina when Tortorella was the coach. The only problem then was the team couldn't score for their lives.

If it's a hen house in the own zone, he struggles in the long run (he can still be excellent in monthly bursts), because Lundqvist doesn't have his reflexes that he once had. So, he has adapted by being more aggressive in net at his older age, which means he will be out of position more than his standard move; patrolling the goal line. A technique taught to him by Benoit Allaire, the famous goalie coach that was also a mentor of Giguere (if I recall?). Lundqvist excelled at this technique and it was a requirement, as the NYR mostly played as a hen house. He could never count on his defense to do his job.

Well, now he's much more experienced, but he's not a cat anymore. He needs to challenge the play to still be effective. If the Caps can take care of cross passes and rebounds, I think Lundqvist could play great. I mean, he can still recover from a botched play and make a highlight reel save or three, but there can't be a need for 10.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Well, as I see it, if the new coach can resemble a defensive system that kind of works, I think this deal can work. If Lundqvist at his age is to be effective, what he needs is a resemblance of a structure around his net. If he has a structure, he can still rob games on a consistent basis. He hasn't had a proper defensive structure around him for half a decade, or scratch that, whenever Tortorella wasn't the coach, he hasn't had a proper defensive structure. What a surprise, Hank won the Vezina when Tortorella was the coach. The only problem then was the team couldn't score for their lives.

If it's a hen house in the own zone, he struggles in the long run (he can still be excellent in monthly bursts), because Lundqvist doesn't have his reflexes that he once had. So, he has adapted by being more aggressive in net at his older age, which means he will be out of position more than his standard move; patrolling the goal line. A technique taught to him by Benoit Allaire, the famous goalie coach that was also a mentor of Giguere (if I recall?). Lundqvist excelled at this technique and it was a requirement, as the NYR mostly played as a hen house. He could never count on his defense to do his job.

Well, now he's much more experienced, but he's not a cat anymore. He needs to challenge the play to still be effective. If the Caps can take care of cross passes and rebounds, I think Lundqvist could play great. I mean, he can still recover from a botched play and make a highlight reel save or three, but there can't be a need for 10.

You should definitely get a Caps Lundqvist jersey.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

I’m excited to see the new Caps. I know their has been some derision over some of these signings (I get the Schultz consternation, completely, however as a 43yrs Caps fan, the ONE management guy that gets the benefit of the doubt from me is GMBM. In Brian I trust, and how can you not!??!!? Unless you are a newbie fan (last decade) then I guess I could maybe relate....NAH, I cannot), but In Brian I Trust.

will be a very different feel to this team, a definite sense of urgency that has been missing the last 2 years. Lavi and all these signings obv point to it. And that’s awesome.

(side note — I think @Hivemind ‘s ignore list just grew quite a bit. You guys should know not to overtly challenge the Hive. I mean, seriously....I still bear the scars, OBV)

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
It's lip service, unless you think the team genuinely wouldn't be giving their all come the playoffs. "Oh, that Stanley Cup thing is nice and all, but we really wanna win for the hairdo wearing #35!" It's also translated from Swedish.
Not at all, you think hockey players are like that when it comes to appreciation for eachother? NYR were clearly energized by having St Louis on their playoff team. Colorado was clearly energized by adding Ray Bourque to their team. The Caps are clearly energized by having Lundqvist on their team. This Caps team has deep respect for Lundqvist as a player and Bäckström's not lying. If I was a player that has faced a goddamn goalie demon for so long, I would be pumped to have him on my team. The number of times Lundqvist has ruined a Caps party are too many to count. To then have him on the team and adding the ability to have other teams having their party ruined is a great boost for morale. I don't think you understand the significane of the culture between actual players.

Caps had Holtby. Holtby was a great goalie. But Lundqvist is already a HHOF goalie in his career - even before joining the Caps. And he desperately wants to win a Cup. As said by Hagelin, having a great player that always give 100% at every practice so everyone can feel the energy is a great addition. Lundqvist hates allowing any goal, even at practice. He enters practice with the focus on saving every puck. He has been like that since always. He's a great example what it takes to be the best and be consistent. 100% drive to win on every shot. I think Samsonov will like having that kind of help to his mentality.

Just to add a highlight from his career, how can you doubt the charisma of this guy on a team? Before you watch it, you can instantly tell if it's an old save or a new save by watching the position Lundqvist has in the crease. Aggressive or patrolling the line? It's a mix. His agility is still phenomenal.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Evidently they all want to win it for themselves, but it doesn’t hurt to have a future HOFer in the lineup whose career would be crowned (see what I did there?) if he were to win the Stanley Cup as extra incentive.

Hank has two good friends and former teammates on the team, Backstrom and Hagelin. You don’t think these two guys want to help their friend reach the ultimate achievement of his hockey career?

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Hopefully Lundqvist is angry deep inside and feel he has something to prove, we all know his capacity when on his game.

Sweden and Russia, not really sure what happened, during the Viking era we were close friends. The Viking Rurik (also Riurik; Old Church Slavonic: Рюрикъ Rjurikŭ; c. 830 – 879), was probably of Swedish (definitely Scandinavian) heritage and he and his relatives ruled Russia for centuries.

Then year 1708 Carl/Charles XII trying to conquer Russia but Peter the Great (not the hockey player) hmmmm... crushing us and ever since it has been a bit tense. ;-)

Now our legendary Henrik Lundqvist "The King" was dumped for two young Russians, f*ck it, it's disturbing.

Go Washington, go.

Last edited:
Reactions: bur and 666 others

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Hopefully Lundqvist is angry deep inside and feel he has something to prove, we all know his capacity when on his game.

Sweden and Russia, not really sure what happened, during the Viking era we were close friends. The Viking Rurik (also Riurik; Old Church Slavonic: Рюрикъ Rjurikŭ; c. 830 – 879), was probably of Swedish (definitely Scandinavian) heritage and he and his relatives ruled Russia for centuries.

Then year 1708 Carl/Charles XII trying to conquer Russia but Peter the Great (not the hockey player) hmmmm... crushing us and ever since it has been a bit tense. ;-)

Now our legendary Henrik Lundqvist "The King" was dumped for two young Russians, f*ck it, it's disturbing.

Go Washington, go.

And in further commemoration of the Varangian, the Swedish King joined another nearby team to mentor a young Russian and raid other villages with the most well-known Russian player and his merry band of Viking Rus.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
You have to be excited to at least see him on the ice for the Capitals. He wanted us. We wanted him. No misgivings going into it.

I think the situation was always going to be a 1A/1B with Sammy no matter what just due to the fact is that there is going to be a shitload of back to backs this year. Glad to see that he is eager to jump right back in it. Lets hope that both he and Samsonov are ready.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad