Henrik Lundqvist says he’ll work for Rangers after retirement

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It stings to see him getting ready to play in Washington but, to me, it’s a case where the guy still believes he can play and wants to play. It couldn’t happen here due to cap. I feel like him posting all the Washington stuff is more like him coping with leaving NY and trying to hype himself up more than rubbing it in anyone’s face. It’s probably weird as can be for him and he’s trying to embrace it by ‘committing’ to the change. But who are we to say he can’t play anymore? He didn’t go chasing a payday. He obviously wants to play and wants another kick at the can. That’s his right.
Yep. Life doesn’t necessarily fit our narratives. It’s fine.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
True enough...originally I was ticked about him becoming a Cap ...but that is his business and not a big deal for me anymore LOL...I'm over it . If he gets lit up in a few games I could care less LOL....his best days are behind him for sure and I'm sure once he has a few bad games and then between periods looks around the room for a friendly face to confide in....he will know that he should have stayed around NY . But....sometimes they have to experience this before it actually sinks in.....these guys have a lot of pride and we all know Henrik by now.......

dTcAHZc.jpg

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Am I the only one that can't wait to play him and see how he performs?

I think a lot of people forget how good Hank looked early last season. He was vintage Hank for a good month, and as usual, kept this team in games they had no business being in.

He definitely regressed as the year went on though. Geo getting more time, Shesty coming up and dominating, and the realization that the end for him is near.

I think Hank will play well in Washington. The chip on his shoulder is probably going to fuel his competitiveness and he’ll do better than a lot of people expect.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I think a lot of people forget how good Hank looked early last season. He was vintage Hank for a good month, and as usual, kept this team in games they had no business being in.

He definitely regressed as the year went on though. Geo getting more time, Shesty coming up and dominating, and the realization that the end for him is near.

I think Hank will play well in Washington. The chip on his shoulder is probably going to fuel his competitiveness and he’ll do better than a lot of people expect.

Also, shortened season definitely works in his favor ... Would love to see him roll into the the playoffs vintage hank style. That is when he was at his best, I hope they give him the leash to see if he can do it for one more run.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would have preferred he retired and move into another Rangers job right away. We'd have more cap to work with. That said I'd rather not have this turn messy. He was the most important Ranger for at least a decade--a legit elite player. That the Rangers and him have something worked out for his post career still pleases me. He's a great ambassador for the team and the sport.

Should reiterate again though---show up in a Caps jersey--don't expect me to cheer for you to win. That ain't happening. Temporary as this may be--Henrik made this choice and he didn't have to.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
That "welcome to Washington" interview.......I found it especially telling in which Hank mentioned Washington being an "older team" as important.
Maybe I am reading between the lines a bit too much, but no doubt in my mind that in the last 3 years or so........with so many of his longtime teammates being traded he felt less and less "connected" with his "younger" teammates. Those NOT married, no children, and Hank being "less likely" going out and having a beer. I dunno.
Hank is obviously a family man, and he should "connect" in ways that arent always on the ice. Wish him well, just NOT against us.
This is NOT Eddie 2.0 facing a team going nowhere. Hank will be facing a team trying to make THEIR mark.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
He will come back initially as an Ambassador similar to Graves and Gilbert where he can continue to work with the Garden of Dreams and his own charities.

After that I'm sure the world will be his oyster with how dedicated he is to putting in the necessary work.

Reactions: leetch99

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I would have preferred he retired and move into another Rangers job right away. We'd have more cap to work with. That said I'd rather not have this turn messy. He was the most important Ranger for at least a decade--a legit elite player. That the Rangers and him have something worked out for his post career still pleases me. He's a great ambassador for the team and the sport.

Should reiterate again though---show up in a Caps jersey--don't expect me to cheer for you to win. That ain't happening. Temporary as this may be--Henrik made this choice and he didn't have to.

Which choice? The one to go to Washington? He wouldn't have had to make that choice if the Rangers were loyal to the contract they signed him to. It was the Rangers choice to pay him to leave, not his.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Which choice? The one to go to Washington? He wouldn't have had to make that choice if the Rangers were loyal to the contract they signed him to. It was the Rangers choice to pay him to leave, not his.

He'd become our third best and most unreliable goaltender and a player with a huge cap hit. The Rangers made the right choice. Henrik got his buyout money and decided he still wanted to play---that's his decision. Not saying he didn't have every right to go that route but he's not the first guy in the league or the first Rangers player to ever get bought out so this talk about 'loyalty' here is a bit misplaced. Both the team and the player then made self interested business decisions. From my perspective it's good that there is a promise between team and former player to reconnect again when Henrik does retire. It kind of puts paid to the notion that there's any animosity. I'm not interested in debating this as a terrible turn of events because to my mind it's not. Would I have rather Henrik retire as a Rangers player? Yes. Would I rather we'd walk away from his entire cap hit? Yes again. That's where I'm at. It didn't work out that way and I wish Henrik good luck but not when he's in a uniform playing us.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I think both sides have handled this situation as good as can be expected. Sucks to see him in another jersey, but it's his life and if he thinks he can still play at this level, good for him. To the Rangers credit, they did what they felt they needed to do for the team and didn't get caught up in the sentimentality. Going to be a weird/difficult season regardless.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada

He will only do better if the team in front of hm plays better . As far as I am concerned the Rangers played much better in front of Georgie and Shesty then they did Hank most games this past season .....but then again Hank had no puck moving skills whatsoever and something he probably should have spent much more time on practicing/ improving on while a Ranger if for nothing else but to help out his own self since we had a few guys that also had no puck retrieving / clearing the zone skills . I doubt being another year older will improve his on ice performance ....aging tends not to make professional athletes improve . He will be average at best as that is about where the Cap team is positioned in my opinion . Good luck Hank...

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Then why not just retire?

Call me one of "those" fans, but galavanting around DC on his social media that has been more active in the past month than in his entire 15 year career with the team, and glory hunting with Washington for one more run at a Cup and for one more paycheck rubs me the wrong way if that was the plan all along.

He can clean the toilets in the blue seats and earn his way upwards, if he wants.
You're definitely one of "those" fans.

The man has more than earned the right to continue playing if he's able to get a contract. And he was. Who are we to tell him what to do? He was completely loyal to the team until he was contractually unable to continue by team decision. Remember, it wasn't his choice to leave the Rangers. It was forced on him.

So let's not also force upon him the requirement that he needs to retire from the game he loves before he's good and ready, and there's teams willing to hire him. We don't have that right. Nor should we.

He has one, maybe two years left in his life where he can continue playing at a professional level. To be at that level and be told you need to stop just because your team dumped you when there are other teams willing to pay, just doesn't seem fair to him.

And if he wants to come back to the Rangers afterwards to help the organization with its scouting, GM, or charitable efforts, then even better. He's been a pure class act from start to finish.

So now it's the fans' turn to be classy in return. And you failed with your post.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Henrik earned the right to do whatever the hell he wants. I support him 100% in trying to win a cup with Washington since we BOUGHT HIM OUT. So to all those fans who feel he tarnished his legacy as a Ranger, too damn bad for you.

Reactions: Cynical TyranT

jacko23

Lurkers unite!
Jul 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
You're damn right I'm bitter. It's the same as Brodeur playing for the Blues before retiring. It tarnished his legacy, IMO.

Besides Devils fans and people who follow hockey more than casually, I doubt anyone really remembers Brodeur playing with the Blues. I dont remember if he got more than one start and I probably would have never thought of it again if you hadnt brought it up.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
St. Louis Blues goalie Martin Brodeur used to play for the Devils?
I know one thing for sure...Brodeur is one of the most sickening ex NHL players in any TV commercial . I watched many Habs for years do these but Brodeur seems like the most obnoxious one ever !!! Every time I see a commercial of his come on I wish Sean Avery would pop up on the screen and antagonize him again.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
You're definitely one of "those" fans.

The man has more than earned the right to continue playing if he's able to get a contract. And he was. Who are we to tell him what to do? He was completely loyal to the team until he was contractually unable to continue by team decision. Remember, it wasn't his choice to leave the Rangers. It was forced on him.

So let's not also force upon him the requirement that he needs to retire from the game he loves before he's good and ready, and there's teams willing to hire him. We don't have that right. Nor should we.

He has one, maybe two years left in his life where he can continue playing at a professional level. To be at that level and be told you need to stop just because your team dumped you when there are other teams willing to pay, just doesn't seem fair to him.

And if he wants to come back to the Rangers afterwards to help the organization with its scouting, GM, or charitable efforts, then even better. He's been a pure class act from start to finish.

So now it's the fans' turn to be classy in return. And you failed with your post.
Alright, one more and then I really am back to lurking. Admittedly, I had a rough day yesterday and was told by more than one person that I was being short with them. Back to the subject at hand...

I'm sure retirement was discussed between him, Gorton, and JD. Power to him if he still wants to play. I'm fine with that.

Hank had a little bit of snark in his post game interview answers at times. I didn't blame him for it sometimes but other times I did feel that it was uncalled for. Maybe I'm reading into the social media aspect of it too much, but some of the tweets I felt were digs at New York and the Rangers even if he wasn't outwardly saying it. That's what rubs me the wrong way. It's great he wants to come back and work with the organization in some capacity. I hope for nothing less than him to get his Cup with the Rangers as a coach or member of the front office. I do think he is tarnishing his Rangers legacy by playing elsewhere. That being said, he's still a top 5 Ranger of all time. No contest.

No one bats 1.000 on their takes and opinions on here. I may be totally off with this one. But that is my opinion and I stand by it. Reading some of the responses have prompted some good discussion, and others doing nothing but calling it a garbage take aren't even worth debating or responding to. Those replies are why I hardly post here any more.

As you were...

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Then why not just retire?

Call me one of "those" fans, but galavanting around DC on his social media that has been more active in the past month than in his entire 15 year career with the team, and glory hunting with Washington for one more run at a Cup and for one more paycheck rubs me the wrong way if that was the plan all along.

He can clean the toilets in the blue seats and earn his way upwards, if he wants.
He was basically forced out of NY I’m sure he’s much rather still be a Ranger

Reactions: Rangers743

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad